UKC

Save the Olympic XC course petition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
geologist 19 Aug 2012
 David Hooper 19 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist: done
geologist 19 Aug 2012
In reply to David Hooper:

Cheers David

Theres only a small chance that the XC course will be left as it is, but its a chance
 The New NickB 19 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

Seems silly, surely they can have the best of both worlds, keep the rocky sections, but just add in some alternate sections that will keep novices away from the trickier bits.
 balmybaldwin 19 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

Done.
Dear Essex,

Now the Olympics are over, we'd quite like our 5,000 tonnes of gritstone back please.

Sincerely,

Derbyshire

(only kidding!)
 Voltemands 19 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist: Is there a petition to ensure its removal ? :-p
geologist 19 Aug 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

oops, didnt think of that, maybe the wrong site to post this on
 bluebealach 19 Aug 2012
In reply to The New NickB

Done and recorded my comments in line with NNB's
 silhouette 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist: Signed
 BruceW 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

Done and passed it on to friends...
Page 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist: Done
 Chris the Tall 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
> Dear Essex,
>
> Now the Olympics are over, we'd quite like our 5,000 tonnes of gritstone back please.
>
Did Derbyshire get 5000 tons of Silcone and Botox in return ?

geologist 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

cheers all
 Horse 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

Have you revisited the thread on Singletrack, Essex Cc have been on to clarify things.
 Howard J 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Horse:
> (In reply to geologist)
>
> Have you revisited the thread on Singletrack, Essex Cc have been on to clarify things.

To save you searching for it, this is what they've said:

Hello all

I’m from Essex County Council Comms Team (Thanks for the heads up chipps)

There seems to be some miss-communication here. I would like to state that ECC plans to created deviations AROUND technical features that some riders may not wish to tackle - we are not planning on ripping out the technical Olympic features as we have aspirations for the venue to be used for elite competition.

We were offering riders the opportunity to come and ride the course before we start works on it, as the venue could be closed for some time for construction. This is NOT a 'last chance' to ride the course scheme as some of you have interpreted. We simply would like you to come have a go whilst you are all raring to go, otherwise you may have to wait a while before it is open to the public.

If you do have any question, please feel free to drop a response on here and I’ll get back to you.

Hope this is a little clearer

Jen

geologist 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Howard J:

Result

Thanks all.
 Tiberius 20 Aug 2012
In reply to geologist:

Why? It wasn't very interesting was it? Reminded me more of F1 tbh, people going round with just the odd place where you could pass. Generated nothing like the excitement of the track racing, time trial, or even the road race.
 Jim Lancs 20 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius: But that's the nature of mtb racing in general not a criticism of the ex-olympic course.

The issue here is that 'something' of interest to mtb riders has been built at great expense in an area of high population and bugger all good riding. So why spend lots of money destroying it when some money could be spent making it accessible to those that wont to use it.

Won't be me, but I live in the Lakes.
 Enty 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

MTB racing has always been like that. Even at an amateur level.
Almost every race I did in the 90's was decided in the first 10 minutes - that's why I packed it in - boring.

Althought I thought the Olympic course looks awesome.

E
 Horse 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius:

Just like any other trail centre which is what people want to ride it as. The council shouldn't worry about the gnarly bits they will get neutered with skills compensator bikes with > 6 inches of travel front and back
 CarolineMc 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius: I was at Hadleigh Farm for both days of the competition. Believe me there are plenty of overtaking opportunities. Did you see the three leaders on the men's race battling it out over five laps, swapping leads, attacking, getting caught and taken? Did you see Liam gain eight places in less than one lap before he crashed? Did you see the three lead women work their way through? It's a superb course and I look forward to seeing more comps there. Co:
 Tiberius 21 Aug 2012
In reply to CarolineMc:
> ...Did you see ...

I watched the last half of the mens race. One issue seemed to be that virtually all the overtaking places were on the uphill sections. This led to the person who was best at uphill taking the lead, then going slowly on the downhill sections where people couldn't overtake him. Very good tactics, but like F1, not exciting racing (compared to the track).

I'm not sure what I was expecting tbh, but certainly something more exciting than what I watched. It just didn't have the tension of the track events and considering the real landscape as opposed to a man-made track, I expected it to have.
 Liam M 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius: I'm not sure all the overtaking places were on the uphills. Several of the technical descents had multiple lines through them, and early on I'm sure I saw overtaking on them (I was there for the women's event, but missed the men's event).

Later on when the field strung out most seemed to take the same line, probably as it was the quickest, but there weren't a lack of overtaking places going up or down hill.

It doesn't have the bunch racing of the track (though they killed those sort of events for the most part this time around) or the road, but that's part of the discipline. Maybe what you want is for CycloCross to become an Olympic event!
 mark catcher 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberious: 'Not many places to overtake' - are you kidding? There weren't many places where they couldn't overtake! Especially compared to some Northern races, which is probably the real tragedy, that the UK has some of the worlds best riding and it didn't get showcased because of the 'London thing'.
 CarolineMc 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Tiberius:
> (In reply to CarolineMc)
> [...]
>
> I watched the last half of the mens race.

Aha, perhaps you should watch some reruns...

In fact even in the last half of the men's race, the guys were swapping around, but earlier on, as mentioned, our GB rider was picking off places on the flatter bits and the techy downhills. He even crashed out overtaking on Deane's Drop. He wasn't the only one. The girls too, were taking people all over the place. It's not cyclo-cross, I'm not sure what you were expecting?!! Co:

Martin W 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> The issue here is that 'something' of interest to mtb riders has been built at great expense in an area of high population and bugger all good riding. So why spend lots of money destroying it when...

The issue is that it was never going to be 'destroyed'. The petition achieved nothing, beyond a clarification that ECC was always planning to do what the petition requested anyway.

> ...some money could be spent making it accessible to those that wont to use it.

Something else that ECC might consider spending some money on would be the employment of a better communications officer, so nobody would have had to get het up about this non-issue in the first place.
 MHutch 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to Jim Lancs)
>
> [...]
>
>
> Something else that ECC might consider spending some money on would be the employment of a better communications officer, so nobody would have had to get het up about this non-issue in the first place.

The initial statement to the Echo seemed perfectly straightforward to me. Perhaps it's time that those getting het up learned to keep their powder dry, at least for a brief period while they try to establish firm facts rather than assume the worst and spout off about it. Communication is a two-way affair.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...