UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Insulin Challenge - Divine Providence

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 03 Sep 2012
The route of Divine Providence - up the rock wall and then follow the ridge to the summit of Mont Blanc!, 3 kbJerry Gore is a 51 yr old insulin-dependent diabetic dad and an extremely accomplished climber.

This year he has set himself the challenge of climbing three of the most famous routes in the Alps; Divine Providence on Mont Blanc, Attraverso il Pesce (The Fish route) on the Marmolada, Dolomites and La Vida Es Silbar on the Rhote Fluh of the North Face of the Eiger.

Here's the story of Divine Providence...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=4896

rlines 05 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC Articles: Good work Jerry.

I'm a diabetic mountaineer and I feel the diabetic bits were over emphasised. I see the need - this is a story to promote diabetic awareness, but do we really need sympathy for all those blood tests and injections? I don't, I want people to stop considering diabetics as a liability in the hills.

However, the really great thing about this article is how those with type 1 diabetes needn't consider anything off limits and aren't a liability. In fact the largest trials faced here weren't really related to diabetes, in my opinion.

Again, great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...