UKC

Climbing in Bastion?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Desert gal 13 Sep 2012
I'm in Bastion 1, does anyone know of any walls in Letherhead or other areas of CB or even anything I can get away with bouldering before I loose all my climbing muscles? Going slightly crazy and the gym doesnt satisfy in quite the same way. As the internet's patchy watching climbing on UKC isn't really an option.

Thanks,
FB
 rotax123 13 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:
Apparently not, I asked My bro-in-law who was there this year.
He doesn't climb though so maybe he wouldn't know about one.
I'd say build a training room! Can you order rock rings or other training aids?
max
 Feeling bold 14 Sep 2012
In reply to rotax123:

Thinking about climbing the wire on the blast walls...not sure about rock rings are they not just to keep your finger strength? Basically missing the movement of climbing.

Thanx for your reply.
 SteveHolmes 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:
I am up North in Kabul where I spend my time traversing the T-Walls. Get a hammer and create a few small features then wire brush the concrete to make it smooth(er). Use the T-wall joins to climb the parallel cracks too. Use a set of ladders/stairs or IDF shelter to create a roof to include in your circuit.
Not ideal and you will have to clear it with whoever is in charge but it has worked for me.....

Best of Luck!
S
 Feeling bold 16 Sep 2012
In reply to commandoclimber:

Will try adding some features as you've suggested....not much time for anything last few days other than turtle impressions!

I visit Kabul quite a lot but I'm not cleared to leave airhead ( Met a bandsman on a flight there who invited me to Aramo where he says there's some climbing. It' beautiful up that way (from above)....oh well
 john159 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal: Speak to the Pedros.
 Ben Watts 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

Let me know if you find anything - heading out there next year!
 Nellie 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:
I take it you mean Leatherneck, Leatherhead is KBR head office, not seen one in the yank camp.
I've used a couple of walls out in Afghan, the RM's had a cracking bouldering wall in Sangin, there is one in Lash and Gereshk has a great old stone wall for traversing. Nosey around, lads will build them in the gaps between the pod accommodation. I've also seen 'walls' made with holds attached to HESCO. There used to be a small bouldering wall in the Engineers accommodation in B1 (behind the parade square).
Speak to the engineers, a case of red bull goes a long way, they'll build you one.
Desert gal 18 Sep 2012
In reply to john159:
> (In reply to Desert gal) Speak to the Pedros.

What can they do for me?

Desert gal 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Nellie:

Unfortunately I don't  get to visit other bases, only airheads. I may get a stopover in Kandahar occasionally if you know of anything there?

Donned climbing boots last night and tried  bouldering the blast walls ...it's not good on the toes.  Jamming stones behind the wire added more interest for a bit of traversing but these walls only 4ft high.

Will check out REME tomorrow...thanx for that
Lukas V-L 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

I know there was a Campus Board at the entrance to where the Engineers were living at the end of Herrick 13, I reckon it'd still be there. I heard the Danish drilled a bunch of holes in an ISO and put holds all over it, but I get the feeling that was in a PB.
Removed User 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

I like this thread.
 a crap climber 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:
Any chance there's anything in PB Attal? going there in a few weeks and not looking forward to 6 months with just rock rings, tried it before and gave up due to boredom.
Phil Payne 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

From the replies on this thread it looks like someone needs to setup a climbing holds fund to send out to the troops so that they can build a decent training wall.

When I was in the mob and in Basra I just used to improvise and never really found anything nearly as satisfying as a proper bouldering wall. Climbing up the underside of stairs was about as exciting as it got.
 abr1966 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne: It was done in a manner a while ago....I'm sure it went to the bootnecks in sangin but i could be mistaken..
In reply to Desert gal:
Get some prisoners of war to build you a climbing wall.
Desert gal 19 Sep 2012
In reply to I like climbing:

Don't think they would make a good job of it especially when wearing blackout goggles!
Desert gal 19 Sep 2012
In reply to Phil Payne:

It's difficult to know how many other climbers are here to warrant it.

