UKC

Fractured L5 vertebra - who's been there?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
After 18 months of back pain I've recently been diagnosed with a stress fracture in L5 (Spondylolysis). Anyone else here been through that here & come out smiling (& climbing)? What did you do if so?

A Cortisone injection has come & gone with no real improvement. Next step could be an operation to screw things back together - anyone here had that? - did it work?

Written in Outside Caff whilst everyone else is off climbing, dammit!
In reply to Different Steve:
Bump
 Rick Graham 11 Sep 2012
Hi Steve
age 29, groundfall in Cheddar Gorge, 50% compression in L3. Week in hospital, 3 months off work and climbing, climbing E4/E5 again in another 6 months.
I know several climbers who have fractured vertibra, none have given up climbing ( bar one who was paralysed). All backs are different but my theory is that climbing and the body tension produced is good for relieving back pain.

Hope this helps and you get on the rock as soon as you feel up to it.
gerainte 11 Sep 2012
fusion op L5 to S1, think that's right. No metal work, but a nice corset and 6-12 months of no climbing lots of swimming instead. Pretty big job really. Some pain now and again but got back to climbing.
 Bonham18 11 Sep 2012
I fractured (compression fractures) 8 vertebrae, spread from C7 to L5, last April. After 3 months in a brace I was initially told I wouldn't be able to try gentle top roping for another 6 months. After 2 months I managed to start bouldering again and by 7 months my back was basically back up to full strength. Just keep with the physio work, you'll be able to start swimming fairly early on and maintain a routine of doing all the correct back exercises. I was lucky with the speed of my recovery but just go by feel and listen to your doctor.
My back didn't require surgery so I can't comment on your specific circumstances. My back still gives me small amounts of pain but it is certainly manageable and does not detract from my climbing.
 Ciro 11 Sep 2012

Compressed fracture of three vertebrae as a teenager (tree climbing fail). Two or three months in a corset, think I was pretty much back to normal after about six. Various problems with discs and stuff over the years hence, but got properly into climbing training after the last disc problem and been all good since - second the notion that climbing builds up the muscles that hold the back aligned, and so helps keep problems at bay. I do think it's worth cross training with swimming to help avoid climber's stoop though.
In reply to Different Steve: Slightly different but I had a groundfall last September and fractured my T10 and T11 vertebrae (I think, too many painkillers to remember properly!). Needed immediate surgery to bolt it all back together but was back to climbing after 3 months with no need for physio. Still aches every now and then but nothing unmanageable.

Stu.
 pyro2312 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Different Steve: I'm currently recovering from a fusion op T11-L3 after fracturing L1 by falling 20 feet. Its pretty serious op, its been 7 weeks and I still spend a lot of time lying down. Surgeon said full recovery will take at least a year. I'm looking to start climbing again this time next year.
 gingerdave13 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Different Steve: fractured L3+4 transvers process plus compressed disc between 4+5. Took 4 months in a brace, 5 months off work, 9 months of physio. Plus some lovely strong drugs..

After 1 yr i was 'normal' i.e not climbing and could got to work without issues (apart from a new chair)
After 2 yrs i felt like i was back on track and had done some climbing
After 3 yrs i'm fitter than i ever was before (concerted effort to do LOTS more stuff - mainly running). Have been back to the alps and did 3x4000m+ peaks in a week!
 panz 12 Sep 2012
With my compressed by one third number 7 in the chest
I prefer firm ski poles, spread weight to the belt, swim,
pull up with a load, I do not recommend running.
Please try not strike twice the same bone.
45 years after an accident in summer season 2010
as IML I guided a group of 7 to 5 summits a week at alt 4200-4600 m.
 dutybooty 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Different Steve: I fractured L1-L5 in a groundfall, along with pelvis and a few other bits and bobs.

No steel work, no injections. I spent 4-5 weeks in hospital with no movement whatsoever being strictly enforced.

Took me nearly a year to get my head together for climbing again, but the whole time doing physical work.

4 years on I'm still doing physical work day in day out, climbing on a regular basis and off to the Alps soon! Recently had a few problems with it for the first time but speaking to doctors they've recommended NOT resting it as apparently this can make it worse (once its better, not whilst its getting better).

Hope you're better soon!
jackcarr 12 Sep 2012

L1-4 and a broken ankle in a 50ft ground fall. Three months off work, with another one month part time. Everyone is different but it took me over a year to really feel the same again, probably partly because I was told walking would be good for my spine, but obviously with a broken ankle that wasn't happening so all my time off work was practically bed bound wasting away.

Lots of things in my life have taken hits, still have a weakness in my ankle so stopped playing football and cricket which I did religiously. I assume you didn't do yours in a fall? The fall really mentally affected me, and gave me a terrible fear of heights, to the point that my heart would be racing walking up stairs. It's not as bad now, but I don't think I'll climb that seriously again. It was over two years ago and I haven't been back in the mountains since.
In reply to jackcarr:
Cheers all, that's a pretty strong collection of damaged backs back in action. All sound far worse than my feeble little stress fracture, backs are pretty resilient it seems!
 Bonzkars 15 Sep 2012

after reading this thread I can safely say I'll be sticking to sport and bouldering..
 CM 15 Sep 2012
In reply to Different Steve: This is probably obviously but your situatie is totally different to other posts. You have a long term stress related fracture Where other have given egs of acute injuries. Lots of cricketers have your problem. Its normally related to high loads in a twisted position like in fast bowlers.

Not sure of yours but normally its stop activity until pain free gradually increase and physio. Op is option especially if its sliding forward on other vertebra.

Normally mends tho.

Good luck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...