UKC

Bouldering near mossley, oldham

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jules699 27 Aug 2012
V excited to be moving to mossley near peak district soon but my experience of PD bouldering is hathersage way on. Can anyone reccomend/show me some areas further north/north west? I know of a few places from guidebooks and a recent v short trip to wimberry and den lane but local advice would be much appreciated.
 TobyA 27 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699: I used to live in Mossley, and I'm not certain but Wimberry will probably be the closest. There might be some chossy quarries even closer, but I guess Wimberry is the real thing.
OP jules699 27 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA: ok. thanks. hobson moor quarry looks good and not too far away. what do you mean by chossy?
 TobyA 27 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699:
> (In reply to TobyA) ok. thanks. hobson moor quarry looks good and not too far away.

There might be some bouldering at Hobson Moor but that's a place for routes really. Wimberry is proper bouldering, on boulders!

> what do you mean by chossy?

Crap, loose, rubbish etc. Looking at your pics you seem to have climbed quite a lot to not know what chossy means! You must be very particular with your route choices.
OP jules699 27 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA: Ok. There looks to be a few decent routes in the latest PD bouldering guidebook for HM tho. I have done quite a bit of climbing but never heard of that expression - sorry!
 TobyA 27 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699: There are plenty of quarries around those parts where you can learn the true meaning of choss!

You gonna be in Upper or Lower Mossley? I was told that all the posh folk live in upper Mossley (where we did) although living next to the brass band club suggests posh is relative. If it's still there, the Sicilian restaurant on the high street was lovely so I'd recommend.
In reply to jules699: Buy this beauty (http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6506)...it tells you everything you could ever want to know about local bouldering & climbing. It includes where not to go, including some of the places around Mossley (Scout Crags etc etc)
OP jules699 28 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA: Lower Mossley but on a new-ish development. Wasnt aware of the "divide", lol. Thanks for the restaurant advice!
OP jules699 28 Aug 2012
In reply to The Vicar of Chinley: I have the Western Grit Guidebook as well as the last two editions of Peak Bouldering. Will Over The Moors still give me extra info?
 hoodmonkey 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699:

Hobson Moor is a decent enough training venue and probs worth a visit, although non of the problems are particularly memorable and the ones up on the downward face of the lone boulder are pretty morpho.

Conversely, Wimberry, in my opinion, is one of the best grit bouldering venues in the Peak District. The rock quality is excellent, it's never crowded, the views and surroundings are beautiful and there are loads of classic problems across the range. Looking at your profile you should get on stuff like Think Tank, Fish Arete, Elephant's Pinch and Rail Trail; all great problems.

If you're in Mossley then it's not far to the Buckstones boulders and even some Yorkshire grit.

Enjoy

Hm
OP jules699 28 Aug 2012
In reply to hoodmonkey: Cheers for the advice. I did a little recce to wimberry recently and other than the bracken it did seem pretty cool. Buckstones looks good..as does West Nab...
 Tom Valentine 28 Aug 2012
In reply to TobyA:

Think you'll blend in better if you refer to it as "Top Mossley"
OP jules699 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Tom Valentine: I'm not fussed about blending in

...the local folk seemed friendly enough when I visited...
 Fluvial 28 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699:

Hobson Moor Quarry is good for tranverses and a few decent boulder problems not much more than an hour or so though.
Wimberry is ace
In reply to jules699: Western Grit is selective and misses much of the bouldering in the area. Over the Moors gives you all the climbing & bouldering info you'll ever need for the area..., den lane, standedge, west nab and all the rest. If you have a car (or mates with a car) you'll need to know about these places. The peak bouldering guides cover Wimberry, Hobby Moor and erm, that's about it. The answer to your question is yes.
 TobyA 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Tom Valentine: sorry, very true! It has been ten years and I'm obviously going a bit senile. It is a really interesting and at time very beautiful area.
 schloosh 29 Aug 2012
In reply to jules699:

Plenty of info on Buckstones here:
http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/buckstones_edge

Chew Valley, including Wimberry, here:
http://www.chewvalley.bravehost.com/
OP jules699 29 Aug 2012
In reply to schloosh: Cheers buddy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...