UKC

what boot for Kili?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 15 Aug 2012
Obviously depending on fit but what have people gone for in the past?
 The Lemming 16 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

The same foot ware that you would use on Winrights and Munros. Nothing too fancy is needed.
 JayPee630 16 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Depends what route you're doing, what time of year. Trainers on some, up to B£ winter boots on others.
 gear boy 16 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: assume you are going september time

standard"3 season" type boot, can be modern fabric option with waterproof liner, or go for a leather option that doesnt have a waterproof liner, this type is generally preferable for muti day trek as goretex and the like get overloaded with sweat

options in leather non lined are more limited, 2 to look at, but there are more

Meindl borneo
Hanwag lima non gore (was called Peru)

Ultimately the best answer is what fits your foot and is suitable for a multiday walk
jolivague 16 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I went up it in my Meindls - Softline Ultras, seemed perfectly well suited to all the conditions we had, including a nice scramble up the lava tower.
 THE.WALRUS 16 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I wore Scarpa Charmoz - ridgind sole is good on the loose scree.

A lot of people get very cold feet on the trek to the summit...it's a good idea to upgrade your socks.
In reply to An Triubhas: Trail running shoes most of the way (but I wasn't running... at least not on the way up!), then B2 walking boots + warm socks for summit day, with microspikes for traction on the glacier. It was a lot colder than I was expecting early on summit day, and my hands + feet were pretty numb for the first couple of hours

I wish I'd carried my trail shoes on the summit day so I could have changed back into them for the bulk of the descent. We came down pretty quick, and my feet were very hot & uncomfortable in the big boots + warm socks once we'd lost some altitude.
OP AdCo82 21 Aug 2012
In reply to THE.WALRUS:

Would Scarpa Manta be overkill?
 Mountain Llama 22 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: If you've already got mantas then following Nicks advice sounds a good.
 Carolyn 22 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

I used the old version of Mantas (I think - can't imagine what else I would have worn) which were a bit less stiff, but absolutely fine. If you already have Mantas, I wouldn't bother buying anything new, although as someone suggested, you could also take a pair of trainers for the lower slopes.

Boots were good for us on summit day - we'd gone up through the Western Breach, so the path down was basically a massive scree run where boots were a reasonable plan (can't remember which route that is off the top of my head)
 THE.WALRUS 22 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Scapa Mantas would be a good choice of boot for summit day - boots with a more rigid sole work better on scree compared to flexible ones, and Mantas are fairly well insulated. As Nick says, a lot of people really underestimate how cold the summit climb can be and suffer from very cold feet - take a pair of thick outer socks and liners, and keep 'em fresh for summit day.

Trainers or approach shoes would be fine for walking lower down the mountain, although there are some boggy patches on the Rongai and Lemosho routes.

I.d recommend mittens, too.
 mcdougal 22 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Whichever boot you choose, you should definitely buy two of them.
 stonemaster 22 Aug 2012
In reply to mcdougal: Preferably one for each foot....
m0unt41n 23 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: I found Scarpa SLs ideal. Summit day is totally different to the rest of the days which are really just easy shortish trekking days. Whereas summit day you start midnight, its cold and gets colder until sunrise. Do need good socks on summit day, icebreaker or Smartwool Mountaineering. Mitts with single use Hand warmers, two per hand. Lots of layers or medium down jacket. Problem is that it is a long slow trudge (so many people in a line and difficult to over take) so you are not really getting to warm yourself up that you would on a mountaineering trip. Very dusty as its a volcano so best to keep each change of clothes in freezer bags since everything in kit bags get covered in dust. I didnt need spider crampons but worth taking as weigh little.
Rolfe Oostra - 360 Expeditions 29 Aug 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
just returned from kilimanjaro (my 48th ascent). Have been wearing trainers lately but wish i hadn't for last job as the temperature went as low as -26 C! I would recommend Berghaus EHS tasers. Their light ,offer good ankle support (lots of varied terrain) and they are warm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...