UKC

small mercury spill found on campervan bed - any advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan bulman 14 Aug 2012
so,
my brother has spent his life savings on a motorhome. he gets it home and finds a small amount of mercury rolling about on the childs bed area above the cab. the surface is very short haired carpet. he thinks it has come from an energy saving bulb above the bed which looks like it has been broken and replaced with another type of bulb.

anyway he has gathered up as much as he can see in a jamjar. the amount is about the size of a ball bearing.

eldis have confirmed that mercury was used in those type of vans at the time they were made.

any experts around who can say if it is safe to use or what to do next?

thanks,
dan.
 MJ 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

Put some Quicksilver stickers in the windows and it should be OK.
 toad 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman: We had a mercury spill in the office (some idiot dropped a thermometer ) and the lab people scattered lots of sulphur around - not sure of the chemistry
 blondel 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

We used to have a lot of fun in the chemistry lab at school rolling balls of mercury around, before elf and safety took over the world, and I'm still alive many years later. It's probably not too much of a problem if you're sensible about it. http://www.mercurysafety.com/health-and-safety
 subalpine 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman: more likely a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_switch ?

happy trails
 pdone 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman:
If you can find some powdered Sulphur just sprinkle some over the area in question, leave it a few hours and then sweep it up.
Removed User 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman:

we used a kit to clean up any spills, major thing we were told was not too breathe it in as the fumes are more toxic than having it on your skin.
escudoturbo 14 Aug 2012
In reply to dan bulman: If the mercury touches the (presumabley) aluminium skin of his. Amper it will leave a nice big hole so tell him to be carefull of that too.
 Hairy Pete 14 Aug 2012
In reply to blondel:
> (In reply to dan bulman)
>
> We used to have a lot of fun in the chemistry lab at school rolling balls of mercury around, before elf and safety took over the world, and I'm still alive many years later.

Yep. It was part of our chemistry lesson to reduce mercury oxide with a charcoal block and a blow-pipe, and I'm alright, it's everybody else that's mad, maaad MAD

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...