UKC

The Wiggo / Sky affect

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jabbott 26 Jul 2012
I've noticed loads more people out on bikes on my two days commuting this week (even a chap in a world champ jersey this evening!!!). OK so it may have someting to do with the big-orange-fiery-thing-in-the-sky coming out at last, but I'm sure the Tour has brought people out, and long may it continue! Hopefully the more people get out on the road, the more aware car drivers will become.

Cheers,
Jamie
 stonemaster 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott: And so say all (well, hopefully, lots) of us...
 kevin stephens 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott: That's nothing. Last week I was slowly struggling up one of my local climbs (ukc shirt), when I got to the top a man in a White van gave me a peep and cheery wave passing me after waiting patiently behind me on the climb
In reply to Jabbott: I've been out on my bike for the first time in months... I'd say it was 50% sunshine and 50% TdF inspiration!

I'm going to resist the urge to deck myself out in replica Sky team/king of the mountains/world champion kit though
 JLS 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

I went on my annual cycle ride today. I hired a mountain bike and did the Sella Ronda route while here climbing in the Dolomites.

I haven't seen many Sky tops here abouts but I do see the Liquigas B squad out most days. They passed me today in the big ring while I was on the tiny inner ring on the mountain bike.
 balmybaldwin 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

After just finishing a LEJOG ride(OK so I didn't make it due to knee issues but others did)
Saw more and more team sky kits out on the road as our 10 days went on.
 andy 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: This is ace:

pic.twitter.com/r7j3U61i
 Richard Baynes 26 Jul 2012
In reply to andy: Just been out for an hour and could only find a bright yellow cycling shirt to wear ... was dreading the Wiggo comments from the Weegies but escaped uscathed.
 woolsack 26 Jul 2012
In reply to andy: Apt that it is the Seven Stars pub
What Goes Up 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott: It's worked for me - I want to get a roadie now.
 tspoon1981 26 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott: I wouldn't mind, its just most around here look like this

http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/fatguyinspandex-1-01.jpg

And the last group of people you want to be following are fatties in spandex
OP Jabbott 27 Jul 2012
In reply to What Goes Up:
> (In reply to Jamie Abbott) It's worked for me - I want to get a roadie now.

So do I! With a 2 month old the chances to get out mountain biking are some what limited, much more likely to get out for an hour or so on the road locally. I bet my chances of getting a deal on 2012 model in a few weeks time are going to be slim-to-feck-all!

Cheers,
Jamie
 the sheep 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:
Made me smile when i passed a couple of folks out in their yellow t shirts during the week
 Escher 27 Jul 2012
In reply to kevin stephens: I had someone pull over, this week, after overtaking me too close to apologise for doing so. New one on me!
 Toby S 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

Have you seen Wiggo's latest photo: https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status/228767990110359552/photo/1 Looking good Mr Wiggins!
OP Jabbott 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Toby S: HaHa Good look! I wounder if that's him practicing his podium celebrations...

Cheers,
Jamie
 LastBoyScout 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

Haven't been out on the road bike since I did the Etape Acte 2, although the mountain bike came out last Sunday.

Currently waiting for my team top to arrive - one of my friends works for one of the sponsors It isn't a Sky team one
 nniff 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

You want to try living next to Box Hill! All shapes and sizes are out in ridiculous numbers, but there is a disturbing amount of excessively stretched lycra (and not in a good way).

Mind you, one swarthy looking chap was absolutely monstering one of the surrounding hills, which rather made up for getting stuck behind someone else who was considerably less athletic (and the road sweeper, which was doing a fairly good job, except for one of the sharp bends in Headley where it managed to excavate some of the verge and deposit it on the road)
 the sheep 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Toby S:
That is part of the official kit given to the athletes at kitting out
 Toby S 27 Jul 2012
In reply to the sheep:

He looks like a member of Goldie Looking Chain!
 the sheep 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Toby S:

True I think its a great snap.
 Rubbishy 27 Jul 2012
In reply to andy:

Cracking photo, the loneliness of the long distance bike rider......
In reply to Jabbott:

One of the young lads in our club ( a very promising junior rider) was out for a training ride round the local lanes on Tuesday afternoon, when he spied a guy in Sky kit ahead of him who was having a gentle leg turner. Imagine his surprise when he caught up to the sky rider to find that it was non other than Wiggo himself! They rode together for about an hour, just chatting, and as they came back though Brad's home village stopped so that the lad could get a photo with him. Brad even asked the lad for his contact details so they could keep in touch. -- Top bloke.

gingerdave13 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: awesome!

there has been a bit more stretched lycra round my way.. had a crafy MTB ride last night just to make the most of the weather but amazingly (or not) still found muddy tracks.
 GrahamD 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

I'm usually not a fan of replica kit of any sort but at least with the Team Sky kit people are using it to actually get out on their bikes rather than shouting at a TV in the bar.

