UKC

New Garmin Forerunner 10

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 28 Aug 2012
Just a heads up to all those that are looking for a basic GPS/Heart rate running watch.

Garmin have just launched the Garmin Forerunner 10 for £99.99.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

Can you provide a link?

Many thanks.

In reply to Indy: For an extra £7 you can get a 110

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/2871/garmin-forerunner-110---pink-bund...

Not sure if there are any better features on the 110 mind you....
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Darren09:

Yup,

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=107143

How this fits into the Forerunner range cost/feature-wise I have no idea but at under £100 seems like a good deal to me for the features.
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers:

Add £30 for a heart rate monitor thats INCLUDED with the FR10 and FR110 doesn't quite look the bargain it seems.
In reply to Indy: It's £15 extra for the bundle on that site, so the first link I posted for £107 includes HRM
In reply to Indy: That's not to say its a bargain, I don't know if there are any extra features on the 100 over the 10...just highliting a cheap place to get garmin watches
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012

Agreed thats a cracking price for a FR110. Hopefully they'll also do some good deals on the FR10.

Anyway just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a new Forerunner.
 Jack 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy: will it give you an os grid ref? Would be interested in a watch that did. Do any of them?
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:

That guy DC Rainmaker is LEGEND! finally decided to take the (expensive) plunge with the FR610 after reading his review of it.

Also can I take this moment to apologise... the FR10 does NOT have heart rate capability.
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Jack:
> (In reply to Indy) will it give you an os grid ref?. Do any of them?
My FR610 doesn't and to be honest I doubt if any of them would do as there geared towards running rather than navigation. It'll be interesting what the Garmin Fenix does as from what I've seen it appears to be more of a hybrid trail/running watch.

Gone 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Jack:

The 910xt will give an OS grid reference, and much else besides. It is much more expensive though.
In reply to Gone: Yes, and the older 310XT model will give a gridref as well.
OP Indy 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Gone:

I seem to be making a right pigs ear of this wot with all this miss information I'm spreading about hence I shall bow out here.
 steelbru 28 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to Jack)
> [...]
> My FR610 doesn't and to be honest I doubt if any of them would do as there geared towards running rather than navigation. It'll be interesting what the Garmin Fenix does as from what I've seen it appears to be more of a hybrid trail/running watch.

Are you sure your FR610 doesn't tell you where you are ? Mine does !

Go to "Where To" on main menu, then "Where Am I"
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to steelbru:

To be honest I'm not 100% sure I know that theres a couple of navigation features but I was under the impression that they were just 'as the crow flies' arrows rather than crumb trails with actual co-orindates. Not really something I use.
In reply to Indy: I would be interested to know how many features that the more expensive watches have are regularly used by owners?

i.e. do most users just use the basic features that are available on the cheaper watches and not bother with the more intricate stuff or are the features really worth the extra money?
 Banned User 77 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Game of Conkers: Some people use all the programming.. I just use mile pace, average pace, distance, time, altitude.. I've a 405 and I'm not a big fan. i think the 310 was better, just bigger, but otherwise seemed to measure more accurately, hold signal in trees better, not freeze as much and the 405 bezzle feature doesn't work in the rain..

The 310 had a map feature which was handy, but I don't use any of the virtual partner stuff...
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012

Well I thought long and hard before taking the FR610 plunge. I borrowed a FR405 the one with the touch bezel and it was a complete stinker to use. I also managed to use a FR305 for a couple of runs which was o.k but accuracy didn't seem to hold up under heavyish tree cover well that and it looks odd! One of the things I like about the FR610 is that its pretty much a normal watch and I've worn it as such on a number of occasions. Its also very easy to use and navigate something that isn't a given when it comes to Garmin.

As for the features side I just LOVE Virtual Racer! I find it really motivates me. Also because I'm lazy it prevents me easing off. I'd say that 80% of my increased speed has come from using VR.

Virtual Partner is a variation on a theme but only tend to use it on my longer Sunday runs again to ensure a good even pace.

Custom Workouts have to admit I don't use this much at all as I don't have the knowledge but can see how it could be useful.

Interval workouts I do use if I'm pushed for time.

