UKC

Appropriate attire for jury service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Schwarz 07 Aug 2012
I have Jury duty starting on monday, what is the expected standard of dress? what am to expect in my 2 weeks?
matt
 london_huddy 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz:

I started off my stint in a suit and eneded up with smart trousers, jacket and tie. I'm old fashioned though but it's a formal environment and I live in a suit anyway.
 owlart 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: I wore my suit. Expect lots of sitting around wasting time, ot of the two weeks I served, I had one trial which lasted a day and a half, the rest was spent sitting around twiddling thumbs.
 Dax H 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: Torn and stained jeans, string vest, stick on Nazi tattoos, your service should only last about 5 mins before they kick you out.
 lost1977 07 Aug 2012

case i was on lasted 2 weeks started in suit and ended up in smartish shirt and trousers (no tie)
 Trangia 07 Aug 2012

I wore a suit on Day 1, thereafter smart open neck shirt with smart trousers. I was on just one case which lasted 2 weeks. As others have said expect a lot of hanging around everytime there is a challenge on a legal point and the jury gets sent out.

It's well worth taking notes whilst you are listening to the evidence, because you aren't going to remember it all when the jury finally gets sent out to deliberate. It's fairly easy to come to a conclusion as to whether a witness of fact is biased or not telling the "whole truth", it's much more difficult to decide between expert witnesses who have conflicting opinions.

Good luck and enjoy the experience - I did.

I hope the coffee and sandwiches they serve up to jurers have improved!
 owlart 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> I hope the coffee and sandwiches they serve up to jurers have improved!

When I did it there was a vending machine for you to buy your own coffee and you had to take your own sandwiches with you! We didn't get so much as a biscuit out of it.
 gingerdave13 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: hah! i too have jury service monday..

it seems to have creeped up rapidly and will probably pass in tedium.
 Trangia 07 Aug 2012
In reply to owlart:

Oh, in that case maybe I should think myself lucky!
 Trangia 07 Aug 2012
In reply:

Come to think of it, you are right, there were no vending machines and they tried to present us with a bill for coffee at the end to be deducted from our expenses claim. As the case we had been on was a Trades Description Act misrepresentation there were a few loud remarks about the so called "coffee"

The only time we got free "coffee" and sandwiches was when we were sent out to deliberate and it when on through lunch time.
 stonemaster 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: Kaftan and turban? or any neat and cleanish clothes. One suspects that paint spattered coveralls may not go down well. Good luck. Hope your cases are not too complex.
 stonemaster 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Trangia: Coffe and sandwiches? Had to bring me own thermos and sarnies and biccies together with guide books and OS maps for route planning during the waiting around. There was a dispensr, mind.
In reply to Dax H:

Best T shirt to get you out of jury service:

http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+justice_white_tshirt,565195646

M0nkey 07 Aug 2012

I think you should wear a suit. I know jurors turn up in all sorts nowadays but I don't agree with that. It is a formal setting, and if you get picked for a big case, you could hold significant responsibility over someone's future. Out of respect for the victim, defendant, and the occasion, I think you should wear a suit.

You asked however for the "expected standard" of dress. In my experience it ranges from track suits to lounge suits. I have yet to see someone in PJs.
 ericoides 07 Aug 2012
In reply to M0nkey:

Quite, it's not casual Friday.
youtube.com/watch?v=3xAhamngivU&
Removed User 07 Aug 2012

Given that it's not you that's on trial I see no particular reason why you have to pander to anyone else's predjudices.
Tim Chappell 07 Aug 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

I'm innocent, OK? The police planted the knife. And the dope. And the pipe-bomb. And the bloodstains.

Look, just get me off, OK, or my dealers' posse will pipe-bomb *your* house next, you follow me?
Removed User 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: don't think it much matters so long as it's respectable. As others have said, take a book for the hanging around and during the case take notes-you wont remember otherwise.
 upordown 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Yes, take lots of notes - when it comes to deliberating you might find you want to know *exactly* what someone said, or in exactly what order things were supposed to have happened. When I did it, no-one wore a suit and dress ranged from smart casual to punky leather and chains. Might depend where you're doing it, of course.
OP Matt Schwarz 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: thanks for all the replies. Suit sounds the way to go for first day at least.
so, things to bring with:
Lunch
drinks
note pad and pens
reading material

matt
Tim Chappell 07 Aug 2012

i-pod. Sit there plugged in to Robbie Williams' greatest hits. See if the judge notices.
 elsewhere 07 Aug 2012
> (In reply to Matt Schwarz) thanks for all the replies. Suit sounds the way to go for first day at least.
> so, things to bring with:
> Lunch
> drinks
> note pad and pens
> reading material
>
> matt

and even MORE reading material - you may be very bored!
 gethin_allen 07 Aug 2012
In reply to M0nkey:
"jurors turn up in all sorts nowadays but I don't agree with that"

What does it matter what someone is wearing, this whole thing about wearing a suit to get people to treat you like a human being really gets on my tits.

