UKC

Old man of stor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mattgc2 17 Aug 2012
Is it allowed to climb the old man of stor? just been told its too dangerous now?
 AlH 17 Aug 2012
Old Man of Stoer (the seas stack) or the Old Man of Storr (on Skye)? Either way 'allowed' by who?
mattgc2 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: Sry I was not clear. The sea stacks. A friend recently informed me that there was signs up saying climbing was prohibited , was just wondering if there was any truth in it.
 kwoods 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: I think Scotland's free access laws would have something to say about that?
mattgc2 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: Yeah I'm assuming the guy was mistaken , just thought I'd see if you guys knew anything .
 Michael Gordon 17 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2:

No, there's nothing like that at Stoer.

The Storr pinnacle (Skye) on the other hand has a 'dangerous cliffs'-type sign on the appraoch to it - in terms of rock climbing I think few would disagree!
 BigLob 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Michael Gordon:
A few years back a friend and myself went to 'have a look' at the pinnacle to see if it would go. A few feet up he pulled a large block off which hit his shoulder and narrowly missed me on the way down. The noise echoing around the place was scary. Needelss to say we ran away.
 Trangia 19 Aug 2012

Storr looks very difficult to start and is overhanging all round the base.

In the 1960's I climbed the pinnacle next to it.
 henwardian 19 Aug 2012
In reply to mattgc2: Don't listen to these guys, they evidently have not been there recently. The place is very dangerous now, I was there last week and a storm has washed away most of the rock supporting the stack. The council were there attaching emergency steel cables to hold it up while they do a more permanent number on the base.
I don't think they would want you climbing on it in such a condition. Guess it would be a few weeks at the minimum to properly shore it up.
Personally I'd just let it fall over but the tourist industry probably see it as a symbol they have to try and save.
Yrmenlaf 19 Aug 2012

There's a quote by ???Patey??? about the Storr on Skye. Something like "We'd been told that the rock was like porridge, which is, of course, a feast fit for a king. This was not"

Y.
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

It was an incredible on-sight first ascent by Whillans, wasn't it?
 Al Evans 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: It was Whillans, we tried the second ascent several years later but the base was very overhanging and loose, probably best considered a boulder problem start, after 15ft it looked straightforward.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...