UKC

How much does a brick weigh?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steve John B 09 Aug 2012
Mr Google gives anything from 4lb to 4kg.

Anyone know how much a standard brick weighs? Wondering how many I can stick in the car without killing the suspension. Thanks!
 winhill 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Steve John B:

Is it Moroccan or Lebanese?
 Frank4short 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Steve John B: Just to clarify by brick I take it you mean, red semi solid, apx 200mm x 100mm x 55mm?
 Frank4short 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Frank4short: According to wikipedia traditional UK bricks are 215mm x 102.5mm x 65mm and traditional solid clay bricks have a density of approximately 2000kg/m3. Which would mean a solid clay brick is approximately 2.8kgs.

A Google I've just done says: 2 to 3 kg - typically about 2.7 kg (6lbs)
 jon 09 Aug 2012

With or without frogs?
 Enty 09 Aug 2012

Accy Nori bricks, the hardest in the world, slightly heavier than 2.8kg

E
 The Lemming 09 Aug 2012
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Steve John B)
>
> With or without frogs?

We have frogs too?

jon 09 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes. A frog definitely reduces the weight.
 The Lemming 09 Aug 2012
In reply to jon:

Strong little creatures. I take it that they can hop about to reduce the stresses on the car's suspension?

But what happens when they land?
 TiredJazmyn 09 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

It's obvious that you have 2 frogs per brick. Top frog with brick comes to land and the bottom frog jumps simultaneously to meet half way. There for brick frog doesn't need to touch the car.
OP Steve John B 09 Aug 2012
In reply to you lot:

The frogs have eaten all the red leb and gone awol.

2.8kg x 50 x (2.2/14) = 22 stone (or one fat git). Easy peasy.

Thanks all.
Wonko The Sane 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Steve John B: Problem is, there is no standard brick.

Brick, common red 1922g
Brick, fire clay 2403g
Class B engineering 3300g
Concrete commons 2.95 – 3.15 kg
 Enty 09 Aug 2012

My first house as a boy was built from Accrington Nori bricks. Bloody hilarious watching my dad trying to put a shelf up.

Also very interesting where the term Nori came from.

E
 gingerdave13 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Steve John B: it's about a kilo innit?

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/coke/ig/cocaine/cocaine05.htm

[looks furtively] you doing a run over the border?
 colina 09 Aug 2012
I guess the easiest way would be to keep filling the boot till the chassis just rests on the tyres then take one brick out .there is also an Ebook available from amazon titled "how to f**k your car up by putting bricks in the boot" written by a mr john brick .
hope this helps.
 The Lemming 09 Aug 2012
In reply to jon:

That's a crap stick drawing of a frog. Where's its legs?
OP Steve John B 09 Aug 2012
In reply to colina:
> I guess the easiest way would be to keep filling the boot till the chassis just rests on the tyres then take one brick out .there is also an Ebook available from amazon titled "how to f**k your car up by putting bricks in the boot" written by a mr john brick .
> hope this helps.

Sod that, they're going on the roof in a badly wrapped tarpaulin with some pound shop bungees to hold them in place. Looking forward to some high-speed cornering manoeuvres...
 gingerdave13 09 Aug 2012
In reply to colina: the same can apply to bags of gravel,

once bottomed the car out when loading up in the garden centre - so moved a few to the front passenger footwell and drove home. Very slowly!
 gethin_allen 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:
>
> My first house as a boy was built from Accrington Nori bricks. Bloody hilarious watching my dad trying to put a shelf up.

I lived in a place in Sheffield that had big lumps of slag in otherwise soft bricks. If you tried to drill into them the bit would hit the slag lumps then skirt sideways leaving a messy off-shape hole.

Chris.Allott 09 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:

Bit off Piste..but...you should have seen the grimaces when we first tried to put bolt-on hold shields into the Macc Leisure centre climbing wall.(1991)..Don't know what they were made from but sparks flew everywhere.. the best we ever managed was 2-3 pilot holes at 5mm per bit and 5-8 holes taken out to 10mm. I think we nearly bankrupt the local tool hire company that sponsored us for the intallation equipment!
Macclesfield...hard as nails!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...