UKC

Cycle Helmets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 09 Aug 2012
Not really a question so much as a rant :-P

I had a bad accident on my bike and I've only just (4 months on) started to tentatively think about getting back in to cycling. When I fell off I broke my helmet (a cheap old Specialized 'Air Force'), so I needed to buy a new helmet.

When I looked online I found lists of helmets, by prce, by weight, by aerodynamic drag co-efficient. The only thing I couldn't find was the strength. Are all helmet broadly the same or are some helmets better than others? I've already bought a helmet now but it'd be interesting to know. In the end I choose my helmet because the man in the shop said it was a really good company that made it, and it had an internal support structure in the foam or something so it was stronger. Also it was on 50% sale

The only helmet that I saw online that 'looked' safe was called the 'air attack' but it wasn't out yet. It was more of like a solid type.
 Neil Williams 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

There is a minimum standard that allows them to be marked with the CE logo. There may be some that are stronger, but I doubt it would be much different unless you get into different types of helmets.

Neil
In reply to Neil Williams:

Fair enough
 EddInaBox 09 Aug 2012

Which? tested cycle helmets this month (August 2012, last tested July 2005) your local library may well get Which? if you wanted to have a look at the report. They found one of the helmets they tested, the Met Camaleonte, failed the European Standard.
 steve taylor 09 Aug 2012
In reply to EddInaBox:

Two Specialized helmets came top in those WHICH? tests...
 nickprior 09 Aug 2012

> The only helmet that I saw online that 'looked' safe ...

Depends what you mean by "safe". Remember helmets only need to be tested with an impact equivalent to 12mph so even flimsy looking things can get through.

I chose to buy a Giro helmet because a) Giro have a discounted replacement scheme in case of helmet destruction (which I've taken them up on) and b) Although it looked flimsy it had the best ventilation potential which keeps me cool for the 99.95% of the time when I'm not headbutting the road.

Its worth being clear with yourself what risks you are seeking to mitigate, then selecting the equipment that gets closest.

In reply to telemark:

Well mine is made by Giro also, can't remember the name of it, but it's grey. Well Titanium I think they called it :-P

Curiously the plastic buckley thing at the back has some kind of weird film peeling off it :-P Looks like it have a very thing layer or varnish on it. I don't imagine it'll be a problem!
 David Hooper 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: i have a giro zenith. Bought it because of many best in test review. Plus if I'm honest it think it is of the of the coolest looking helmets.

A car ran over it in the parking area (little scroat still hasn't paid).

Anyway I had no choice but to wear it for that ride,and yes I did have an over the handlebar related incident. The helmet performed sterling although I chipped and badly cut an elbow.

This incident has given me total confidence. In the ability of giro equipment.

I also took advantage of their new for old policy same as poster above.

Since getting a roadbiking there was one one choice.The Giro lightweight number in the LIVESTRONG colours.

Good luck and you won't go wrong with giro

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...