UKC

Ridge nr Penmaenmawr (after Twnnelau Penmaenbach tunnel) A55?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Mountains 01 Aug 2012
As you travel down the A55 towards Anglesey, before Penmaenmawr there is a ridge on the left of the A55 (just as you come out of Twnnelau Penmaenbach tunnel.) Does anyone know if it has a name & a grade? Just looke like it might be fun.
 stonemaster 01 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Ah, the old E22. Possibly disused quarry? Good luck.
 jezb1 01 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: It's a grade 2 scramble I think? Have you checked the logbooks as I thought it was on there.
Not done it but always thought I should just cos I've passed it so many times.
 Ally Smith 01 Aug 2012
In reply to jezb1:

Yep, it's a great scramble. Quite a rare beast with the sea behind you.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9959
In reply to Andy Mountains:

Thank you UKC
 Dan Lane 01 Aug 2012

I think nearly everyone that has driven past that goes, "Ooooh, we should come back and have a look at that one day!" I know i have, never done it though.
 Styx 01 Aug 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
> (In reply to Andy Mountains)
>
> I think nearly everyone that has driven past that goes, "Ooooh, we should come back and have a look at that one day!" I know i have, never done it though.

Yep! I'm even more inclined to do so now, hmm.
 Bulls Crack 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Dan Lane:
>
> I think nearly everyone that has driven past that goes, "Ooooh, we should come back and have a look at that one day!" I know i have, never done it though.

I've always thought that then thought 'but it will be too noisy'!
 rockcat 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains: Grade 2 I think and well worth doing.
 Wesley Orvis 03 Aug 2012

Grade 2 in the "scrambles in Snowdonia" cicerone guidebook.
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
>
> Grade 2 in the "scrambles in Snowdonia" cicerone guidebook.

Really?? Didn't know it was in there. Will have a butchers now. Ta

Wheelsy 03 Aug 2012

It gets a mention here -

http://www.ukscrambles.co.uk/routes/scrambles-in-wales/penmaen-bach/penmaen...

And somebody has some photos of it on Flickr, although for some reason they don't show up in their photostream, only when you search Flickr for Penmaen Bach -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milktrayguy/1763528924/
 colina 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy Mountains:yeah its definatly a scramble andy ,albeit not very long i think. clwyd cmc did it last year .
agreed it does look fun and easily accesible from the a55,
im driving up and down there with work most days and determined to stop off one day and scramble up it although it will probably take longer than my 30 minute lunch break.
 dgp 03 Aug 2012
In reply to colina: First did it some 40 yrs ago but scrambled up it last year for old time sake !. Yes you can do it in your lunch hour - you don't have to go all the way to the top - finish after the steep bit and wander off to the right back to the road. It's good fun and always surprised that I've never see anyone on it as I drive down the a55.
In reply to colina:

Give me a shout if you are free next week Col

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...