UKC

Recommend me an acclimatisation peak for the Matterhorn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 27 Jul 2012
What would people recommend? Something high enough, not too technical and ideally fairly accessible from Zermatt.

We plan to be out there mid August.

Robert
 SteveK 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: Pollux SW ridge, Castor, Breithorn half or full traverse.
 Gman 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Zinal Rothorn.
 bigbobbyking 27 Jul 2012

Mettelhorn is non-technical and 3,500m. Nice walk. This thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=514117 suggests a pair of crampons are prudent, but possibly unnecessary. I can't remember if I needed them when I was up there.
 edunn 27 Jul 2012

Breithorn. Piece of piss and gets you nice and high.

Possibly worth doing something around the 3,500 mark first if you actually want to enjoy it.
 gingerdave13 27 Jul 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: the klien matterhorn is quite interesting and fun, briethorn is also cool.

for added kudos and to avoid the hoards climb the central peak not by the normal route - but theres a line next to a rocky ridge direct up the south face.

Don't have a guide book to hand (it is in there) and can't figure it out from the online info - but it's darned fab!
 AndyG71 27 Jul 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:
Yeah ... that would be the SSW Spur to Central Summit ... did it a couple of years ago and had it to ourselves despite hundreds of folks flogging up the usual flank route to W. summit. Good description in Martin Moran's 4000m Peaks guide.
 BenTiffin 28 Jul 2012
In reply to Roberttaylor: The Ober Rothorn is just short of 3500m and involves a pleasant walk from the top cable car station.

I used the Stockhorn from the Cornergrat once - a trudge!
 auld al 29 Jul 2012
In reply to BenTiffin: i done that once when the cablecar was down and really enjoyed it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...