UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Mammut Trion Alpinist Rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 24 Aug 2012
Mammut Trion Alpinist #1, 3 kbThe Trion Alpinist from Mammut combines durability and simplicity in a simple design. The fixed one-buckle top lid offers easy access and the flat pack bottom provides stability when loading and unloading.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=4868
 edinburgh_man 24 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC Gear:

1500g for a 40L pack? Are they having a laugh? It should be half that!
Aldaris 26 Aug 2012
In reply to rosmat:
I'm wondering why would this be a joke. Not heavier than the Deuter Guide 35+ (~1700g) which is used by majority of alpine mountaineers and guides...
 TobyA 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Aldaris:

> Not heavier than the Deuter Guide 35+ (~1700g)

It might be a decent pack, but I reckon these days that's 700 grams more than necessary for a pack that size. 700 grs of 'other stuff' is a lot you could take for the same over all weight if you got a lighter pack. If the weather goes crappy, I know which I would prefer - a really tricked out back system on my day pack or a belay jacket!

> which is used by majority of alpine mountaineers and guides...

http://xkcd.com/285/
 jezb1 26 Aug 2012
In reply to UKC Gear: I wouldn't buy that cos of the weight.

Far too heavy when we're all trying to save weight buy using phantom krabs etc....
In reply to UKC Gear: I have a Deuter Guide 45+ and it is far comfier to carry than my OMM 35 litre Jirchanka even though it is significantly heavier. Having followed the "light is right" approach for many years I am now having second thoughts with that with regard to rucksacks.

Al
Aldaris 27 Aug 2012
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

I have similar experience but coming from a Osprey Talon 33 and switched to a Trion Pro. In my opinion light is only right when you don't really carry much. When you have heavy loads, a backpack with proper back system is much more comfortable.
Ok, I don't want to start the usual light-freak vs proper-backpack argument, just mentioned that around 30-40L, the ultralite choice is not obvious (and definitely not a joke). For below 20L it is.

About the Deuter Guide: I cannot cite it obviously, but if you go to the german speaking parts of the alps, you will notice the abundance of Deuter Guides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...