UKC

Quasar broken pole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 10 Sep 2012
Quite a new replacement pole broke last week whilst camping. Is this still a problem for others? It seems relentless to me. Conditions were good, sleeve was properly in, it was on the most relaxed setting.
 lost1977 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919:

had my quasar for about 10 years and never had any problems even up on Aconcagua. some people seem to repeatedly have problems with the poles whilst others have none
 TheGeneralist 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919:
Yep, I went through a few sets of Quasar poles. I think I got some free but the last lot cost £136 which p1$$ed me right off.
In the end I sent the tent back to see if it was made too small. They claimed there was nothing wrong with it.

So I just stopped using it in the end and got a Bibler instead.
 MG 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919: Yes, it is a well known design flaw in the tents. Search previous threads. Cheaper to buy a new tent of another brand than persevere at £60+ a pole IMO.
 TheGeneralist 10 Sep 2012
In reply to MG:

I ought to put a bit more info. The problem with my tent wasn't high winds or problems when it was up, the problem was getting the poles in in the first place. They were just soo tight that they needed a huge amount of force to get them in the holes. And every now and again they snapped.

infuriating.

Especially as they said there was nothing wrong with it when I returned it. Doubt they even tried to set it up to be honest.
 MG 10 Sep 2012
In reply to TheGeneralist: Very similar to my experience and many others. Also poles broke in minimal/zero wind just through thermal expansion. And again, no acknowledgement of the problem but a suggestion I was putting the poles together wrong (strange I manage all other tent poles fine). For £400+ I expect a) a good design and materials and b) decent customer service if things go wrong.
 maria85 10 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919: I think I broke around 7 or 8 poles in 8 years of using the tent - not too regular use either. Some replaced under warranty, others I paid for - the last 2 I decided it wasn't worth it anymore (tent was dying also - very UV damaged, zips broken, some holes in fly) and got rid. Won't buy another.
OP Phil1919 11 Sep 2012
In reply to maria85: Thanks all for that. Annoying for such a seemingly well designed and useful tent.
 CurlyStevo 11 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919:
Had my ultra quasar about 7 years - so far no broken poles.
OP Phil1919 11 Sep 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Its strange that.
 DNS 11 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919:

I got one of the Directors' home address details from Companies House and sent the broken pole to him direct. It was replaced straight away. I haven't come across a reference to broken poles in some time so I thought it was a bad batch
 CurlyStevo 12 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil1919:
Aye on the longer poles I pitch mine on the least relaxed setting inner and outer as well, the red shorter poles I always pitch on the most relaxed setting, this I find helps to stop the inner touching the outer (that and pulling the corner poles outwards a bit after pegging.)
OP Phil1919 12 Sep 2012
In reply to CurlyStevo: Same here. In fact Terra Nova have given me another eyelet so that the setting is even more relaxed.
 Timmd 12 Sep 2012
In reply to DNS:
> (In reply to Clint86)
>
> I got one of the Directors' home address details from Companies House and sent the broken pole to him direct. It was replaced straight away. I haven't come across a reference to broken poles in some time so I thought it was a bad batch

I like your style. ()

I've had my tent since approx 2000 or a couple years later and havn't had any pole problems at all.
OP Phil1919 12 Sep 2012
In reply to DNS: Yep, as we've now got a Hilleberg and don't use the quasar so much I was thinking of not bothering sending it back, but I'll make the effort in the next few days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...