UKC

camping stanage edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richard.hyde 08 Aug 2012
hey all. me and a friend are going climbing in stanage next week. (a last min plan) were are good campsites and are there any good places to bive it or anywhere we can just put the text up with out getting shoot by a farmer or moved on
thank you all
 gd303uk 08 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde: North lees campsite is very close and good.
 payney1973 08 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde: another vote for north Lees, its about 15min walk to the base of the crag, okay unless you're bringing a 30 person tent.

with ref to wild camping the rangers do drive round at time late and early morn and they will move you on if you're found, the camp site is nice and cheap and has all the amenities you will need and its a 20-25 min walk to Hathersage across the fields.

or if you guys have wheels and dont mind a short drive you have Hardhurst farm near Hope and Castleton, just behind the travellers rest pub, again quite cheap lots of space, trees to chuck up slacklines etc.
 Margaret 08 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde: I've stayed at North Lees and it is very convenient and has all the usual facilities. I think that the showers are in with the price. It can be a bit midgey in the evening so if you have a midge hood take it. No hesitation to recommend.
http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/getactive/camping/camping-northlees
 Carol B 09 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde:

Ditto all the above good comments on North Lees Campsite. I was there a few weeks ago and due to the wet weather, like alot of places, the midges are very bad. You will need Deet and a midgy head net thingy. I bought one for £2.00 and it's the best £2.00 I've ever spent!
 Jonny2vests 10 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde:

Don't wild camp at Stanage or anywhere on the North Lees estate, the warden is a Jedi master and will chop you in two.

If you want to wild camp, then you're better off at the Millstone / Lawrencefield end, but don't make a mess.
 alooker 10 Aug 2012
In reply to richard.hyde: North Lees is best for Stanage probably, if you have to bivi there are the caves but they're shamefully always full of rubbish - both food/drink and human... No wonder the warden is so hot on people wild camping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...