I was lucky that I was able to borrow some FR's before deciding which to get as its easy to think don't need this don't need that but once you actually get to use the features you think wow thats good. Also I think that its not just about features you need to see how it works how it feels to use.
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:

Forgot to add of all the FR's that have been available and from the ones I've tried the FR610 really seems to me to be the complete package the point where Garmin perfected the idea both from a design and engineering point of view. It'll be interesting to see what the FR710 is.
 Andy Hardy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
If you only want a HRM watch, pop down to Aldi ... http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_26322.htm - bargain!
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to Game of Conkers) Some people use all the programming.. I just use mile pace, average pace, distance, time, altitude.. I've a 405 and I'm not a big fan. i think the 310 was better, just bigger, but otherwise seemed to measure more accurately, hold signal in trees better, not freeze as much and the 405 bezzle feature doesn't work in the rain..

You do know you can lock the bezel, so it doesn't get messed about by the rain?

I have a 405 and I'll admit I don't use all the features. I use the time, distance, and average speed as my defaults, and I'll use the altitude if I'm out in the hills - it's a bit useless if there's too much tree cover on many of the trails I run on. I also use the workouts facility, with my own workouts - 8x3min reps, 6x6min reps, pyramids and so on. I've tried using the Virtual Partner function, but I don't really get on with it.
In reply to tony: Yes.. but what if you want to change it? check a split time? use the light?
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:

I've never wanted to do any of that. Besides, if you do want to change anything, it's not hard to unlock the bezel, do what you need to do, and then lock the bezel again.
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to tony:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
> [...]
>
> You do know you can lock the bezel, so it doesn't get messed about by the rain?

Admittedly I didn't have it that long but I found that even sweaty fingers made it frustrating to use. After about the second time using it I just set the info to slow loop and left it at that.

In fairness to the FR405 I probably can't give it a fair hearing as I didn't like it when I used it and doubly so now having got the FR610 to compare it to
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
> (In reply to tony)
> [...]
>
> Admittedly I didn't have it that long but I found that even sweaty fingers made it frustrating to use. After about the second time using it I just set the info to slow loop and left it at that.

Isn't that the easiest way of doing it anyway, rather than trying to faff about with the buttons while you're running?
In reply to tony: yes it is.. if its drenched and you are drenched in sweat that is impossible.. when I'm training at a barely lit track at night I'd rather not wear a head torch and just turn a light on to view the numbers.. that's why it has the light anyway.. which can't be used if its wet.. or it just continually turns on and off.. bleeping..

When I'm doing reps I often want to know the history, how many reps, what's my grouping..
 The New NickB 29 Aug 2012
In reply to tony:

A few in my club have the 405, not found one that hasn't had problems with the bezel. I had a 205 which was great and is still being used by someone else, upgraded to a 610, but only because I wanted something a bit smaller, flasher. Great bit of kit.
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to tony)
>
> A few in my club have the 405, not found one that hasn't had problems with the bezel.

Maybe it's only me, and the way I use it.
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
> (In reply to tony)
>
> A few in my club have the 405, not found one that hasn't had problems with the bezel.
Can't say that I have much experience of others using the 405 but Garmin forums did show a fair number of people moaning/complaining about the bezel. I suspect that Garmin rushed it out as 'touch' was all the rage at the time.

Now what I do find very strange is that most running shops that I frequent (don't care which as long as it has what I'm looking for) still have a FR405 as the default range topper. FR610 is a 'special order'. Makes me wonder if Garmin have loads they are trying to get rid of so shops get special prices on them or shops have loads of unsold stock but to me anyone choosing a FR405 over a FR610 is probably being misinformed. Yes theres a price difference (don't know how much) but can't see any sane person taking the FR405 over the FR610. Well I wouldn't for any money (and thats saying something)
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Indy:
> Now what I do find very strange is that most running shops that I frequent (don't care which as long as it has what I'm looking for) still have a FR405 as the default range topper. FR610 is a 'special order'. Makes me wonder if Garmin have loads they are trying to get rid of so shops get special prices on them or shops have loads of unsold stock but to me anyone choosing a FR405 over a FR610 is probably being misinformed. Yes theres a price difference (don't know how much) but can't see any sane person taking the FR405 over the FR610. Well I wouldn't for any money (and thats saying something)

There's about £100 difference between the 410 (which superseded the 405) and the 610. I'd be quite happy getting a 410, rather than shelling out another £100 for what seems to me to be much the same functionality.
OP Indy 29 Aug 2012
In reply to tony:
Thats fair enough £100 is a lot of anyones money.
In reply to tony: The main advantage of the 410 is its easy to charge/download, its light and the battery lasts a long time. So I'm happy enough as it does a job but don't think I'll get another..
 tony 29 Aug 2012
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to tony) The main advantage of the 410 is its easy to charge/download, its light and the battery lasts a long time.

Charging a 405 isn't exactly taxing, and nor is downloading data. However, improved battery life over the 405 is a good thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...