UKC

Best earphones for biking_good bass and stability

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jazzyjackson 26 Jul 2012
Anyone have any good recommendations from experience!

I'm on my 3rd set, Seinnheiser in ear buds, bass is pish and they fall out despite almost pushing them right up to my brain!

I want strong bass and an earbud that wont fall out!

Anyone? Listen to a lot of bass heavy stuff but current phones just give tinnie treble, its awful.

JJ
 kevin stephens 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: If you've been watching the TdF you'll notice that the riders all use sticky tape to secure their ear buds for their race radios.
 andy 26 Jul 2012
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) If you've been watching the TdF you'll notice that the riders all use sticky tape to secure their ear buds for their race radios.

But they do tend to just have the one.
OP jazzyjackson 26 Jul 2012
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) If you've been watching the TdF you'll notice that the riders all use sticky tape to secure their ear buds for their race radios.

Not really what I had in mind when I was thinking about good bass and sound quality.

If I use hostage tape I could potentially tear my ears off after every ride!

That might be ok if I've been listening to Marylin Manson but I'm more of a jazz music man...shoo bop...cha cha cha schwiiiinnnngggggg. NOT
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> [...]
>
> But they do tend to just have the one.

One ear?
 andy 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: One earphone. I assume so they can also hear what's going on around them.
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) One earphone. I assume so they can also hear what's going on around them.

never, they're listening to Shabba Ranks in mono for sure!
jolivague 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: Phillips do some over the ear sport earphones for about £30 in HMV, just the job for what you're after & you can wash them under the tap too!
Removed User 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: shure e2c totally in ear and soundproofing for good bass. don't blame met if you get run over though. . .
 mp3ferret 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: i have a pair of sennheiser over the ear type - with band around back of your head (just below your cycling helmet). Can't rembember how much they were - but they sound great.
 Enty 26 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson:
>
>
> I'm on my 3rd set, Seinnheiser in ear buds, bass is pish and they fall out despite almost pushing them right up to my brain!
>
>

I've been using Seinnheiser Sport Buds for 6 years and I love them - so sorry I can't help you. (and I like my bass!)

E

OP jazzyjackson 28 Jul 2012
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) shure e2c totally in ear and soundproofing for good bass. don't blame met if you get run over though. . .

errr. thanks : 0
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson)
> [...]
>
> I've been using Seinnheiser Sport Buds for 6 years and I love them - so sorry I can't help you. (and I like my bass!)
>
> E

thanks for your post. v helpful
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) shure e2c totally in ear and soundproofing for good bass. don't blame met if you get run over though. . .

shure get great reviews, could be worth a try. ta
 Enty 28 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
> thanks for your post. v helpful

De rien.

E
Tricky 29 Jul 2012

The SoundMagic E30's might be worth a look. They're designed to be worn in the 'over ear' position, but can be worn as normal. I've got a pair of the slightly older E10's and the sound quality is (in my opinion) extremely impressive. The reviews all seem to be very positive as well.
OP jazzyjackson 29 Jul 2012
In reply to Tricky:
>
> The SoundMagic E30's might be worth a look. They're designed to be worn in the 'over ear' position, but can be worn as normal. I've got a pair of the slightly older E10's and the sound quality is (in my opinion) extremely impressive. The reviews all seem to be very positive as well.

Thanks for that : )
checking review now.

It's bad enough hearing what's going on round about you when you're going at anything like a respectable speed when you're wearing a helmet. Listening to music whilst riding on the road strikes me as nothing less than barmy.

Imagine trying to fight an insurance claim if you've been wearing headphones when you were struck from behind by some careless knobhead who didn't give you enough space.
Rigid Raider 30 Jul 2012
Amazing that this thread got as far as it did before somebody pointed out this obvious problem.

I like to be able to hear what's coming up behind me and hear the sounds of the countryside.
 simonclimbs 30 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: If you wear headphones whilst cycling you're an idiot. Your vulnerable enough on a bike as it is without depriving yourself of your hearing. RIP
 Fraser 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
>
> Listening to music whilst riding on the road strikes me as nothing less than barmy.

Couldn't agree more. Don't say you weren't warned!
In reply to jazzyjackson: Bose IE2 headphones. These never come out, are comfortable and have great sound.

NIGBEE 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Fraser:

So how does a car that's going to kill me sound different to on that isn't? I sure cant tell. Silent death buses on the other hand....

I can still hear fine with my earphones on, cant even hear the music over wind noise going downhill
 Fraser 30 Jul 2012
In reply to NIGBEE:
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> So how does a car that's going to kill me sound different to on that isn't?

Er duh! It's to do with maximising your awareness of what's going on around you. If I can hear something approaching even just a wee bit better than with headphones on, that'll do for me.

David Hooper 30 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: there are two main design of sport headphones. Those which exclude ambient noise for use in the gym (gym sound system,machines,grunters,etc)and those designed to let ambient noise to filter through (for runners etc)so that approaching traffic and other potential hazards can be heard. Sport phone v sound quality is always gonna be a compromise anyway - different design demands.

