UKC

Knee Supports - Accapi versus others

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jamie B 14 Sep 2012
Both my knees are now officially shot with early-onset arthiritis, but I'm continuing to climb with a regime of physio, cycling and tactical rest. My Accapi knee-support definitely gives me some relief but has a habit of slipping down. What are user's opinions on the neoprene or similar-type supports which tighten to secure above and below the knee?

I've always had good results from Accapi, but wonder if their kit is sufficiently "engineered" to take much of the strain. Or indeed is it healthy to rely on a support?
 3leggeddog 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Jamie Bankhead:

Without getting into a rant about the pseudoscience behind accapi.

Think carefully about "supports", your knee carries body weight + all the stresses the largest muscles in your body create. Will a piece of rubber/elastic really make much difference? Unless you are using one of theose articulated "bionic man" type supports, all you are doing is tying a knot in your hanky to remind you to go easy on that joint. Whilst this is not invalid, you can save a lot of money by buying some tubigrip.
cb294 14 Sep 2012

I would recommend something more robust, which can be adjusted to guide your movement more precisely, e.g.

http://webshop.rucanor.com/neoprene-bandages/27132-patello-plus-ii.html

This thing allowed me to continue with high level competitive judo with an unoperated ACL rupture, and I still wear it when playing football or skiing.

The standard all neopren bandages only give a psychological advantage. Even tape would be much better,

CB
 Simon Caldwell 14 Sep 2012
Much better to strengthen the muscles and let them take the strain.
Having said that, I've used a neoprene support, and it does help; but for anything more than a short walk, they start to rub behind the knee after a while. I find a simple tubigrip to be better.
 Tall Clare 14 Sep 2012

I found that all that happened with a neoprene support was that I got a sweaty knee.
 duncan 14 Sep 2012
In reply to everyone:

Wearing a knee support - even a simple tubigrip - probably improves proprioception (joint position sense) whilst it is being worn. This is theoretically beneficial. Many people make confident statements about becoming dependent on supports but I'm not aware of any actual evidence regarding the long term positive or negative (deterioration in muscle function) effects of wearing a support in people with OA or other knee problems.

Sounds like Jamie is doing all the right things. Strong, quick-reacting thigh muscles and well-trained balance are essential for anyone with knee OA. I'd be pragmatic about using a support. Finding one that fitted properly would be a good start.

What happened to the promised UKC review of Accapi Nexus products from Craig Smith and others?
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=380569&v=1#x5507024

I'm guessing Dr Smith thought the claims surrounding the product were pseudoscience marketing bullsh!t but UKC were too timid to post this. Let's not offend the precious advertisers eh!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...