UKC

Anybody paddled the Caledonian Canal? Advice needed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gcandlin 02 Sep 2012
Bored on a sunday afternoon and feeling like a bit of an adventure. Just retrieved my Canoe after a few years stuck in someones garage.

Has anybody Canoed the Caledonian Canal? I am thinking of trying it at the end of Sept? Just musings at the moment but any stories or tips and tricks may push me in either direction.

Oh yeah and I haven't paddled for about 3 years so grossly unfit, but generally in decent shape.

Cheers

Gareth
 climber david 02 Sep 2012
In reply to gcandlin:

try posting on song of the paddle

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/
 marsbar 02 Sep 2012
In reply to gcandlin: Managed half of it in sea kayaks (pulled out before Loch Ness due to dodgy shoulder) enjoyed it very much.

There is plenty of information on Song of the Paddle, ukrgb, and the British Waterways website.
 marsbar 02 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar: scottishcanals.co.uk/our-canals/caledonian-canal/paddling

You can get a key for toilets from the office either end, and park securely in the marina. There is a bus between Inverness and FW for the shuttle.
 dan bulman 02 Sep 2012
i organised a group trip a few years ago. 1st night stayed in a linnhe lochside campsite. set off in the morning (check tides) to 2nd night at kilfinnan (wild camp). 3rd night in fort augustus b&b. 4th night wild camp near dores. then finish next day.

be flexible to change plans to suit wind direction. i'm pleased i've done it but i wont do it again. rigging a sail could be useful. you might need a permit?
 The New NickB 02 Sep 2012
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to gcandlin) Managed half of it in sea kayaks (pulled out before Loch Ness due to dodgy shoulder) enjoyed it very much.
>
> There is plenty of information on Song of the Paddle, ukrgb, and the British Waterways website.

Just a minor note, British Waterways doesn't exist anymore, it is now the Canal & River Trust (along with the Waterways Trust), although I suspect the website will still be redirecting, as the formal change was only early July.
 marsbar 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The New NickB: Ah ok thanks, knew it was coming at some point, didn't realise it already happened. I think most of the info is now on the link above, not sure if it will affect the parking etc.
 Cuthbert 03 Sep 2012
In reply to The New NickB:

It's actually Scottish Canals in Scotland http://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/

Check out the Great Glen Canoe Trail
 Geoff F 03 Sep 2012
In reply to gcandlin: I've done the Great Glen Canoe Trail and would thoroughly reccomend it. There is a brilliant guide book by Donald MacPherson (featuring several photos of me!) which will give you all the info you need.
 JFort 06 Sep 2012
In reply to gcandlin:

The guide book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Glen-Canoe-Trail-Scotlands/dp/1906095310/ref=...

I did the GGCT with quad, neither of us had done any trips by canoe before only the odd hour or so, we did it in 4 days, recommended is 5, it hurt by the end! Amazing trip though, thoroughly recommended!

Donald also runs guided trips, hires kit and shuttles - contact info@explorehighland.com

You'll love it which ever way you do it but stay safe, especially on Loch Ness.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...