What someone is wearing has not bearing on their mental capacity. I wear jeans and a T-shirt to work, I'm a molecular biologist with almost a decade of higher education behind me.

To the OP, get a mankini.
 Olli-C 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: I wore jeans and a T-shirt, so did most of the others during my two weeks. Doesn't really matter, who are you trying to impress?
Tim Chappell 07 Aug 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:

A jurist in a mankini, listening to Robbie Williams on an ipod-- brilliant.

Can we give him Raybans to complete the look?
 Trangia 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Olli-C:
> (In reply to Matt Schwarz) Doesn't really matter, who are you trying to impress?

I don't think you are trying to impressany one. It may seem a bit old fashioned, but wearing a suit, at least on day 1, shows respect for the court, which is an arbitary concept, not any individual, representing justice for our society, that's all.
 Mooncat 07 Aug 2012

Sports casual, golf attire, wear a Gabbici sweater if you have one.
 Cobbler 07 Aug 2012

Casual - you're not there in any professional capcity so a suit is OTT. But then, not too casual. Expect to not be called too!
 nealepj 07 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

Yes yes...

Or a mask and snorkle - Spike style (welsh guy in Notting Hill)

plus flippers (or am I just being silly now)

Removed User 07 Aug 2012

having done two call ups I found that smart casual and comfortable tends to be the norm with a smattering of either side of that equation. You may get the two weeks with no case as well, a couple of people on my last stint didn't get a case in the two weeks.
 krikoman 08 Aug 2012
> (In reply to Matt Schwarz) thanks for all the replies. Suit sounds the way
> matt

What sort of matt? Prayer, yoga or paint?
 upordown 08 Aug 2012

You don't need to take notepaper and pens. They will be provided in the courtroom. You can't take anything into the courtroom and you can't take your notes out with you, until you go to deliberate. After you've reached a verdict the notes are shredded.

Fraser 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Dax H:
> (In reply to Matt Schwarz) Torn and stained jeans, string vest, stick on Nazi tattoos, your service should only last about 5 mins before they kick you out.

Fortunately, the juror selection process is in no way connected to appearance. Last time I did it, everyone was in smart or smart/casual clothing, veering more towards the casual by the end. (but never scruffy)

The New NickB 08 Aug 2012

I wore a suit, but as much because that is what I wear everyday for work and was planning on popping in to work if I had any early or late finishes. I was in a definate minority.
 timjones 08 Aug 2012
In reply to M0nkey:
> (In reply to Matt Schwarz)
>
> I think you should wear a suit. I know jurors turn up in all sorts nowadays but I don't agree with that. It is a formal setting, and if you get picked for a big case, you could hold significant responsibility over someone's future. Out of respect for the victim, defendant, and the occasion, I think you should wear a suit.
>

Anyone who is so easily swayed by someones dress shouldn;t be allowed to do jury service IMHO ;(
 Al Evans 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Matt Schwarz: I just dressed casual (as I would) but I enjoyed my jury service, I got two cases, both quite interesting. It's quite good because you can decide on the 'justice' of the prosecution, the first case was a man who was a 6ft plus rastafarian who did a couple of nights work in a pub to help feed his family and still claimed benefits, he asked for a jury trial rather than magistrates court, he was obviously guilty but we decided that for humanitarian reasons we would find him not guilty. Unless the prosecution appeals they have to go with the jury decision.
Actually I made money on it as the company didn't stop me anything for being on service yet I still got the jury service payment.
 owlart 08 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans: It probably should be pointed out that we were also warned that discussing what happened in the Jury Room is classed as Contempt of Court and can be prosecuted quite heavily!
M0nkey 08 Aug 2012
In reply to gethin_allen:
> (In reply to M0nkey)
> "jurors turn up in all sorts nowadays but I don't agree with that"
>
> What does it matter what someone is wearing, this whole thing about wearing a suit to get people to treat you like a human being really gets on my tits.
>
> What someone is wearing has not bearing on their mental capacity. I wear jeans and a T-shirt to work, I'm a molecular biologist with almost a decade of higher education behind me.

I don't think I said or implied in my post that wearing a suit:

a) gets people to treat you like a human being
b) has any bearing on their mental capacity

My point was in relation to the formality of the occasion. The trial is a very important day for any victim and the defendant. Out of respect for that I don't think people should dress casually. It's a bit like wearing a suit to a funeral - you do it out of respect for the deceased, and out of respect for the solemnity of the occasion.

Your analogy about your job isn't quite the same thing. I doubt the molecules have any strong feelings about whether you wear a tie or not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...