UKC

Who is or was UKC's greatest athlete outside of climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Al Evans 26 Jul 2012
Couple of suggestions, I think IainRUK runs fells for Wales, and Bruce French (who no longer posts) kept wicket for England.
 the sheep 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
Wasnt Dean an ex rugby pro?
OP Al Evans 26 Jul 2012
In reply to the sheep: If we are talking about climbers rather than UKC personell then I suppose Chris Brasher has to go up there being an Olympic gold medal winner and pacing the first ever 4 min mile.
Ok here's anothe one, and I know the answer to this and it's not Brian Blessed, who is the best climbing full time actor from the UK?
 chris fox 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to the sheep) If we are talking about climbers rather than UKC personell then I suppose Chris Brasher has to go up there being an Olympic gold medal winner and pacing the first ever 4 min mile.
> Ok here's anothe one, and I know the answer to this and it's not Brian Blessed, who is the best climbing full time actor from the UK?

Thats gotta be Bear Grylls !!!!!!

OP Al Evans 26 Jul 2012
In reply to chris fox: Nope!
OP Al Evans 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans: A clue, he is no longer acting as such but is a full time fight choreographer, often with the RSC.
In reply to Al Evans:

Pete Livesey went on to excel in orienteering and canoeing as well as in fell running.
 Skyfall 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

But did he ever post on UKC?
In reply to Al Evans: Wild guess but the only climber I knew who was a professional actor and appeared in Coronation Street was Terry King.

Al
 Skyfall 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

In answer to your original question, that's easy...

Rich Simpson who has run a sub 4 min mile, a sub 2.30 marathon and is an undefeated amateuer boxer! Way to go...
 nw 26 Jul 2012
In reply to JonC:
Whattaguy!
 Doug 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans: sounds like Terry King
 Doug 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Pete Livesey went on to excel in orienteering and canoeing as well as in fell running.

wasn't he a good cross country runner before taking up climbing ?
 SFM 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

DJ Viper surely?
OP Al Evans 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Wild guess but the only climber I knew who was a professional actor and appeared in Coronation Street was Terry King.
>
> Al

You got it
In reply to JonC:

Misread thread title -- sadly Pete almost certainly shuffled off this mortal coil before UKC started!
In reply to Al Evans: I would have done the first ascent of Regent Street at Millstone but Terry beat me to it by about 10 minutes. If only we hadn't had a cooked breakfast in order to gird up our loins. I haven't seen him in nearly 40 years.

Al
 Banned User 77 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans: Thanks Al but there are far better runners than me on here.. David Wright was a very good runner, not sure he still posts.

There's also a fair few footballers, Enty's very handy on a bike too..

nw 26 Jul 2012
In reply to JonC:
No longer undefeated...
youtube.com/watch?v=f7yAQqWgecQ&
 Enty 26 Jul 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

Not this year mate

E
 Tobias at Home 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Al Evans: International Master John Cox deserves an honourary mention!
 victorclimber 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: I would have said Pete Livesey as well
 Skyfall 26 Jul 2012
In reply to victorclimber:

read the post title carefully ....
OP Al Evans 27 Jul 2012
In reply to victorclimber:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness) I would have said Pete Livesey as well

Actually Phil Burke who does still post on here beat Pete Livesey in the UK junior mile (or so he tells me) He also finished second to Seb Coe in the Dovedale Dash (i was there for that one
 rocksol 03 Aug 2012
Hi Al
A late reply to the running thread. Actually I usually beat Pete at cross country/fell running [remember the Lakes Karrimor?] But for a running climber; Bob Toogood, WORLD vets 10K road champ!! The first time Bob went "proper" running was at Pete,s moving in party at Malham, where Bob "trollied" him when we went for a run over the fells. Pete didn,t believe Bob had never run competitively. Pete was however a fantastic all round athlete, climber, caver, paddler and I miss him and his tales, scheming and innuendos. Fantastic bloke!
 Trangia 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to the sheep) If we are talking about climbers rather than UKC personell then I suppose Chris Brasher has to go up there being an Olympic gold medal winner and pacing the first ever 4 min mile.
>

Hasn't Kelly Holmes got into rock climbing?
 ledifer 04 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Birdy num num?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...