UKC

Unlocking a phone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 26 Jul 2012
I have just bought a phone. I now need to unlock it. Is there a safe free place to follow todo this. I see there are loads online but I'm unsure whether to trust them in case they want to damage the phone.
Any idea?

Thankyou.
 Darkskys 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: Pop down to your local market or high street, there will be someone that can sort it out for you
Plus depending what phone you have, have a good look online as you can sometimes do it for free as the high street/marketwill charge
 EZ 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominicandave:

You may get the bods on here to help you find (meaning: I'll have a look and others may also) a relevant piece of software to do the job yourself if you could provide the make, model and if you can find the settings area on the phone then give us the software version.
 Indy 26 Jul 2012

I've tried to do it free online but have to say I've never actually succeeded.

As has already been suggested pop down to your local market or the down at heel part of the high street where you'll find loads of independent phone shops. I've had it done there for a fiver but definitely no more than £10.
 Only a hill 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Darkskys:
> (In reply to Dominicandave) Pop down to your local market or high street, there will be someone that can sort it out for you
> Plus depending what phone you have, have a good look online as you can sometimes do it for free as the high street/marketwill charge

Just be careful if you go down the cheap and cheerful route. I work in a phone shop and I've seen numerous examples of phones getting bricked this way (or the software becoming corrupt afterwards).

The only 100% certain and safe way of getting an unlocked phone is to buy it unlocked from the retailer.
 Wallm0nkey 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: Not sure about other networks but O2s website has options to unlock O2 phones. Only tried on iPhones I've had so far but free and it worked I asked at two market stalls before out of curiosity. One quoted £75 to unlock and iphone4 another said it's totally impossible...
 Dave 88 27 Jul 2012

Do you mean unlock it so it can be used on any network? If so, call whatever network it's locked to and ask for an NUC code. If its Vodafone, expect to wait 6-8 years.
 Fraser 27 Jul 2012

I tried twice to get Virgin to do mine legally and at a cost, but both times their suggested method failed, even when the guy in the Virgin store tried it himself! In the end, I went to the local phone repair shop where the guy did it in about 10mins and charged £20.
 two06 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: what phone is it?
0Unknown0 27 Jul 2012
Hi all, and thankyou for the responses. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Europa, and it is locked to 3. I see a person asked for some other info, could you tell me exactly what it is you need, and where/how I can find it.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
jimmy6978 27 Jul 2012
I'm sure that the phone networks legally have to unlock it for free now if you call them.
0Unknown0 28 Jul 2012
In reply to jimmy6978: Yes, they will but they charge &15.
Someone said above they might beable to know the code with the details.
So it's a Samsung galaxy Europa GTI5500, and locked to three.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
 TiredJazmyn 28 Jul 2012

just a quick 2 min search on google,lmfao. First step shows if phone is locked to carrier etc, and this step aparantly avoids brickin the phone but I dont need to a smy galaxy is not carrier locked,lol

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17148825&postcount=334
0Unknown0 28 Jul 2012
In reply to another_mark: I can find they way to break the phone,there are many examples of this all over the net, and also pay sites to get codes. I am simply looking to get the code yo put in the phone, not run Dos and go into the nerve centre of the phone. These examples are great ways to apparently brick the phone,the other is not free.
0Unknown0 28 Jul 2012
In reply to TiredJazmyn: This is not a safe way, to do it, a great way to lock up the phone.
 another_mark 29 Jul 2012
In reply to Dominicandave: You will not get a generic free code.

The code you need will be specific to your phone - depends on the carrier lock and the imei number.

Nobody is going to do the work to sort that out for you for free.

If you want free then you need to put some effort in. Rooting the phone gives you proper access to the system - can be done in seconds with applications like superoneclick. Once your phone is rooted then you have the ability to edit things to remove the lock.

If you don;t want to get into the internals then pay the money.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...