UKC

Fitting a towbar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 15 Aug 2012
I'm looking into fitting a towbar to my car, has anyone done this themselves, and was it easy/successful?

Ideally I would like a removable one, but these seem to be massively more expensive - anyone know a good place to get one cheap (that is still decent?)

I'll be using it for a bike rack, so will need electrical gubins as well for the light board
 stewieatb 15 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin:

If you don't intend to tow a trailer (IE you're only using it for the bike rack) isn't there a better way of mounting a bike rack?
 woolsack 15 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Try Towsure www.towsure.com.
OP balmybaldwin 16 Aug 2012
In reply to stewieatb:

Maybe, but I have a carbon roadie, and don't want to clamp it as you would for a roof rack mount
JPSC 16 Aug 2012

I think I have installed five Towsure and Witter fixed towbars in total. It isn't difficult but it does vary quite a bit between cars and is a fiddly job, especially making the electrical connections. I have not installed a removable bar, so cannot comment on that job.

Whether you can get a cheaper bar depends on the car, but look at

http://www.discount-towing.co.uk/

http://www.towsure.com/

as a start.
carlo 16 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: May be worth checking out MaxRaxx (not 100% sure of spelling) for a perfecr tow bar mounted system for carbon frames. I have one and my frame and all other family bikes held very safely with no damage @ all to car body.
 gingerdave13 16 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: I had fitted a towbar on previous motor (pug 206) it was ok, if fiddly for the elctronics and kinda needed 2 people, if only just for the moment when you need to lift the dammed thing up and bolt it to either side of the sub frame. The tow bar mounted rack was good – but just get one with straps for the bikes as otherwise it can produce a bit of rubbing (not what you want on a carbon bike!).

Mate had his carbon road bike mounted on the roof, with one of those clamps on the down tube, thule kit I think. No issues reported there. Although he’s not got the bike anymore, after he ripped off the derailer hanger and it wasn’t fixable – oops!

Need to get a towbar mounted on the current car, but still have the bike rack. So far it hasn’t been required, as can just chuck them in the boot/lay seats down. Might be forced into getting one shortly tho..

Mine was a witter kit.
 winhill 16 Aug 2012

The fit will depend on the car, if you get a removable one it will be a swan neck which reduces your choice of rack some what, although they are more common now.

I used to take mine off after every use but it's a greasy nasty affair so leave it on permanently now. You soon get used to not smacking your shins on it every time you go to the boot.

Also it protects your bumpers from car park damage, if I reverse into someone now, I know I can just drive off with no need to inspect the damage as it will be the towbar that contacts first.
 errrrm? 16 Aug 2012

I got my bits from towsure.

The mechanical stuff was easy because the holes were in the chassis with some tape over them, so no drilling.

I have a 2004 Altea with modern multiplex electronics so I bought a tronic unit (controls the lights). Despite the local dealership advising me that I'd damage the electronics and that I should pay them £850 pounds to do the job, I went ahead and spent £250, that was in 2007. I've had no problems with it thus far.
My background is mechanical, I'm an aircraft maintenance tech.
I think the main worry is the electronics, you need some form of isolation due to the way the modern electronics in cars work.
Good luck.
 Blinder 16 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: I recal somebody talling me in the UK that legaly you where not allow to fit a tow bar yourself.

I have 3 roof mounted racks strap around wheel and in the front QR. Works well. Haves tested up to 100 mph on the mortorway and across alpine passes.

(http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bike_accessories/elite/car-bike-carriers/eli...

OP balmybaldwin 16 Aug 2012

Part of the reason for going this route is that I already have a towbar carrier (well inherited it from my dad), it's one of these: http://www.thuleonline.co.uk/product/1427-57/Thule-9502-RideOn-Towbar-Mount...

but a 3 bike version, I can't tell whether it will work on a swan neck or not form the thule site - it basically clamps onto the ball bit of the towbar.
 iksander 16 Aug 2012
In reply to balmybaldwin: Fitted a witter towbar on to my 02 Galaxy for the same reason. I'm not particularly handy and it was OK as a one person job for my car. Maybe worth borrowing a torque wrench for piece of mind, and wear some safety specs cos you're working upsidedown and it's dirty under there. Electrics were straightforward in my case, but could be trickier on a modern car.
 winhill 16 Aug 2012
> (In reply to balmybaldwin)
>
> but a 3 bike version, I can't tell whether it will work on a swan neck or not form the thule site - it basically clamps onto the ball bit of the towbar.

It could be a 9503, this picture shows it mounted to a swan neck:

http://www.roofracks.co.uk/images/smallbanner/9503.jpg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...