UKC

Climbing Wall Tea prices!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Evanrock 04 Sep 2012
Redpoint 50p
Creation 70p
Wolf Mountain £1:40
In reply to Evanrock:

All Awesome Walls £1:00

Flinticus 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
Who cares about the tea. Its the coffee that counts and I'd rather quality over the crap that stews in those gold fish bowls.
Removed User 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock: Dunno but you get a free scowl when you ask for more milk at the Climbing Works!
 Reach>Talent 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Removed User:
Because milky tea is vile?
 GarethSL 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Flinticus:
> (In reply to Evanrock)
> Who cares about the tea.

Godless heathen!
 Ramblin dave 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
I find the tea at a lot of walls is more or less useless - there's no real variety and they tend to just make it stronger by leaving the teabag in longer rather than brewing it creatively. I know that beginners' classes, stag parties and groups on corporate team-building exercises are fine with a milky cup of PG Tips and that that's what brings in the money, but if they want to provide a serious training facility for committed tea-drinkers, they really need to have a proper variety of interesting teas in the higher strengths.
 nufkin 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to Evanrock)
> but if they want to provide a serious training facility for committed tea-drinkers, they really need to have a proper variety of interesting teas in the higher strengths.

Maybe it turns out that us committed tea-drinkers aren't interested in/capable of serious training?
In reply to Removed User: Eh!! The milk is self service, you put as much in as you want
 Ramblin dave 04 Sep 2012
In reply to nufkin:
> (In reply to Ramblin dave)
> [...]
>
> Maybe it turns out that us committed tea-drinkers aren't interested in/capable of serious training?

Speak for yourself - I've even got a little teapot at home so I can get some training in on nights when I can't make it to the wall.
 wilkie14c 04 Sep 2012
In reply to all of you soft tea botherers:
Seriously chaps, lets take stock here. UKC is the soapbox of some of the most outstanding climbers and adventurers of our time. Andy K - mental solo aider, Franko - cheeky scamp that he is but no denying his bottle, Craggs - guidebook magician, John Arran, Pat Littlejohn, Cool, Bonnigton, Parnell, Gibson, Evans and all the rest of them. These local heros are just a few key strokes away from us and we can laugh and cry with them and share stories of daring-do, perhaps inspiring us to get out and live a little ourselves. This is what its come to is it? Discussing the price of tea at indoor walls? Jesus wept!!
Is it time to hang up my ropes and start making model ships?
 SFM 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:

Are you trying to suss out which wall's tea shop to undercut or something? Stove and kettle out in the car park....reusing the tea bags on the fly.

I seriously hope this is not an example of modern youths angst! ;O)
 DreadyCraig 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
You should try Craggy Island in Guildford, Two hot drinks and two slices of cake £7+
 stonemaster 04 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Carrying a flask of freshly made Darjeeling first flush usually avoids all of the above grief...
 Kelcat 04 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to all of you soft tea botherers)
> Seriously chaps, lets take stock here. UKC is the soapbox of some of the most outstanding climbers and adventurers of our time. Andy K - mental solo aider, Franko - cheeky scamp that he is but no denying his bottle, Craggs - guidebook magician, John Arran, Pat Littlejohn, Cool, Bonnigton, Parnell, Gibson, Evans and all the rest of them. These local heros are just a few key strokes away from us and we can laugh and cry with them and share stories of daring-do, perhaps inspiring us to get out and live a little ourselves. This is what its come to is it? Discussing the price of tea at indoor walls? Jesus wept!!
> Is it time to hang up my ropes and start making model ships?

Ffffing fantastic response
OP Evanrock 04 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Is the 14c significant blanchie?
ps chill man!
 Ramblin dave 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
It's alright, it takes a while to come to appreciate the fundamental importance of tea drinking to British adventure climbing. I'm Andy K practised hard at his local wall before he was ready to have a nice cuppa on a freezing portaledge halfway up the west face of the dru.
 Howardw1968 04 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
Big Rock has a choice of teas and a reasonable price too. I think it's £1 but I either get someone else to buy it for me or am buying a collection of bits for Little but and I so lose track of the cost of tea

You put your own milk in too so no strength issues for the tea which is more than you can say for my climbing.
 wilkie14c 05 Sep 2012
In reply to Kelcat:
someone had to say it!
 wilkie14c 05 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
> (In reply to blanchie14c)
> Is the 14c significant blanchie?
> ps chill man!

14C - no significance in climbing, more like 4C! I was a bit grumpy yesterday, forgot my flask of earl gray before going to the wall
Tea has no place in climbing <other than indoors at a hut, tent etc> You have the milk carrying problem of course if you want fresh brews and if you make a flask then the milk will curdle in it and the tea will taste rank. Ready mixed coffee powders - kenco or nescafe both do 2in1's or 3in1's in1's have sugar> light and fool proof, its the way forward
 stonemaster 05 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Evanrock)
> [...]
You have the milk carrying problem of course if you want fresh brews and if you make a flask then the milk will curdle in it and the tea will taste rank.

You put cow juice in your tea??!!!

Tez339 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock: Might I just point out that that http://www.whitespiderclimbing.com/ has the best and cheapest tea in the south of England!... And the best climbing facility!!
topout123 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Dave Douglas: Awesome Walls: Take a flask. I do.
topout123 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock: Take a flask of tea.
In reply to topout123:
No need, mine's free
 Bimble 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:

£1.40 for a bottle of pop at Wolf too! I also take a flask when it's cold.
In reply to Evanrock:
50p at White Spider, with plenty of different types to choose from. Cake at £1.75 a hit. Most acceptable!
 AlanLittle 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> Andy K practised hard at his local wall before he was ready to have a nice cuppa on a freezing portaledge halfway up the west face of the dru.

... the routes on the west face of the dru get re-set more regularly than some indoor wall routes too.

marvin1987 24 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c: Hear! Hear! Nescafe 3 in 1's are the way forward
 RachelP 25 Sep 2012
Harlow, PG tips, £1.50 for an almost pint sized mug or a quid for a cup.
real, fresh ground coffee £1.50 cup 2.20 for a mug...

but because it never made a profit those up above are closing it.

I think we should all just be greatful that they dont rip us off like those huge national coffee chains do... certainly don't take you wall coffee shop for granted or youll loose it :'(
 Ava Adore 25 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:

The Works has amazing hot chocolate and Illy coffee so I don't need to drink tea there.

I seem to remember the Pinnacle at Northampton had good hot chocolate too but it was a bit of an expensive luxury
 daveyw 25 Sep 2012
In reply to RachelP:
heh?
costa =£2.35 for large coffee- 15pence difference. not exactly a rip-off.

ghosti4 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:
Kilnworx £1
tea, peppermint tea, green tea, summer berries tea, hot choc, chocomilk, coffee, cappuccino, espresso.

What more could you want?
the badger 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Evanrock:

Tea at the new Birmingham Bouldering Centre is 60p for ukc members. speciality teas 90p

http://www.birminghamboulderingcentre.com

Ste Saunders

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...