UKC

climbing in Lancashire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neil86 04 Sep 2012
Hey people!

Does anyone know of any decent climbing routes in Lancashire?

Cheers
 Carol B 04 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86:

Hi Neil - There's too many to mention here however "Lancashire Rock" lists them all.
 Jim Lancs 04 Sep 2012
Zoom in on the map and have a look.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/

You'll see that the county is well covered and basically the 'major areas' are western Pennines and in the north between Carnforth and Kendal, together with loads of more esoteric spots all over.

Find out which area most interests you there'll be loads of local help offered.
 Simon Caldwell 04 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86:
> Does anyone know of any decent climbing routes in Lancashire?

Any of the routes that leads to Yorkshire.

Sorry.
 Al Evans 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Toreador: THeres lots of great climbing in Lancashire, somebody posted this earlier which may be useful
http://www.lancashirerock.co.uk/gb/results.php?step=3&country=&area...
 Calder 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Jim Lancs:
> Zoom in on the map and have a look.
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/
>
> You'll see that the county is well covered and basically the 'major areas' are western Pennines and in the north between Carnforth and Kendal, together with loads of more esoteric spots all over.
>
> Find out which area most interests you there'll be loads of local help offered.

This. Gritstone quarries (and also a couple of small natural outcrops) around the following areas: Bolton, Rochdale, Rossendale, Blackburn.

Small limestone outcrops and some big limestone quarries around Carnforth and Silverdale.

A couple of minor gritstone outcrops in Trough of Bowland and Witches Quarry near Pendle.

If your profile is right and you live in Chester then you also have Helsby nearby, and Pex Hill just over The Bridge. And Frogsmouth in Runcorn. And also all the limestone (trad & sport) near Llangollen - http://www.sportsclimbs.co.uk.

Shit loads basically.
 quarryman 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Calder:

Loads. Helsby near Runcorn is also great and perhaps under rated ( which means its always quiet!). Troy quarry in rossendale is also excellent. But gets chocked when the weather is anything other than atrocious. As others have said, Lancashire Rock covers it all.
 wilkie14c 04 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86:
Lancs is my adopted home county now and I rather like it! Nothing that falls in the 'easy' bracket but if you aren't used to outdoor climbing you'll be hooking up with an experienced climber anyway I guess. Anglezarke, Wilton 1, 2 and 3 quarries and Denham all have quality and interesting climbing just off the M61. Loads of us climb around these parts only you don't hear too much from us as we aren't as needy as our yorkshire cousins...
I see you are from Derby originally, me too! <Sunnyhill/littleover> Nice to 'meet' you, although if I later find out you support forest you can f**k off though
 Bulls Crack 04 Sep 2012
In reply to quarryman:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
Lancashire Rock covers it all.

Literally!
 Dom Whillans 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> (In reply to quarryman)
> [...]
> Lancashire Rock covers it all.
>
> Literally!

and if you ever need to get a bunk up to start a route the Brick is a good way to gain a few inches

The New NickB 05 Sep 2012
In reply to quarryman:
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> Loads. Helsby near Runcorn is also great and perhaps under rated ( which means its always quiet!). Troy quarry in rossendale is also excellent. But gets chocked when the weather is anything other than atrocious. As others have said, Lancashire Rock covers it all.

Chocked! I suppose it does sometimes have more that a couple of climbers on it.

In twenty years climbing at Troy I have never been when I would describe it as busy.
 Simon Caldwell 05 Sep 2012
In reply to quarryman:
> Helsby near Runcorn is also great and perhaps under rated

and also in Cheshire
 Rick Graham 15 Sep 2012
Always disappointed in Lancs climbing. Either about my performance or the quality of the routes.

I keep thinking the best thing about Lancashire is the M6.
 Martin Bennett 15 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86:

I've a spare copy of The Lancashire Brick if you wanna make me an offer? Bear in mind postage'll be a lot. Unless we arrange to meet for handover when you get here to climb?
 Rob Davies 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Toreador: Now that might be the reason why Helsby is not in Lancashire Rock.
 cuzdave 18 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86: Look at rockfax western grit, gives a friendlier user guide to lancs climbing..
 The New NickB 18 Sep 2012
In reply to neil86:

Not mentioned yet, but definately in Lancashire, Dow.
 Calder 18 Sep 2012
In reply to cuzdave:
> (In reply to neil86) Look at rockfax western grit, gives a friendlier user guide to lancs climbing..

I'd have to admit that's fairly true. I remember going to Wilton 3 in the early days of my climbing life, with my brand new Lancs Rock, thinking "ooh, there's a starred diff over there - I'll try that.........."

Error!

On the flip side there are many many gems that aren't in the Rockfax though (or at least not in the old Western Grit).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...