UKC

Travelling from Canada. Peak District Info?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RedPin 09 Sep 2012
Hello UKC, gonna travel in Europe for a bit, landing in England. Peak seems like a pretty good place to start.

Accommodation. In terms of hostels, does anyone have a good recommendation for a cheap stay?

Also, I'm alone, so are there any groups or clubs that I can meet up with?

Want to avoid hiring a car, so what's the best place to stay in terms of being near either good climbs, or near other climbers I could possibly thumb a ride with?

Thanks.
 Jonny2vests 09 Sep 2012
In reply to RedPin:

Hathersage would be a good place to aim for, especially if you're not hiring a car. Lots of major Gritstone Edges nearby, with Stanage being the closest, but you wouldn't want to walk up that hill every day so hitching is a good idea.

No 'hostels' that I know of, but probably bunkhouses, someone else might be able to help you there. There are B&Bs in Hathersage, that won't be a cheap option (£40 pn?). I guess you're not interested in camping.

Another option might be to see if some kind soul in Sheffield might put you up... you might get transport thrown in occasionally, otherwise the train is good and cheap. I'd have put you up, but I live in Canada now, lol!
 jumpingjimminy 09 Sep 2012
In reply to jonny2vests: there's a Youth Hostel in Hathersage;
http://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/hathersage
 Matt Maynard 09 Sep 2012
In reply to RedPin:
Hi Redpin,
Maybe if you give some information about your climbing experience and what you would like to do on your trip such as the crags you have heard of and would like to visit etc, I reckon its likely that someone will want to climb with you and you can get hooked up.
Have fun!
 Matt Maynard 09 Sep 2012
In reply to Matt Maynard: Maybe even a place to stay...We are alright us Brits.
OP RedPin 09 Sep 2012
In reply to jumpingjimminy: Perfect, that looks brilliant, I'm checking it out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...