UKC

Where best to start trad climbing - cornwall/Devon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chers 27 Aug 2012
After 3 years of climbing, leading and bouldering, I'm venturing into the world of trad. Can anyone recommend some suitable, friendly crags/routes for a newbie? You know the kind I mean, where there's not too much faff for gear placements, and where I wouldn't be clinging on by my fingertips tring to get that nut in! Not too keen on the thought of too much exposure but know there's a lot of easy-ish sea crags down West.
 jayjackson 27 Aug 2012
In reply to chers:
sent you an e-mail, apparently my reply was too long...
 ledifer 27 Aug 2012
In reply to chers:

probably not worth travelling for but I did my first leads on the mods at leigh tor (10mins from Ashburton.

Really easy routes on a non intimidating slab so you can concentrate on placing gear. I imagine a lot of people would just solo there.
 Ava Adore 27 Aug 2012
In reply to chers:

Sennen and Bosigran have some fantastic low grade climbs and not always too exposed
 Skip 27 Aug 2012
In reply to chers:

Halldrine Cove, next to Bosigran. Not many climbs, but nearly all low grade single pitch. Easy access,most climbs can be done as shorter route at high tides. There are no topos in Rock Fax or CCG but can be downloaded.

Superb beginners crag and never busy.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=2706

OP chers 29 Aug 2012
Thanks people
 Kemics 29 Aug 2012
In reply to chers:

Easy access from Devon and Cornwall (as it's near plymouth)

The Dewerstone - lots of easy and very well protected climbs (not to mention enjoyable). Excellent venue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...