UKC

Where would you like to see a new wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
andrew8916 21 Aug 2012
Hi

For a while I have been contemplating opening a climbing wall in the west midlands any where between Birmingham and Bristol and would just like peoples thoughts on where you would like to see a new wall?

Many thanks

Andrew
 JimboWizbo 21 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Build one near Coventry with decent routes and I'll love you forever
 Murd 21 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:
Bromsgrove/Redditch plz!
 ashley1_scott 21 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:
We could do with one in Portsmouth
Removed User 21 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Amersham needs one - apparently.
 Mi|es 21 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

There's loads of walls out in the west midlands and therefore loads of competition. You'd probably be better to research which parts of the country don't have as many walls and open one where supply isn't meeting demand. Personally I'd suggest one of the larger towns in Kent as we currently only have a very small number of dedicated centres, none of which are really worth visiting on a regular basis.
 ROFFER 22 Aug 2012
In reply to Mi|es:

Been saying it for years, a decent sized wall in Ashford or Maidstone would do very well indeed in my opinion.
 PeterJuggler 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Shaftesbury. I don't live there, it just looks like it would fill a gap in the classifieds climbing walls map.
We're in desperate need of a good wall in Brighton but there are already plans so there is some hope for us.
 Voltemands 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Worcester. It has one, but check the reviews of the place. It seems anyone in that region who has been climbing for any more than a year, makes the commute too either Gloucester or Birmingham too get away from the place.

Jobbo 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Winchester please.
 Tom Last 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

In the southwest, Truro is a glaring omission.

There's a big university and a big regional college nearby, a young population generally. Catchment for Truro, Falmouth, Newquay, Redruth/Cambourne, St Austell and likely further afield considering how far people are prepared to travel to get to The Barn. Lots of holidaymakers and rained off would-be sea-cliff climber in the summer months. Plus there's no serious competition nearby (The Barn isn't nearby).

I reckon a wall would clear up there.
 Sir Chasm 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Fort William.
 Matt Schwarz 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: somewhere on mid wales coast
richyfenn 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Somewhere down in Bromley please, I know its all the way down in Kent but I'm sure it'll be worth it
 Darron 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

A first forUKC - no mention ofStoke on a thread like this!
sarahjharrison 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:
I know it's not going to happen, but to the West of London still has gaps. We drive an hour to Westway or occasionally do the hour to Reading (have given up on Guildford). Even the new wall opening in Kingston will still be approx an hour in evening traffic. London climbing walls are rammed... it seems there's still enough demand to support more.
 beardy mike 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Yep - another vote for wiltshire. There's going to be 3 in Bristol soon, but then there is a gap to Swindon, a small one in Radstock with limited hours and no leading or bouldering, then across to Alton... there is a massive hole, land is reasonably cheap there and there must be a good catchment of climbers. For example I know there are loads of climbers in the Frome/Wells/Bath area who can't always go over to cheddar and get bored of UCR.
thegreatmarkie 22 Aug 2012
croydon!! excellent transport links to a massive catchment area, all the lead/top roping gyms are over an hour away by car more by public transport! plus some unfortunate people have to live in the cronx as well, would make life easier!
 Hephaestus 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Do you wanna pop one up in my back garden? Got large outhouses and a large area for cars...
 Archangel 22 Aug 2012
Balmain
Flatus Vetus 22 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Slough
 Solsbury 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Bath, you know it makes sense.
 JIMBO 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Yeovil... It's an hour from any other dedicated centre and well connected to draw in from Taunton, Dorchester, shaftsbury, Salisbury, etc...
 quiffhanger 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Oxford. Current wall is too small, super busy (I have an annual membership and sometimes get refused entry coz it's so busy!) and too wrapped up in bureaucracy to respond to demand.

An commercially-run wall with enthusiastic & dedicated staff could do well. Finding somewhere would be the hardest part but there are a few places.

-ross
 IainWhitehouse 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Sheffield?? I'm told the BMC thinks there should be (another) one there.
 Ava Adore 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Coalville, Leicestershire
 Chris the Tall 23 Aug 2012
In reply to IainWhitehouse:
> (In reply to andrew8916) Sheffield?? I'm told the BMC thinks there should be (another) one there.

In the local paper today - Awesome walls looking to build one suitable for international comps near the M1

https://www.facebook.com/AwesomeWallsSheffield
 Kieran_John 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

I'm off to Coventry on the 5th September, if you can get one built there (the nearby uni looks passable, just!) then I'd greatly appreciate it. In all honesty though you're just going to get people posting roughly where they live!

I've experience of Birmingham and Bristol themselves. Red Point in Birmingham and an old church in Bristol. Both were excellent and would probably provide stiff competition in the surrounding areas.

Rokt in Brighouse has managed to carve themselves in a niche in an area surrounded by Sheffield, Leeds and Harrogate though, so it's definitely not impossible. They're very family friendly and aim to appeal to kids and parents who want to try out bouldering without any of that expensive and dangerous rope nonsense (though they do cater very well to 'proper' climbers!) and they've done very well by setting up shop in a relatively small town, directly off a major motorway in an old flour mill. I imagine the mill was relatively cheap given there's little other use for them nowadays.

