UKC

thermarest....cheaper equivalent?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 22 Jul 2012
any advice for a thermaresr cheaper version.....i recall on here a few years ago someone posting a link to something cheaper and equally good....

Cheers
 And Climb 22 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966: Go Outdoors do one for about £35 under their north ridge brand. Looks nearly identical to the thermarest and the same weight. It's called the alpine light.
 Chi Cheng 22 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966:
Alpkit? Base 180 - £30
Flat4matt 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966:

North ridge alpine light thumbs up! Plus if you work at it you can get it small than the specification says
 stonemaster 23 Jul 2012
In reply to Flat4matt: Managed to make the foam mat smaller and lighter by cutting s bit off. Wouldn't recommend that for the inflatable though....
 Guy Hurst 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966: I've got an original TAR full size mat you could have for £25 posted. It's been stored flat under a bed and is in perfect nick, but even if something does go wrong with it then TAR are great at replacing stuff, which is a plus over other brands. Also got a 3/4 length mat made by some Spanish firm which you could have for £15. Just as well made as the TAR, but without the bonus of the lifetime guarantee.
 SFM 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966:

Might have been me raving about my Robens mat? I got it from Go Outdoors who don't seem to do them anymore. It's a great mat, very comfy and still going strong after 7/8 years.
 Radioactiveman 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966:

Second for the alpkit mats, have a couple of different types. Good price and seem to be lasting ok so far.
 Monk 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966:

I've got a genuine Therm-a-rest and an Alpkit version. Both are really good, and although specced for different jobs (one ultralight, one standard), I can't really see any differences in quality between them, yet I paid a shed load more for the Therm-a-rest.
In reply to stonemaster:

> Managed to make the foam mat smaller and lighter by cutting s bit off. Wouldn't recommend that for the inflatable though....

If you go to http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_for... you'll find quite a few examples of people who have shortened self-inflating mats...

ah, here we go...

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_disp...

Sadly, you need to be a member to see the accompanying article.
 alooker 23 Jul 2012
In reply to abr1966: alpkitalpkitalpkit
 stonemaster 23 Jul 2012
In reply to captain paranoia: Ta for that. There are some very strange people there... One would have just paid the money for a 3/4 size.
OP abr1966 23 Jul 2012
In reply to stonemaster: Thanks everyone for the helpful replies..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...