UKC

Tesco Trolley Powerslides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 muppetfilter 17 Aug 2012
There I was minding my own business in the biscuit aisle and much to my suprise a well dressed man in his fourties wearing a shirt and tie comes hoofing into the top of the aisle sideways sliding his feet and with the back wheels way out.

Do any other UKCer's enjoy the odd bit of Trolley Rallying as well ?
 ollieollie 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: its about the only fun i get when shopping
 Yanis Nayu 17 Aug 2012
In reply to ollieollie: Letching?
Wonko The Sane 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: Absolutely! And NEVER trust anyone who doesn't.

Also, I like to do spins. Push the trolley forward then spin it and catch the handle again. For some reason it amuses me. I pretend it's an Apollo CSM turning to do a TLI burn
richyfenn 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Wonko The Sane:

That's exactly what I do

I also like to get some speed up and ride the trolley down the aisles. But whatever you do make sure the trolley handle is not behind the back wheels otherwise you may up on your face with the other half laughing at you. A mistake only made once, now I make sure there's enough shopping to keep the front down.
 buzby 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: when married i was banned by the wife from going shopping with her due to this habit and also filling the said trolly with junk food.
when my grandson was only a nipper he loved being sat in the ones with the fold out seat and rallied round the isles at high speed with my best car tyre screeching impression.this was also viewed with little humour by the missus.
 ollieollie 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:
submit: not with the pigs where i live
wonko: forgot about the spins!!

i find earphones essential when shopping, combined with tunnel vision
 ollieollie 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: oh and of course its slightly amusing to pop the occasional item in other peoples trollys
 Enty 17 Aug 2012

I used to do it all the time until I went right into the back of Mrs Ent's ankles with a fully loaded trolley in Tesco. Not good.

E
 ollieollie 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to muppetfilter)
>
> I used to do it all the time until I went right into the back of Mrs Ent's ankles with a fully loaded trolley in Tesco. Not good.
>
> E

i shop alone, wont take the mrs,takes agea and she fills the trolley with crap
 The Lemming 17 Aug 2012

Own up, who surfs the isles with their feet off the ground, when they think nobody is watching?

I don't even care if people are watching.

The Lemming 17 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:
>
> I used to do it all the time until I went right into the back of Mrs Ent's ankles with a fully loaded trolley in Tesco. Not good.
>
> E

Was the trolly ok?
 TheTwig 17 Aug 2012
I recently observed a very well-dressed elderly lady (70+) indulging in this through the car park of Waitrose in Cheltenham. She was grinning like a w***ing Jap, and put a cockle in the heart of both myself and my 11 yo daughter.
 Enty 17 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Enty)
> [...]
>
>
>
> Was the trolly ok?

There were tears and they were'nt the trolly's.

E

colina 17 Aug 2012
my favourite sport in tesco is walking quickly down the aisle and doing a 360 with the trolley without breaking pace.like someone else mentioned ,this also gives me a warm glow inside when it comes off
have been trying to do a double 360 with twist and half pike but still not hit it yet.will persevere with this till i get kicked out.
not reccomended with lidl trolleys as there's always a wonky wheel
 The Lemming 17 Aug 2012
In reply to colina:

Because of trolly design it is impossible to do a double 360. At some point beyond the 360 where the trolly does one and smashes into the isles.
 ollieollie 17 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: would they allow us too bring our own turbo trolleys, i can see triple spins
 stonemaster 17 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Own up, who surfs the isles with their feet off the ground, when they think nobody is watching?
>
>Heheheh

Bimble 18 Aug 2012

The 'shopping basket around-arm spin' is also a favourite when your shopping is insufficient to demand a trolley. Just whiz it around your forearm with both handles, making sure you get enough speed on it so everything stays in.
 MJ 18 Aug 2012

Tank Commander is a good variation on this, but requires the assistance of a small child to act as gunner.
You, the Tank Commander, have a shopping list and the whole idea is to complete the shopping as quickly as you can. The gunners job is to grab the items off the shelves and put them in the trolley, this invariably involves much "balls out, sideways action".
 Wee Davie 18 Aug 2012

Maximum Attack, Colin McRae (RIP) style from fruit & veg through to the booze isles for me. It's very realistic as there may be unexpected crowds on the road at each hairpin. I'm having a good season right now, top of the leader board although I've still got the tricky Monte Carlo to go.
Grim 18 Aug 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Feet up surfing can be refined with wee dabs on the wheels to turn (sharply). Works well at speed.

Also nifty to hang behind handle with feet on both wheels to pop the nose up. The worse that can happen is sitting on your arse in the isle under a pile of tracker bars, bananas and other such climbers comestibles.

Why do supermarkets not stack up huge towers of cans like you see in the movies? Trolley skittles olympics...
Grim 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Wee Davie:

Monte Carlo nuffin... Try Spar locals for narrow isles and tight turns with crappy cardboard Tilda readyrice point of sale displays to navigate.
 tehmarks 18 Aug 2012

And here was me thinking I was odd for having never grown out of this
In reply to tehmarks:

Ditto!
 TiredJazmyn 19 Aug 2012

You gotta love supermarket trolleys for these exact reasons lol. I never get bored sprinting down the aisle then planting my feet on the knobly bit above the wheels. even do it in the car park. the 360 spin is fun, sharp turns great but I love getting the trolley on its rear wheels then taking backwards steps on the wheels to try get as far back as possible while using nothing but balance and skill.

