UKC

5k/10k back to back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gingerdave13 06 Sep 2012
Have found a local race to me towards the end of oct 5k being run at 9.30 and then 10k @ 10.30 both cross country. Was thinking i could probably do both...

seems acheivable non?

been meaning to set a PB for a 5k, but think that'll probably mean a PB for the 10k is out of the window!
 The New NickB 06 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

Do you mean cross country or trail, quite different things. You are not going to run your best in the 10k, but it won't kill you. Last year I did a 5k pb at my local park run in the morning and the National Cross Country Championships in the afternoon, it was fine, but the Cross Country hurt.
 The New NickB 06 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13:

You should have loads of local 5k races, go on the park run website of the fixtures section of your local clubs website.
 Liam M 06 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: It depends upon what you want from your 5k. If you have sufficient endurance 5k can make for a good warm up, but I'd probably want to run it progressively finishing at around 10k pace rather than at full 5k pace.

So if you want a fast 5k time it might not be the best option, and it may be a little too far ahead of the 10k for an ideal warm up, but the two might fit together reasonably. It may to some extent depend upon how soft your 5k pb is and if you'd be happy just breaking it.
 Banned User 77 06 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: You'll be fine.. the 5k would be the ideal warm up.. but do it hard and the 10k will just be additional training.. but you'll have 40? minutes to recover..

You're unlikely to run a pb XC... normally XC routes aren't accurately measured anyway.. this one maybe but club XC races are normally ~10k.. but in reality 9.5-12k...
OP gingerdave13 07 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: The new nickb:
I always think off road is cross country – but I suppose this is trail as it’s on paths.

I don’t actually have a local park run to me, and the timings/weekends and such is that I just don’t have the time for any other events that might be upcoming locally. Plus this has the added benefit of being less than 5 mins away!

IanRUK
I think it’d be a do the 5k hard then 10k as additional training only. I’ve been averaging ~22min for a 5k, but it’s always part of a longer run so I want to see if I can improve on that in a dedicated 5k only. Mind you,, I don’t often get a 10k chance and the last event I did was a bit of a shambles so we ended up missing a turn and doing about 9k. The one I do from home is normally achieved in 50 mins, but I see room for improvement on that too!

Plus the ‘event’ is a truly local, small, school run jobby. So it seems nice to give it a bit of support.
 Liam M 07 Sep 2012
In reply to gingerdave13: Wycombe Rye Parkrun is within about 10miles of the location on your profile, though appreciate 9am on a Saturday isn't ideal for some people.
OP gingerdave13 07 Sep 2012
In reply to Liam M: it's the timing and free weekdn, haven't been at home much this year and when i am have tones of things to be catchin up with!

plus the local one is ley hill - 2miles away!

but thanks for the info, i might try and squeeze some of them in.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...