UKC

Highest sleep on UKC?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2012
Just out of interest, what's the highest anyone on here has slept? And how was it for you?

Me: Rifugio Marco e Rosa on Bernina, 3609m. And it was quite uncomfortable, as I wasn't that acclimatised. This may have been people smoking as much as the altitude, but I certainly woke in the night feeling smothered.
 CarolineMc 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: 4300m in the Andes a couple of weeks ago. Best night's sleep I'd had all trip (and it was -6°C). Co:
 d_b 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell:

About 3800m for me. A waste of time as it happened as the people I was with refused to do the route because it had been windy overnight and they hadn't slept well. Bless.
 mrchewy 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: I'm sure many have slept higher but for me 4200m - too high too quick really and my mind was a bit confused. Can't say I noticed the height when I was trying to sleep.
 d_b 18 Aug 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Should have said.

It was comfy enough, but I was well acclimitised.

Lobuje 'village' near Everest, 4930m. Didn't sleep at all, partly because of altitude, partly because I was keyed up (photo job ahead at dawn and we were leaving at 3.30am), and partly because of yaks all around the tents in the snow with their yak bells on.
 Padraig 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to Tim Chappell)
>
> Lobuje 'village' near Everest, 4930m.
Coincidentally, mine was Lobuje East base camp. Not sure what height but poss 5200m The peak itself is 6119m iirc.
 Dom Whillans 18 Aug 2012
33,000ft on the plane from Gatwick to Kai Tak. I wish they all could be Caledonian...
 koolkat 18 Aug 2012
5933m high camp on aconcagua 4 years ago slept great no problems well acclimatised i guess , this year struggled at 5100m on lenin but slept well at abc 4200m
 Escher 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: 6150m on Ama Dablam. Most disconcerting was the jet stream roaring directly overhead. It was incredibly loud!
 wilkie14c 18 Aug 2012
a mere 3260m at the Hornli hut. I wouldn't say I slept though, spent the night tasting various flavours of european farts
 Maggie 18 Aug 2012
> Just out of interest, what's the highest anyone on here has slept? And how was it for you?

Only about 3,100m for me - at Yedigöller in the Aladaglar, before an ascent of Demirkazik. It was -8 and had just snowed - I was wearing everything I had (it had been over 30 degrees in the valley the day before).

martinph78 18 Aug 2012
5600m on Nevado Chopicalqui.

How was it? COLD, VERY COLD!
 dasc 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: 4554mt, Capanna Regina Margherita, slept the sleep of the just,whether my partner did is debatable as altitude doesn't seem to decrease my snoring levels!!
 Mr. Lee 18 Aug 2012

5900m in a snow cave on Khan Tengri. Fine when you're acclimatized.
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Escher:

Escher's ahead so far. (Whillans is cheating.)
Clauso 18 Aug 2012

I once passed out and slept whilst under the influence of booze, coke, ecstasy, LSD and weed. I wouldn't fancy trying to get much higher.
 Al Evans 18 Aug 2012
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Clauso:

We have a winner!

Your prize, quite by chance, is a stuffed owl.
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Al Evans:

Wow. Comfy?
 Mr. Lee 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Mr. Lee:

Actually, how could I forget... Scatch 5900m. Slept at about 6300m, open bivi, no sleeping gear or stove on same mountain.
Tim Chappell 18 Aug 2012
In reply to Mr. Lee:

That does *not* sound comfy.
 JJL 18 Aug 2012

Camp berlin on Aconcagua or the high camp on Chopicalqui probably.

For me above 5000m it's "waited for dawn" rather than "slept"
 Fredt 18 Aug 2012

Last September 4200m, bloody freezing on the equator.
 Indy 18 Aug 2012

11,000 meters wrapped in blanket somewhere over the atlantic on Virgin Airways.

sorry!
 Al Evans 18 Aug 2012
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> Wow. Comfy?

Actually yes, at that height we slept on trickle oxygen or you just can't sleep, though the expedition didn't climb with it, I think the summit team might have taken it though.
Actually sleeping in a snow hole is really good, to get ice for a brew you just chop a bit of the wall or ceiling, consequently the hole gets bigger as the expedition goes on. You have to make runnels though to funnel away the condensation otherwise you get soaked.
 Topper Harley 18 Aug 2012

7930m on the South Col without oxygen. Pretty grim.
Carpe Diem 18 Aug 2012

5160M Gorak shep.

Cold and Smelly
 mypyrex 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Carpe Diem:
>
> 5160M Gorak shep.
>
> Cold and Smelly

Ditto - two nights. Poor sleep due to Cheyne Stokes.

deepstar 19 Aug 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> (In reply to Carpe Diem)
> [...]
>
> Poor sleep due to Cheyne Stokes.

Why,was he snoring?
 mypyrex 19 Aug 2012
In reply to deepstar:
> (In reply to mypyrex)
> [...]
>
> Why,was he snoring?

LoL, LoL ;0)

hokkyokusei 19 Aug 2012

5800m at Mera Peak high camp. Slept OK but was well acclimatised and we were up at 2am in any case.
 climbingxcat 20 Aug 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
Same for me, not good as husband was vomiting beside me in the tent before being taken down the mountain!
 hokkyokusei 20 Aug 2012
In reply to climbingxcat:

One of my tent companions asked if we could swap places with me. I very relieved we had when 30 secs later he was chucking up out of the doorway!
almost sane 20 Aug 2012
A wimpish 4600m or so at Tso Kar in Ladakh.

