UKC

Cornwall in late October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SARS 28 Aug 2012
I'm considering a week in Cornwall in October for some surfing and was wondering whether it would be possible to also fit in some climbing (or even bouldering) at this time of the year?

I haven't really climbed much there so don't really have a clue about local crags/conditions etc.

Cheers.
In reply to SARS:

Where abouts?

I'd imagine most of the crags in West Penwith are climbable year-round (the state of the sea notwithstanding).
OP SARS 28 Aug 2012
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Haven't decided location yet. Preliminary planning stages at the mo.
 Iain Peters 28 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS:

Baggy Point - good for routes - is situated between two surfing beaches, Croyde and Woolacombe. The Culm Coast is excellent for climbing, bouldering and surf, especially in October. Basically you are never far from a good surf beach and routes anywhere between Lynmouth in the North and Lands End.
 Slarti B 28 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS:
The conditions in West Cornwall a couple of weeks ago were appalling, 5 days of high winds, rain and zero sunshine. I was hoping to get in a couple of days climbing but failed. Still it is summer after all.

However, I have also been there at New Year wearing a T-shirt in the sun.

As a reasonably frequent visitor I can say it is just fingers crossed on the weather, nice thing is that, even with a bit of rain, the granite is so nice you can still climb. And Bosigran doesn't depend on tides!
OP SARS 28 Aug 2012
Thanks all, very helpful.
 Andyh83 28 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS: It's rare that there is nowhere in climbable condition. A few places seem to have their own little microclimate, so you can avoid the worst of any weather.

If it's raining, try bosi or head to the lizard which sometimes seems to be in glorious sunshine whilst the rest of kernow is sodden.

If not, then it's down the local for a pint of tribute i guess...
 Tom Last 28 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS:

There's quite a few dingier venues (Great Zawn etc) that will be out of condition for pretty much the entirety of the winter due to seepage, but my best days down here have generally been Jan/Feb. Climbing at any time of the year is possible, plus you'll likely have most cliffs to yourself.
 mike lawrence? 29 Aug 2012
In reply to Southern Man: apart from bosigran assuming i go down when its dry where would you suggest is likely to be warmest in Jan or Feb? I hadn't thought of going down at this time of year but given our summer its a pretty good idea.

thanks

mike
 Tom Last 29 Aug 2012
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates:

Well if this year was anything to go by, February was absolutely beautiful, but your guess is as good as mine.

There's less greasiness in the winter, crags to yourself and the skies are often clear and so it can be warm against the cliffs.

Then again, it rained every day during December! Worth a punt though I reckon
 Andy2 30 Aug 2012
In reply to mikelawrence aka jonnienomates: In January or February I would try to stay mainly on the south coast, and away from sea level.

So I would be going to St Loy, Boscawen, Porthguarnon East, Cribba Head. Also Tater Du, Levan's Wall. Kenidjack can be good if the sea's calm.

Crags on the north coast (Bosigran, Zennor, Rosemergy Towers) could be good if the wind's coming from the south.

No warranty expressed or implied !

Iain Peters 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Andy2:

Now now Andy - no mention of god's own rock, Culm! Gull Rock, Vicarage, Oldwalls, Lr Sharpnose, Northcott, Compass Point, need I go on? - all next to great surf beaches - all in Cornwall and all climbable right through the year.
 Tom Last 30 Aug 2012
In reply to Iain Peters:

Indeed, I did Matchless a few years ago just after new year. Blue sky day, great climb, very memorable. Should I mention that we wore six coats between the two of us and had a couple of millimetres ice enctrusted on the inside of the van in the morning?

The culm is great in Jan/ Feb, Cornwall's answer to the winter north face!
 Joel Perkin 30 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS: Yeah dude I would recommend Bude I live 5 mins away from Sharpnose and Vicarage. Rock dries very quickly and the routes are just brilliant. However the surf has been rubbish for weeks and weeks now, although if your lucky you'll time it right.
 thin bob 30 Aug 2012
In reply to SARS:
Have a word with Sam of The Hope Project,
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=148647
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=493772

a few good beaches around, bodyboarding championships etc, brilliant pubs and the best place to camp. you might even be able to borrow gear!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...