Copying what they've done certainly wouldn't be a bad start. Are there any small towns close by to larger cities on the M5? Any with cheap rents or old abandoned (tall and unique) buildings?
 rich-p-bath 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Bath would be cool, already quite a sporty city and i'm sure the uni climbing society could make use of it too.
Currently go to radstock to use one, but lack of bouldering and leading is a shame.
 Neil Williams 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Only idea I'd have is Rugby on the grounds of being half way between me in MK and someone I climb with a lot who has moved to Brum. In practice, though, it's near Leicester, Northampton and Cov, so probably wouldn't be a solid business proposition. And in practice we'll probably end up at the Pinnacle and Bear Rock in rotation anyway

Neil
 krikoman 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: on the foundations around my extension.
 Mr Fuller 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Grimsby. Nearest climbing wall is an hour away, immediate population base is in excess of 400,000.
 Charlie Noakes 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Redditch please
 plyometrics 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Bolton, one of the largest town's in the UK, is crying out for a wall.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at property in and around the town centre and created a very conservative business plan a couple of years ago when I still lived there, but didn't have the balls to risk our savings on it...

I suspect strongly had I bothered, it would have been a very profitable business proposition.

Brett Ffitch 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Pembrokeshire
 IainWhitehouse 23 Aug 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall: I know. I gather they have asked the BMC to back it. I presumed that since they have appplied for planning then the BMC agreed. Perhaps I am unfairly maligning the BMC??
The BMC are aware of this project but have not 'backed' it.

Dave D.
 Bulls Crack 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Brighouse
 jpm102 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew891:

Anywhere in Hertfordshire, please for the love of god someone put one in Hertfordshire. I don't think there is a proper wall in the entire county. Combined with its lack of real rock I think it is probably the county with the least climbing in the UK.
 aquazepp 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Derby
 drewish 23 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Bournemouth/Poole area. Area is ripe for a decent wall. Very limited competition - Calshot...the routes there are great no doubt but location is terrible. Also with lack of decent bouldering in the area (loads of great routing) you'd be a welcome welcome addition
 tombawimba 24 Aug 2012
Bath
Sircumfrins 24 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Southampton area for sure.
Kemun 24 Aug 2012
Recently moved to Corsham...having to travel to Bristol to climb indoors...I would love to have the start-up funds to open a wall in Bath. I'm sure it would make a killing - well off area. But would a site be too costly in such an expensive city?
 Alex Slipchuk 24 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: between me and my neighbours. I get some strange looks when i do my yoga freesnaking in the back garden.
 Lukem6 24 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Just to the left of Garage Buttress at Stoney Middleton. Might help spread the grade range at stoney a little more. Get a few more Vdiffs in there. And if you put a canopy over it could be a 4 season hot spot.
 drewish 24 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: Did i mention Bournemouth/Poole area?
 pork pie girl 27 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

opposite my house in my garage
 Trangia 27 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Brighton? Slough? Truro? Shaftesbury?

Methinks there are a number of UKCers in need of a geography lesson!
 G0WEN5Y 27 Aug 2012
Ratho only had one
 Bulls Crack 27 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

And Sheffield gets another one ffs.
 Ava Adore 27 Aug 2012
In reply to Trangia:

Nope. I think most of us are wistfully answering the thread title rather than the question actually asked
JimHarwood 28 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:Gillingham in North Dorset, it's in the middle of a huge void but has a railway station to bring people in as well as the A30 and A303 nearby. On top of that I'd come and run it for you!
In reply to andrew8916: I could do with one across the bathroom. I'm sick of not being able to use the loo when someone's in the bath.
 sam@work 29 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916: another vote for coventry/leamington spa !!
 Howardw1968 29 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

This house could have done with one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-19407971
 steve taylor 29 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

Forget the midlands - plenty walls for everyone within an hours drive

Try Dorset - huge gap in the market for a decent, well-run climbing wall with a significant market desperate for an alternative to QE in Wimborne and the long trek to Calshot (good wall/routes, poor location and bouldering). The Bournemouth Uni wall has just closed too.
 Flinticus 29 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:
Shrewsbury, so I have somewhere fairly close when I visit my father-in-law.
 Skip 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to andrew8916)
>
> In the southwest, Truro is a glaring omission.
>

Came to the same conclusion for exactly the same reasons during a recent conversation.
 racodemisa 30 Aug 2012
In reply to andrew8916:
NW London,somewhere around Brent cross or Cricklewood or central London-the Camden town/Kings X area?
In reply to andrew8916:

> For a while I have been contemplating opening a climbing wall in the west midlands any where between Birmingham and Bristol and would just like peoples thoughts on where you would like to see a new wall?

As Myles stated, albeit well outside your suggested location, Kent lacks any decent climbing walls but has a large population, especially in east Kent/Medway. The nearest decent wall for me (living in Chatham) is The Reach, in Woolwich. An excellent and expanding climbing centre but still a 35mins drive away.

Medway's still keen to support regeneration projects & has a varied sporting venue choice but only the tiny, restricted access climbing wall at Arethusa, in Upnor.
 cbonner 01 Sep 2012
In reply to andrew8916:

+1 again for Wiltshire. All I want is a decent bouldering wall for when its raining or mid week workouts!!

Serious lack in the area.

Calshot's bouldering is rubbish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...