By this time I was well acclimatised so had no problems sleeping.
Still woke up to a nose full of bloody snot, though probably as much to do with the dryness of the air as the altitude.
almost sane 20 Aug 2012
Highest sleep recently was a result!

Flying economy from Houston to Heathrow, we are all packed in like sardines, and I was in the middle seat. On my first visit to the toilets I noticed the entire back row of seats was empty.
I had a wee word with one of the cabin crew and then I did the generous thing and gave the people on either side of me a bit more elbow room

Arm rests up, stretch out flat on the back seat, slept like a log back to Heathrow.
In reply to Tim Chappell: 6500. I am sure plenty of UKCers have slept 1000 to 1500 metres higher than that!
In reply to Tim Chappell: Toilets of the Midi station. 3842. no water, no food and nothing to sleep on. Grim, but warm when we worked out how to put the heater on!

Rhys Jones 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: It's not often that climbing Everest is useful, but for this thread... 7,980metres, Camp 4 on Everest South side (South Col).

How did I sleep? On the way up, I didn't sleep. After summiting (we didn't summit until 3pm as were breaking trail etc) I slept like baby for 12hours! Just occasional turning and repositioning oxygen mask which is a wholly unpleasant experience in itself.
 Joe G 20 Aug 2012

Might struggle to find folk who have slept higher than the South Col on Everest...
So may I highjack the thread with some good old schoolboy humour?
What's the highest poo you've done? And how was it for you?

Mine - somewhere between 5800 and 5900m, still below the snowline so I was able to bury it, but far too windy to contemplate burning the bogroll. Better oot than in, although using alcohol gel in such conditions could have beem dangerous if I hadn't got my mitts back on quickly!
 Shona Menzies 20 Aug 2012

> I certainly woke in the night feeling smothered.

Yeah i'll do it properly the next time.

I fell asleep after a party high up in one of the old Red Road flats many years ago,that was without bottled oxygen but with plenty of bottled breezers.
 mypyrex 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Joe G:
>

> So may I highjack the thread with some good old schoolboy humour?
> What's the highest poo you've done? And how was it for you?
>
Again - Gorak Shep. Mind you, by then, I'd had little appetite since leaving Thyangboche so there wasn't much to come out anyway 80P
 mypyrex 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Joe G:
>

Or the highest fart; or the highest shag?
 andork123 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: i had a hell of a lot of weed the other week...i swear i was higher than you all put together- no altitude sickness involved (y)
In reply to Tim Chappell: highest poo was at c5200m having an attack of montezuma's while bivvying (ok the poo wasn't actually in the bivvy - it was a close run thing though) windy and very far below zero, not the most fun I've ever had
 hokkyokusei 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Joe G:

>
> Mine - somewhere between 5800 and 5900m, still below the snowline so I was able to bury it, but far too windy to contemplate burning the bogroll. Better oot than in, although using alcohol gel in such conditions could have beem dangerous if I hadn't got my mitts back on quickly!

I "had a go" at 5800, but nothing produced, so for me it would be about 5350m.

Escher 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Joe G: Same as my highest sleep at 6150m, although I got out of the tent to dump. Technique was to find a flat rock, crap on that then chuck it down the south face. I expect the ledge that mine, and everyone else's, crap frisbees landed on would not be a good place to belay. Although I don't think that face is climbed much.
 DesperateDan 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Rhys Jones:

Hi Rhys,
Sorry but I'll have to raise your Col by 1000ft - 8300m was our high camp on the North side
But it was hardly a sleep - more of a lay down on a small, outward sloping, tent floor for a few hours!
We arrived at high camp at around 6pm and left for the summit around 11pm. We summitted at 11am, arrived back at 8300m at 7pm and continued down to our next camp, arriving at 7600m around 9pm (I think) where we both collapsed with absolute exhaustion and dehydration
Dan
James Jackson 28 Aug 2012

Round about 5600 on Imja Tse. Low compared to some here!
 Nigel R Lewis 28 Aug 2012
In reply to hokkyokusei:
>
> 5800m at Mera Peak high camp.

Snap for my highest sleep, though it wasn't the best nights rest I'd had. This was also my highest dump, which was tricky, trying to hold the "carry it out" bag in one hand and stop my sallopettes falling onto the floor with the other. Then came the juggling act of the paperwork!!

N
 Skip 28 Aug 2012

Around 5000m near Everest base camp (North face).
 Rhys Jones 29 Aug 2012
In reply to DesperateDan: Haha I was waiting for a North Sider to come along! On the plus side, at least summiting from 8,300m is only a half day eh? Your 12hrs up and 10hrs down sounds like a long one! Mine was a 16hrs up, 2.5hrs down (I heard there was a boil in the bag on the go so legged it down to the South Col). All good fun though!
 ChrisBrooke 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Tim Chappell: 5188m in the bivi on top of Nelion, Mt Kenya. The weather came in and we decided to tough it out in there with no bivi kit/sleeping bags rather than try to locate the 14 abseils in poor visibility. A very unpleasant 13hours or so of man-spooning with occasional breaks to take my boots off and try to rub some feeling back into my waxy toes. Memorable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...