UKC

Scottish winter mountaineering/climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 23 Aug 2012
Hey,

I have just got back from a 5 day alpine introduction with jagged globe; I really enjoyed the course and completed the Mont Blanc extension after. I spoke to my guide about what to do next and a cheap way to do it (as I’m a student) and currently in debt massively due to the above... He suggested that I go to Scotland for the winter and do some ice climbing and winter mountaineering to continue to gain experience and knowledge.

So I plan to spend my whole winter leave from university in Scotland doing just this, the only problem is I need a competent partner/s to show me the ropes etc... None of my mates are interested in this kind of thing so I need a partner that’s willing to share a bit of their time and knowledge with me to help me improve.

I have experience in the hills from 10 years in the Army, and personal trips and started climbing last year, but I'm trying to learn everything as fast as possible as feel I’m playing catch up to people who have been doing this for years.

Is there anyone who can help? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!
almost sane 23 Aug 2012
In reply to anthony_hill:
You can get some free training here http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/free-training.asp

The Lodge is also a good place to meet up with potential partners. Especially on the training courses.
OP betathief 24 Aug 2012
In reply to almost sane: This is great, thanks for the post! I have had a look and will def apply closer to that term, so i know what i will be doing on those dates. unfortunatly its in feb, and i will have mid dec till mid jan ish off i reckon, so would like to capitalise on this chunk of time off!
 TobyA 24 Aug 2012
In reply to anthony_hill: Could you find people interested in your uni's club? I started Scottish winter climbing with other people like me (and by the sounds of it you) - a bit of experience using ice axe and crampons, but no Scottish experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...