UKC

Compeed advertisement

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlanLittle 13 Sep 2012
Just in case I'm not the last person in the world to have heard of / tried the stuff:

I missed the last lift down from an Alpine ridge traverse on Sunday (Blassengrat: *superb* route, get on it) and had to hike down 2,000 metres. And, being late / tired / foolish / in a hurry, I didn't bother to either put on the spare pair of clean socks I had carefully brought along or slacken my approach shoes laces off from climbing mode to walking mode. Result: a large blister on the ball of my right foot.

I bought a pack of Compeed a few weeks ago because my son was having foot trouble. I've never used it before but I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a go. So: drained the blister with a sterilised needle, slapped a Compeed over it and, as recommended, left the Compeed on until it fell off of its own accord. The first day it was still a little sore, the second day absolutely fine, third day the Compeed fell off and everything underneath is almost as good as new. Looks like I may not even lose the outer layer of skin.

This is by far the least trouble I have ever had fixing a major blister. Highly recommended.
 gingerdave13 13 Sep 2012
In reply to AlanLittle: been using them on-off for quite a while am still amazed by the number of people in the mountaineering/climbing world who haven't heard of them!
 Jenny C 13 Sep 2012
In reply to AlanLittle: IME they ruck up and glue themselves to the sock so and need re-applying on a daily basis. They also don't seem to be water resistant so even if they survive the sock removal, they fall/peel off in the shower afterwards.

On the plus side though, yes they are certainly easier to apply and give better protection than conventional plasters. Well worth carrying, but IMO not the "miracle cure" that some people claim.
 The Iain 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Jenny C:
> (In reply to AlanLittle) IME they ruck up and glue themselves to the sock so and need re-applying on a daily basis. They also don't seem to be water resistant so even if they survive the sock removal, they fall/peel off in the shower afterwards.
>
> On the plus side though, yes they are certainly easier to apply and give better protection than conventional plasters. Well worth carrying, but IMO not the "miracle cure" that some people claim.

I have found covering them with Duct/Zinc oxide tape works well to deal with these issues. It does mean you don't have the "when they fall off" plan, but I tend to just leave them a few days and have a look.
 Jenny C 13 Sep 2012
In reply to The Iain: Good idea
MaxWilliam 13 Sep 2012
In reply to AlanLittle:

Agree Compeed is very good but is quite expensive. I just thought I'd I point out an alternative. Duoderm sheets which is available over the counter and can be cut to size. Useful for wound dressing or preventing rubs and I believe it is meant to promote healing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...