UKC

Eavestone - Midges?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Simon Caldwell 21 Aug 2012
I've never climbed at Eavestone on a summer evening. If I do so, am I likely to be eaten alive (given that it gets hardly any wind and is by a big lake)? Or do they not live round there?
 Paul Clarke 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:
Plenty of midges if the air is still, warm and humid. Take some spray.

Paul
In reply to Paul Clarke:
Ta. Think we'll probably give it a miss until the autumn!
 Paul Clarke 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:
Good venue for those windy days!
 Offwidth 21 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Didn't seem too bad to me on my last visit about a month back. On a major midgy crag on an overcast humid day I'd expect to be eaten alive. They were there but I even managed to do some climbing comfortably when I expected to be walking round briskly taking notes)
 Paul Clarke 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
... and about a month ago we were chased off after just one route .. go figure!
 Offwidth 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Paul Clarke:

I think it depends on your sensitivity and what you do for counter-measures. I'm certainly midge sensitive but maybe not as much as some and that might be partly as I cover up and uses anti-midge juice when they are a pain. When I went recently it was OK for me to solo covered up... didnt even need the juice. However, on a similar day on Stanage I'd be running away screaming (or more pertinently when we went to Guiseciffe about a week later, on a partly cloudy day, the buggers made us give up sense checking for a while)

If I had to list in order the midge affected nature of grit crags on still muggy days it would be bottom quartile. If nothing else what do the midges there live on??
 Dave Musgrove 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Offwidth:

In the early 1990s I went to Eavestone around 60 times over 3 years. Often in an evening (had to work for a living in those days!). I don't remember the midges ever being a problem there then. I do remember one night there were swarms of strange and very large black flies the like of which I've never seen before or since!

Its good to see the crag is still getting some attention.

Dave
In reply to Dave Musgrove:
We're risking a trip this evening so will report back. I suspect it will be dripping wet given last night's weather!
In reply to Toreador:
Virtually no midges at all, even after the wind dropped. Seems like an ideal evening venue (though probably more ideal in a drier summer than this!)
 Offwidth 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Come on ...what did you do?
In reply to Offwidth:
Not a lot, by the time the others had found a way out of York through the race traffic! We did Spinnaker, Yardarm, and Portcullis; the others did some things on Sunnyside Buttress.

The crag was positively crowded - another group of three there (belated "hi" to Dave M, sorry didn't recognise you!)
 Offwidth 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Is Spinnaker in good nick despite this rain?
 Dave Musgrove 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

You did well to get round and do Portcullis that late on. It was virtually dark when we left The Fort. Thanks for the inspiration to get me out there again. I just went for a look around after reading your post and bumped into Mike Hammill and Simon Lambert by pure chance just before your team arrived. I repeated 2 of my own routes that I hadn't done for 20 years - and, as you say - no midges and pretty clean dry rock.

Dave
 3leggeddog 23 Aug 2012

I climbed at Eavestone yesterday, my first visit to a crag I had fancied for years. Rock was mostly clean, some topouts required a little care. A really enchanting venue. Given its location, just over the road from Brimham, I am suprised it sees so little traffic. We visited both crags in a day trip from the lakes.

What is the best time of year to see the rhodedhendrons in flower?
 3leggeddog 23 Aug 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog: no midges either
In reply to Offwidth:
> Is Spinnaker in good nick despite this rain?

Up to the crux it's fine. After that, a bit gritty, but not too bad considering.
We only had 2 torches between us - Will used one for the lead, I was 3rd and had the other (pitch dark by then), Carmen somehow got up by feel alone!
 Offwidth 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Toreador:

Pretty impressive climbing that initial traverse above the lake in the dark!
 Dave Musgrove 23 Aug 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:
> (In reply to Dave Musgrove)
>
> What is the best time of year to see the rhodedhendrons in flower?

Late May, early June is best for the Rhoddies. They do look good at that time of year but are a pain because they grow so fast. Adding pruning shears to your rack is always useful here!

mikekeswick 25 Aug 2012
In reply to Offwidth: That traverse is fun!!!! Don't fall into the black stench water....
 3leggeddog 25 Aug 2012
In reply to mikekeswick:

The guide book mentions shooting and fishing, trout leaping out of the water. Neither of the lakes looked as though they would support fish. A bit of eutrophication perhaps?
 Dave Musgrove 26 Aug 2012
In reply to 3leggeddog:

You do occasionaly see fishermen there. I understand they pay quite a lot to be part of a hunting and shooting syndicate in the area. I believe the shooting takes place on the farm land above but the woods are managed for rearing pheasants and on shoot days in Nov/Dec the beaters work their way through the woods clearing them out. Fortunately Nov/Dec are not usually good for climbing there so little chance of conflict. Back in the early 1990s I disturbed a poacher in the Rhoddies below the Castle walls. He was baiting hooks hanging from overhanging branches. Showing these hooks to fishermen later got us into their good-books and they saw us as allies rather than intruders after that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...