Personally I use for running and gentle mtbing but couldn't justify for roadbiking which is hazardous enough anyway.
 Enty 30 Jul 2012
In reply to simonclimbs:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) If you wear headphones whilst cycling you're an idiot. Your vulnerable enough on a bike as it is without depriving yourself of your hearing. RIP

What? all the time with no exceptions?

E

NIGBEE 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Fraser:
> It's to do with maximising your awareness.. If I can hear something approaching

So what do you do if you hear something approaching? How does it change the way you ride? Part of my commute is along a busy road with an almost constant flow of traffic, which one sounds like it will hit me?

OP jazzyjackson 30 Jul 2012
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to Lord of Starkness)
> [...]
>
> Couldn't agree more. Don't say you weren't warned!

Take your advice and stick it up yer arse!
In reply to Rigid Raider:
> Amazing that this thread got as far as it did before somebody pointed out this obvious problem.
>
> I like to be able to hear what's coming up behind me and hear the sounds of the countryside.

The thread wasn't intended as a platform for sad people to give lifestyle advice to everyone else!

Yanis Nayu 30 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Fraser)
> [...]
>
> Take your advice and stick it up yer arse!

Class.
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> [...]
>
> Class.

he did ask for it! ; )
Safety nazi
 Fraser 30 Jul 2012

Forgive me, I had you figured for someone with at least a bit of common sense. I genuinely hope you don't come to regret your arrogance and ignorance.

PS you were the one asking for advice, not me. Don't ask for it if you can't take it.
In reply to Fraser:
>
> Forgive me, I had you figured for someone with at least a bit of common sense. I genuinely hope you don't come to regret your arrogance and ignorance.
>
> PS you were the one asking for advice, not me. Don't ask for it if you can't take it.

i asked about earphones. why did u have me figured for someone with a "bit common sense" ? when did I ask you for a safety analysis of enjoying music when I ride? get a life and stop hijacking threads with unwanted advice ; )

kevin stephens 30 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Fraser)
> [...]
>
> ..stop hijacking threads with unwanted advice ; )

are you new to UKC?
> [...]
>
> are you new to UKC?

should know better but the tone of these assholes prompts a certain response ; )

Can't believe they climb with such a risk averse attitude! They prob buy insurance against bed wetting.
 kevin stephens 30 Jul 2012
Well if you want my opinion re your climbing analogy. Climbing is not about being risk averse but risk management. When I climb at Gogarth I wear a helmet, when I cycle I like to hear what's going on around me. Also for me the intrusion of music would detract from the enjoyment of cycling
 sebrider 31 Jul 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: Like it Jazzy...insurance for bed wetting lol! Some sound life advice in that lot, you should be grateful, all you wanted was a litle more bass! Personlly I reckon the Misterons are worth asking
 kevin stephens 02 Aug 2012
In reply to jazzyjackson: From Bradley Wiggins: "He added: "[People] shouldn't be riding along with iPods and phones and things on"
 Jamie Hageman 02 Aug 2012
> (In reply to kevin stephens)
> [...]
>
> but I'm more of a jazz music man...shoo bop...cha cha cha schwiiiinnnngggggg.

Actually, jazz is more: flibbedy bow flibbedy bow flibbedy bow wow wow, shibbedy bum bum do, shibbedy bum bum do, dah dah da-woo...
 Fraser 02 Aug 2012

> i asked about earphones.

You got advice regarding them.

> why did u have me figured for someone with a "bit common sense" ?

When I saw your profile saying you were 32. By that age, most of us have acquired some - clearly you are an exception.

> when did I ask you for a safety analysis of enjoying music when I ride? get a life and stop hijacking threads with unwanted advice ; )

You're coming across as the one with the attitude problem here pal. When you grow up a bit, you'll hopefully realise that.
Unless you're knocked off your bike first.

Rigid Raider 02 Aug 2012

The Muppet Show, more like.
OP jazzyjackson 06 Aug 2012
> Well if you want my opinion

NO
In reply to Fraser:
>
> [...]
>
> You got advice regarding them.
>
>
> [...]
>
> When I saw your profile saying you were 32. By that age, most of us have acquired some - clearly you are an exception.
>
>
> [...]
>
> You're coming across as the one with the attitude problem here pal. When you grow up a bit, you'll hopefully realise that.
> Unless you're knocked off your bike first.

yawn.....
In reply to sebrider:
> (In reply to jazzyjackson) Like it Jazzy...insurance for bed wetting lol! Some sound life advice in that lot, you should be grateful, all you wanted was a litle more bass! Personlly I reckon the Misterons are worth asking

Good point Sir. I will seek their sage advice asap. I can guarantee their super-human perspective is light years away from some of the nannying soap box chutney ferrets that roam UKC lecturing on sensible bed times and stain resistant underwear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...