UKC

Which DVD Ripper?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John_Hat 01 Aug 2012
Hiya,

Having thought I'd lost a DVD yesterday which is totally irreplaceable due to being decades out of print, so to speak(1), I'm thinking of ripping my entire DVD collection - or at least the less easily replaceable bit of it - to somewhere where it can be backed up more easily.

Hence I'm in the market for a ripper. Now, characteristics it needs:

a) Needs to rip to a decently small format - say 500Mb/hour - with decent quality.

b) Needs to be reasonably fast - say an hour a DVD at a maximum.

I've got one at present that is fast (10 mins), but it rips to around 1.5-2 GB/hour, which is a little excessive.

Hence, reccomendations please . Free would be nice, but am prepared to shell out cash if necessary. Can use either a linux or a Windows box to do the work.

(1) Thankfully it turned up down the back of a bookcase after looking in all the sensible places didn't work.
OP John_Hat 01 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Sorry, 500 MB / hour, not Megabit. (Mb).
OP John_Hat 02 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

bump..
 alooker 02 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat: handbrake? http://handbrake.fr
needvert 02 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

mencoder is fantastic, and extremely powerful.

Though with great power comes...The need to read the instructions.
 alooker 02 Aug 2012
In reply to alooker: (handbrake is open-source too)
 steev 02 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

Handbrake for me too. Available on any platform you like and very usable indeed.
 benghull 02 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
Not quite sure if its what your after but i use makemkv you can strip out all the menus/subs/foreign languages to get a smaller file size, pretty quick takes about10-15mins to read and rip a DVD, 20-30min for a blu-ray so if all you want is the main feature can't fault it.
 Dave McG 03 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:
:
>
> a) Needs to rip to a decently small format - say 500Mb/hour - with decent quality.
>
> b) Needs to be reasonably fast - say an hour a DVD at a maximum.
>

How good is your pc John? To reencode to a small filesize with good quality (as good as the original dvd) quickly you'll need a pc with a decent processor in it.
 Dominion 03 Aug 2012
In reply to John_Hat:

dvd::rip in linux is reasonably fast if you have a multi-core cpu, as you can set the multiple cores to run as a cluster, and that makes a huge difference

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...