UKC

Places to visit near Wasdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chalk 25 Jul 2012
Only a couple of week's now, till I head up to the lake district (wasdale and then ullswater). I've got a few things planned, but after some more idea's of places to visit (mainly generally nice walk's/outside area's) with easy parking.

Also are there any nice beaches near by? Not too bothered about sandy beaches, but looking for somewhere a bit rocky/pebbly for a change of scenery (again needs to have easy close parking somewhere).
J1234 25 Jul 2012
In reply to Chalk: An excellent day is to catch the bus from St Bees to Whitehaven and then walk back, there are things to see in whitahven so worth an hour or two before you start walking back.
Cheers sjc
heathermeek 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Chalk: Silecroft beach is just lovely....parking and toilets. From this car park you can also walk up Black Comb.....well worth it as its usually quiet and good views....when not in cloud!

Dare I say....Sellafield visitors centre!!!

This website has good walks and links to things to do: http://www.amblesideonline.co.uk/

Also, try LDNP events guide, most events are free
 gingerdave13 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Chalk: For something slightly different you could drive down to the coast at ravenglass and then catch a train on the ravenglass + eskdale railway. Then either do a linear walk along muncaster fell between eskdale green and the watermill stations. Or you could go all the way up to dalegarth and then walk up harter fell and time it to catch the train back..
aultguish 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Chalk: Muncaster Castle
 toddles 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Chalk:

I found the Florence Mine near Egremont interesting.
They do an underground tour. it's a good one for rainy day.
http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/florence-mine-heritage-centre.htm
 MJH 26 Jul 2012
In reply to toddles: When did you go as I thought Florence had closed (unfortunately).

If you like churches then Wasdale and Gosforth churches might be worth a quick look (though they won't take you long!)

I'd agree with the Ravenglass & Eskdale Rly - you can also do a walk up to Stanley Force.
 toddles 27 Jul 2012
In reply to MJH:
> (In reply to toddles) When did you go as I thought Florence had closed (unfortunately).
>
> If you like churches then Wasdale and Gosforth churches might be worth a quick look (though they won't take you long!)
>
> I'd agree with the Ravenglass & Eskdale Rly - you can also do a walk up to Stanley Force.

I went there a few years ago now!
Shame it's closed, it was very interesting all that history about 'The red men of Cumbria'
The bloke who ran it was so enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
Chalk 28 Jul 2012
Thanks for all the replies. Should keep me busy for a couple of days

Is silecroft beach the best in the area? Also where's the best place to park for it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...