UKC

Portland Holiday park, camp site and climbing centre planned

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Perrett 08 Sep 2012
Article in local paper about a planned Portland Holiday park, camp site and climbing centre:

www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/

Oceanrower 08 Sep 2012
In reply to Adam Perrett: No mention of anywhere to put up a tent though!
 johnl 09 Sep 2012
In reply to Adam Perrett: Stone Firms, Clotworthy, climbing centre???? They are anti climbers (remember the Coastal Strip campaign). It's probably a backhander to the council so that they can quarry The Cuttings.
 steve taylor 09 Sep 2012
In reply to johnl:

I wouldn't say anti-climbers, more pro-making some money out of the holes they've left behind!
 silhouette 09 Sep 2012
In reply to johnl:
> Stone Firms, Clotworthy, (remember the Coastal Strip campaign).

I've googled this but I don't know what the Coastal strip campaign was; could you enlighten us?
 steve taylor 10 Sep 2012
In reply to silhouette:

Stone Firms registered plans to utilise their ages-old mineral rights on the coastal strip by NeddyFields/Godnor/Cave Hole.

The quarrying would have dug-up that whole stretch of fields over the next xx years. Stone Firms did say that the cliffs wouldn't be affected (though I think we'd have lost Neddyfields bouldering), though locals had doubts that this would be the case. It was also suspected that this was a ruse to force English Nature/Natural England or the National Trust to buy the land and mineral rights off them to prevent quarrying taking place. They were after about £10m iirc.

It's all gone quiet now though... this kicked-off several years ago.

johnl 10 Sep 2012
In reply to steve taylor: Coltworthy and co also had a go at climbers through these very pages.
 steve taylor 10 Sep 2012
In reply to johnl:

True, but that was before he was going to make any sort of income from them
 nealh 12 Sep 2012
In reply to steve taylor: Hi Steve I met the lady and chap from stone firms behind this project at the quay on Saturday. The climbing facility was only a small part of their plan for the site which is very ambitious if it had been just climbing I would have advised not to proceed but as part of their overall plan it could well work especially as they were looking to include something along the lines of clip and climb.

Not sure of their timescale or whether they have the financial backing they would need, but with the changes at Southwell some of the facilities they are looking to provide it could be good for the island, and a good use of a dirty great hole in the ground. If you want to know more speak to mick Cooke as he has done some work for them.

Neal
 steve taylor 12 Sep 2012
In reply to nealh:

Hi Neal - Mick rang me earlier in the week to tell me about it... Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...