Endless fun in supermarkets.
 colina 19 Aug 2012
In reply to TryfAndy:
>
> The 'shopping basket around-arm spin' is also a favourite when your shopping is insufficient to demand a trolley. Just whiz it around your forearm with both handles, making sure you get enough speed on it so everything stays in.
like it 8-)
 Rubbishy 19 Aug 2012

My bro and I used to do parallel shopping. He would be in the next aisle to me and chuck the selected goods over, for me to catch in the trolley in the adjoining aisle.

He's now a head master
 hokkyokusei 21 Aug 2012

> Also, I like to do spins. Push the trolley forward then spin it and catch the handle again. For some reason it amuses me. I pretend it's an Apollo CSM turning to do a TLI burn

Sorry to resurrect a thread from last week with a pedantic correction, but the Apollo CSM doesn't perform the TLI burn. It's still attached to the S-IVB at that point, and it's the S-IVB that performs the TLI burn. The CSM only does it's 180 degree spin to dock with the LM for extraction after TLI.
Wonko The Sane 21 Aug 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei: you are in fact correct. But I was more wrong than that even. The booster doesn't spin to do the tli burn. If it did it would drop back into the atmosphere. It accelerates in the same orientation it entered orbit. What can I say? I realised what I'd typed after the fact, waited for a while to be corrected and thought I'd got away with it!!!
 hokkyokusei 21 Aug 2012
> (In reply to hokkyokusei) you are in fact correct. But I was more wrong than that even. The booster doesn't spin to do the tli burn. If it did it would drop back into the atmosphere. It accelerates in the same orientation it entered orbit. What can I say? I realised what I'd typed after the fact, waited for a while to be corrected and thought I'd got away with it!!!

Lol. I remember thinking it sounded wrong when I first read it, but didn't remember to check it out until today. Sorry.
 Baron Weasel 21 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: It's just like climbing tree's - when you are ten you think 'I'll never stop doing this' - so far so good!

The Baron
cap'nChino 21 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: So you were the weirdo staring at me earlier!!!

Gotta get your slide on dude. No thrill greater than teetering on the edge of tipping a trolley and hitting the apex of corner from fruit and veg into cooked meats.
cap'nChino 21 Aug 2012
 Tom Last 21 Aug 2012
>
>
> Do any other UKCer's enjoy the odd bit of Trolley Rallying as well ?

Hell yeah!

Try this one. The trolley has to be fully loaded and you need a clear aisle. Take a firm grip on the handlebar, get some speed up and just flop down on your belly and let the momentum take you - God knows where.

Hopefully a kid will spot you as you're doing it and you'll feel a right legend, unless his mum spots you and you'll feel a total mentalist.

Either way, job's a good'un!
Wiley Coyote2 22 Aug 2012

Was there not a telly ad a couple of years ago that put all these trolley gymnastics down to something called "Inadequate car syndrome"?

Naturally I can see the trolley clear as day but can't for the life of me remember what car they were advertising.
 gingerdave13 22 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: absolutely.. but so far i've not seen many others in my neck of the woods doing this.
JMGLondon 22 Aug 2012
Always. I pretend I'm Cole Trickle from Days of Thunder and I get a lot of satisfaction from performing a 360 in an aisle without slamming into the baked beans. Important to keep your weight over the bar though, otherwise you can do yourself a mischief.
 John H Bull 22 Aug 2012
Oh how I miss the downhill run to the rental car area in the old Alicante airport.
 robal 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Enty:
>
>
> E

I did the exact same thing but to my dad, its the only time I have ever seen him cry....
 SFM 22 Aug 2012

I can go one better on the feet up surf....mantle onto the handrail and stand up mid trundle. Be prepared to leap off pronto though!
Perfected the art while working at Homebase as a student. Had a sneaky go again in the local Sainsburys carpark a few weeks back :O)
trollman 28 Aug 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: I was in tescos the other day with the wife, all of a sudden
she stopped in the middle of the isle and said to me, "your a right lazy cu@t" , well
i wasnt gona be spoken too like that so I climbed out the trolley and walked off
T
 Timmd 28 Aug 2012
In reply to bullybones:
> Oh how I miss the downhill run to the rental car area in the old Alicante airport.

The organisation I volunteer for has an old warehouse for thier toolstore, and it has a ramp which goes from one area to the other. Moving the dumped trollies they've collected when tidying up nature reserves and things is fun when going down the ramp.

Me and my friend (who works for them) had a nice time riding the trollies down the ramp near the end of the afternoon when I was the only one to turn up one Friday.

Timmd 28 Aug 2012
In reply to bullybones:
> Oh how I miss the downhill run to the rental car area in the old Alicante airport.

Pulling your fleece cuffs over your hands to slide down bannister rails on narrow stairs with is good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...