In truth, I think there has been a steady increase in the number of people on the road irrespective of the tour. 10 years ago I'd have the lanes round me to myself to potter round but now I'm regularly seeing people of all standards out on the road.
 Mr Fuller 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Lord of Starkness: That's awesome. I can't wait for the road race tomorrow and for the chance of British riders holding the TDF yellow, the world champ's jersey and Olympic gold. That would just be ridiculous. Also, Wiggo or Froome have to have a good chance in the time trial
 yorkshireman 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:
> I've noticed loads more people out on bikes on my two days commuting this week

Part of Sky's aim was not just to be a successful trade team, but to encourage more participation in cycling in the UK*, so it looks like they're winning on both counts. It's great to see, and although I've not lived in the UK since last year, I'd noticed an yearly increase in the number of people taking to the roads on their bikes.

This years Etape was positively infested with Brits!

*OK, their main aim is to shift more Sky TV subscriptions, but you get my drift.
 Rubbishy 27 Jul 2012

Feedback is that peeps want another run of UKC tops, so I got a price from Endura = £35 a pop.

The previous supplier Spiuk was ok, but compared to my Ilkley Harriers top by Endura they don't come close.

Minimum order is 15. I can design a long sleeve and shorts as well .

If the response is strong I'll do a seperate thread.
 the sheep 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
I would like one please
 Mr Fuller 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby: Me too please.
 nniff 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
Me too please
 woolsack 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
>

>
> Minimum order is 15. I can design a long sleeve and shorts as well .
>

Could you get Stella to do them?
 yorkshireman 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:
>
>
> Feedback is that peeps want another run of UKC tops, so I got a price from Endura = £35 a pop.
>
> The previous supplier Spiuk was ok, but compared to my Ilkley Harriers top by Endura they don't come close.
>
> Minimum order is 15. I can design a long sleeve and shorts as well .
>
> If the response is strong I'll do a seperate thread.

I'd be interested - got a photo of one though?

BTW John, I think we chatted on Col du Mollard on the Etape.

Chris the Tall 27 Jul 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:
As much as I dislike Rupert Murdoch and all facets of his insidious empire, I have to admit that James Murdoch seems pretty genuine in his love of cycling and his desire to get more people on bikes. Plus he's pretty incompetent as a media mogul !

Still not buying a sky box though !
 Rubbishy 27 Jul 2012
 Rubbishy 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

oh, and the pics are of an older iteration - the Orange House web address has been changed and I tweaked / tidied it a bit
 yorkshireman 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Excellent - well count me in - hope they're more comfortable than your Ilkley shorts if what you told me was anything to go by.

I got caught (well sat and waited) for the broom wagon about 4km into the final climb up to La Toussuire, was completely done in - definitely keen for next year though.
 Ridge 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

Well my commute home now takes about 15 minutes longer than usual due to tailbacks caused by fat blokes wobbling along country lanes where the truck behind them can't safely overtake...
OP Jabbott 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Ridge: If you can't beat 'em...

Cheers,
Jamie
 lynda 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby: id be interested
 the abmmc 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby: I'd like a shirt as well please. Tom
 balmybaldwin 27 Jul 2012
In reply to John Rushby:

Put me down for one please, (short sleeve)
In reply to John Rushby:

Count me in for a new one -- long sleeves if possible.

Glad to know you're changing from Spiuk -- I found the material got 'clicked' far too easily, and quickly started looking tatty.

Our club tops are by GSG and seem to be pretty durable -- they also have more capacious pockets and the latest ones even have a small zipped pocket for loose change!
 subalpine 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott: anyone know the RAL code of Wiggo's yellow frame?
 MJ 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Jabbott:

Just have a look at the amount of cycling threads currently live on UKC...
 yorkshireman 27 Jul 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Jamie Abbott)
>
> Just have a look at the amount of cycling threads currently live on UKC...

Oh, I thought this was UKCycling, not UKClimbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...