UKC

Help! Trying to find a saddle or "half moon" washer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 26 Aug 2012
Been trying to find a "half moon washer", without sucess. I did find one shop in America and they were only £0.80, but postage was £16.00 !!

Maybe one of you guys have one spare/for sale?

This is what I'm after:
http://www.vataxaccountancy.co.uk/washer.jpg
The washer I'm after is 16mm across with a 6mm central hole.
Removed User 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: Bike shop?
In reply to Removed User:

Local bike shop had never seen them before (they're off an old 80's bike I have)
In reply to Richie Rich:

Looks plastic, I'm after metal of some description if possible.
 JLS 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter:

>"Local bike shop had never seen them before"

Shocking! Ye need an olde worldy bike shop that's likely to have a drawer full of them.

If you'd posted yesterday, I'd probably been able to find one in a tin of bits I've got in my mum's garage... Might be a while before I'm out that way again - I'm a bad son.

Is it for the back (round curve) or front (oval curve)?
 Timmd 26 Aug 2012

I might have a few lying around at my parents' house as well. Think it'll be by next Saturday by the time i've definately had a look but it might be sooner. I don't know what curve shape they'd be though, re JLS's post just above. Is next Saturday too long?
In reply to JLS:

"Shocking! Ye need an olde worldy bike shop that's likely to have a drawer full of them."

My local shop is full of pinarellos and such like. I suspect even Shimano 105 is alien to them :-P LOL
In reply to JLS:

I need one to attach a brake caliper to the read brake bridge. The brake bridge has a diameter of 12mm if that's helpful? I have one already I just lost the second one. For the moment I have just tightened a nut on there, but it'd better with one of these washers There's no urgent rush though.
cap'nChino 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: Acn you buy a full sized washer and chop it in half?
In reply to cap'nChino:

No, check out the picture I posted. I'm not sure if it's actually officially called a "half moon washer" that's just what it was called on a website where I found a picture of one.
 Andrew W 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: I might have one from a 1980s bike will check when I'm home, on my bike I only have 1 between the caliper and bar and don't have one between the bar and the nut, its been fine like that for over a year.
 deepsoup 26 Aug 2012
> I'm not sure if it's actually officially called a "half moon washer" that's just what it was called on a website where I found a picture of one.

I think "saddle washer" might be a better term for it.
eg: http://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?s=27-26 (random link off google)
 AlasdairM 26 Aug 2012
In reply to Richard Carter: That looks very similar to the washers Avid use on their tri-align system both on disk brake calipers and cantilever brake pads.

I don't have any spare though as I've split a few of them myself!
In reply to deepsoup:

Yeah that looks right! Was going to buy a couple but nearly 5 quid for a couple of washers made me balk :-P

I've still not managed to find one of these, so if anyone has managed to find one...
 balmybaldwin 28 Sep 2012

WIll have a look in my box of bits when I get home... I may well have one
 LastBoyScout 28 Sep 2012

Pretty sure I've got one of those kicking around in a box at home - I'll try and remember to have a look later.

Failing that, there's a couple of "old school" bike shops around here and I'll be shopping for a new crash helmet over the next few days, so can check for you.
In reply to Richard Carter: I have one in my hand right now. pm an address and it's yours by Monday. 0p
 JLS 28 Sep 2012

I've been carring one about all week in an envelope with you name and address on it!

Will make an effort to buy a stamp and get it off to you tomorrow...
In reply to JLS:

Cheers, arrived today
In reply to unclesamsauntibess:

I got some washers today - I assume from you? Thank you very much, I've now re-assembled the brakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...