UKC

Doctor Who

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 01 Sep 2012
He's back, but I only think for 5 shows.

To be truthful, I'm not a fan of this doctor but tonight's show was entertaining. Not edge of the seat stuff but entertaining all the same. Sadly the darleks arn't as scary as they were in the late 60's or early 70's. They've just become comedy overgrown vibrators that people bring out to relive nostalgic memories.

I was kind of hoping that the first episode would be a slow burner with a cliff hanger to keep me hooked till next week. Sadly that wasn't to be. Is this because the writers don't think that the yoof can retain excitement beyond one episode?
 winhill 01 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I think this first one was to introduce Jenna Louise Coleman

Very sexy with a suggestion of a lesbian phase. What's not to like?
 d_b 01 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

The daleks were taught a salutary lesson about why it's a bad idea to store all your data in the cloud I thought.

Silly daleks.
OP The Lemming 01 Sep 2012
In reply to winhill:

Ho she is very doable, I have to admit. But what does puzzle me is that for the last 3 or 4 serise or even more is hint very strongly at boy-on-boy or girl-on-girl subjects.

Is Dr Who really the test bed for gender curiosity story lines?
Forgive me for being confused but I thought Dr Who was family fun before the Watershed?
OP The Lemming 01 Sep 2012
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> The daleks were taught a salutary lesson about why it's a bad idea to store all your data in the cloud I thought.
>
> Silly daleks.

Somebody should really tell the apple sheep, and soon-to-be windows 8 sheep.
 d_b 01 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> Ho she is very doable, I have to admit. But what does puzzle me is that for the last 3 or 4 serise or even more is hint very strongly at boy-on-boy or girl-on-girl subjects.
>
> Is Dr Who really the test bed for gender curiosity story lines?
> Forgive me for being confused but I thought Dr Who was family fun before the Watershed?

It's UNEFs long term scheme to keep human population under control. In other news we will be taking down the first Tauran portal world any day now.
 DancingOnRock 01 Sep 2012
In reply to davidbeynon: Russell T Davies might have something to do with it.
 Jaffacake 01 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Is a hint at homosexuality not suitable for family fun before the watershed?
Kipper 01 Sep 2012
In reply to Jaffacake:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Is a hint at homosexuality not suitable for family fun before the watershed?

Yes, or no.

In reply to The Lemming:
did anyone eles think that there should have been more of a mix of darleks,
old school shapes and things and the asylum.
 Blue Straggler 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Hannah S:

Great to have you back!
 Clarence 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Hannah S:
> did anyone eles think that there should have been more of a mix of darleks,

Actually there was quite a mix but the Daleks have been quite similar through all their different makes. Maybe some types are less unstable than others?

JLC did go through a lesbian phase as Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale as well as a murdery phase but she didn't mention that bit did she...

Interested to see how the non-Dalek version gets written in.
In reply to Clarence:
> (In reply to Hannah S)
> [...]

> Interested to see how the non-Dalek version gets written in.

will be difficult what with the character on Saturday called Oswin Oswald

And his new sidekick being called Clara Oswin
 Fraser 03 Sep 2012
What's a darlek?
paulcarey 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Didn't think it was that good tbh. The asylum wasn't as scary as it should have been (think of all those loony daleks) and the whole thing lacked some suspense. Don't get me wrong there were some nice touches; I liked the idea of the dalek-gone- human rogue.

Somehow the story writing is only ever about 70% there.
In reply to Fraser: It is an actor variety
 Red Rover 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I thought we were going to get a more intresting answer to the question 'where do you get the milk for the sufles' ....
 Duncan Bourne 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
I agree it was entertaining better than some of them have been of late but could have been better (I was kind of hoping for psycho Darleks and a bit more menace, yes I know it is aimed at kids but Ecclestone & Tennant managed it). The Darleks have fallen into the super villain trap common to any recurring villain. If they are so bloody deadly how come they keep getting defeated? So the writer has to keep upping the ante to keep you wondering how the hero will get out of this one but then has to come up with ever more fantastical ways for the hero to win out. The Borg in Star Trek suffer from this too.

(spoiler alert)

I am also wondering if the end sequence is going to be connected to the "Question which must not be answered" mentioned in the end of the last series? Nicely sidestepping what the Doctors actual name is issue.
 stewieatb 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to winhill)
>
> Ho she is very doable, I have to admit. But what does puzzle me is that for the last 3 or 4 serise or even more is hint very strongly at boy-on-boy or girl-on-girl subjects.
>
> Is Dr Who really the test bed for gender curiosity story lines?
> Forgive me for being confused but I thought Dr Who was family fun before the Watershed?

If homosexuality offends you, is it possible that the problem is above your bathroom sink, staring you in the face?
 Big Steve 03 Sep 2012
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> I am also wondering if the end sequence is going to be connected to the "Question which must not be answered" mentioned in the end of the last series? Nicely sidestepping what the Doctors actual name is issue.

spoiler alert: His name is Dave
 d_b 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Big Steve:

I know. We found out in the episode where he was abducted by Papa Lazarou.
 graeme jackson 04 Sep 2012
> Interested to see how the non-Dalek version gets written in.

They'll probably do a dallas where the dr wakes up and finds JLC in the shower and it was all a bad dream.
Hmmm Jlc in the shower..... kleenexe moment !

MJ 04 Sep 2012
In reply to graeme jackson:

Hmmm Jlc in the shower..... kleenexe moment !

Justin Lee Collins?

graeme jackson 04 Sep 2012
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to graeme jackson)
>
> Hmmm Jlc in the shower..... kleenexe moment !
>
> Justin Lee Collins?

damn! you got me. It's the beard and west country accent. Can't get enough of him. (but only after the watershed )
OP The Lemming 15 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Got to admit that I am eventually warming to this doctor. He's finally growing a backbone and getting more dark and dangerous. Up till the last couple of shows he was all sweetness and light with smiles all round.

Still a bit corny, but it is a family show so. Keep em coming. Personally I'd like a plot line to extend beyond one episode though.
 toad 15 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Lightbulbs
OP The Lemming 15 Sep 2012
In reply to toad:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Lightbulbs

Not exactly a plot though with a cliff-hanger each week. We had the big bad wolf in the first serise, but feh!

I want a story to span at least a couple of episodes to get me excited and not wanting to miss the live airing.

I'm sure that the yoof of today can maintain their concentration and anticipation beyond one night's episode?
 geebus 16 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
I believe it's torchwood you're looking for.
The captain blokey who's been in Dr Who (and shared a kiss with the Dr I think) is openly gay both in the series and in real life.
Slightly irksome as I have the same trench coat (RAF officer's jacket) which I was given a while before the show aired - was then worried that people would think I was trying to emulate him or something!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...