I've met a boulderer but she never chats about it or hankers after it, so not one of the obsessive types then. I've also met a Danish ice climber. He's been climbing his blast walls in Kandahar..his tour is over shortly and the first thing he's doing is going ice climbing in Greenland.

But it's a nice idea.
 Nellie 20 Sep 2012
In reply to a crap climber:
Nothing in Attal i'm afraid, I was there for a couple days last year. Word of warning though, bring plenty warm kit. It is proper cold out in these wee PB's over winter.
Desert gal 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Lukas V-L:
> (In reply to Desert gal)
>
> I know there was a Campus Board at the entrance to where the Engineers were living at the end of Herrick 13, I reckon it'd still be there.

Checked out the engineers today...guy said yes it was right outside his ops room...had been there 2 years ago but now taken down!.

Had a nose around other engineer camps but no one knew of any bouldering areas. Drawn a blank there
Lukas V-L 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

Hah, bastard. You could always try climbing up the radio tower at night? (One of our guys may or may not have Base jumped off it. Twice...).
AWR 21 Sep 2012
Why not try and engage with whoever holds the strings to the Operational Welfare Fund or indeed whoever runs the Gym (has BSU got a QMSI with access to funds for new exercise machines?) and see if you can somehow procure one of these...

http://www.freedomclimber.co.uk/

Or this

http://www.veqtor.co.uk/1/1/p154/Continuous_Vertical_Climbs.html

I'm sure they'll have money somewhere to buy new equipment for the gym - and this is better than another f*cking running machine! You'll just have to spin the 'one page business case' right!

Let us know how you get on!
Desert gal 23 Sep 2012
In reply to MountainsAreBetterThanOffices:

I like the look of the bouldering wall where you can easily change the holds. Ok, I'll ask and if it's mobile it's relocatable. Meanwhile, I think I'm use a visit to the pedros...fingers crossed.
AWR 25 Sep 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

Relocated, eh?
 a crap climber 25 Sep 2012
In reply to Nellie:
So I hear. Two softie jackets and a montane extreme smock should be enough, I hope
Desert gal 30 Sep 2012
In reply to john159:
> (In reply to Desert gal) Speak to the Pedros.

Good news...did the pedro run last night and saw the top end of a climbing wall over the tent tops.

Pedro guys said come down anytime...all I need now is some free time )))))
Lukas V-L 30 Sep 2012
In reply to a crap climber:
> (In reply to Nellie)
> So I hear. Two softie jackets and a montane extreme smock should be enough, I hope

Youre going to want more than that if youre going to be stagging on on any compound roofs etc. Softie trousers, thermals, windproof trousers, shemagh, arctic gloves. Also hot water bottles are for winners when youre back at the PB.
 Nellie 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Lukas V-L:
> (In reply to a crap climber)
> [...]
>
>
> Youre going to want more than that if youre going to be stagging on on any compound roofs etc. Softie trousers, thermals, windproof trousers, shemagh, arctic gloves. Also hot water bottles are for winners when youre back at the PB.

Haha, Hot water bottles ARE for winners!!! I was laughing at everybody that had them then quickly realised and got a couple sent out sharpish.
Ditto windproofs, shemagh and very good gloves.

Desert gal 08 Oct 2012
In reply to Desert gal:

I found the Pedro covered bouldering wall...got pics but can't seem to load photos from my IPAD to UKC.

All routes were mega hard..only a few routes so i altered one if the routes which was quite satisfying in itself. All the easy holds seem to be on the ceiling!
 john159 09 Oct 2012
In reply to Desert gal: Glad it's still there, probably will be too cold soon though!
Desert gal 10 Oct 2012
In reply to john159:

I would only go there in the daytime and current temps still ok, as early 30's. It is dropping though slowly...

Fancy having a go at my route?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...