UKC

Test driving cars - how long can you get away with?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Parrys_apprentice 14 Sep 2012
Today I dropped into a car dealer to collect some paperwork.

While he fished it out, the chap asked me to take a seat, so I naturally opened the door and sat down in the lovely Mazda MX5 cabrio to wait.

On the sign it said that a test drive only cost £12 for the insurance. Got me thinking.

How long could I go for a test drive?

Would I get away with testing it all day taking the missus out for a day in the Peak?

Anyone managed an ultra-test?

Tall Clare 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Parrys_apprentice:

I believe quite a few garages allow a 24 hour test.
 LastBoyScout 14 Sep 2012

Beware mileage limitations in the small print...
 nniff 14 Sep 2012

Someone very wealthy of my acquaintance had a new and very expensive Mercedes coupe on order. It missed its delivery date. As he was a very good customer, when he complained that he was due to take his girlfriend away for a long weekend, they lent him a similarly expensive model. He drove to Sweden and back. They weren't too pleased, but smiled through gritted teeth.
 gingerdave13 14 Sep 2012
In reply to nniff: HAH,, excellent! but then your mate did have to buy a mercedes for this pleasure.

> How long could I go for a test drive?
As long as you want with their and the insurance company agreement. Usually not a problem for 24 hrs.
>
> Would I get away with testing it all day taking the missus out for a day in the Peak?
Possibly, but may have mileage and or other restrictions on insurance. Once I had arrange to get one, but could not take it on the day due to an insurance restriction problem. Ask and see what they say - the keener they are to sell ....!
>
> Anyone managed an ultra-test?
Sufficient test for me - twice had cars for over five hours and once for 24 hrs with agreement. Latter was on my insurance though I think.

richyfenn 14 Sep 2012

When I was 16 my mate turned up at my house one day saying he had just test driven a car. He had just been idly looking at the cars on a forecourt and was asked by a salesman if he wanted to test drive the car he was looking at. Being 16 he didn't have a licence but the salesman let him off that. So you could possibly get away with a lot, but my friend was a renowned bullshitter so I doubt you'd actually get away with anything like that.
 ThunderCat 14 Sep 2012
In reply to richyfenn:
> (In reply to Parrys_apprentice)
>
> Being 16 he didn't have a licence but the salesman let him off that. So you could possibly get away with a lot, but my friend was a renowned bullshitter so I doubt you'd actually get away with anything like that.

Yup, I think your friend is definately a bullshitter...

Cuthbert 14 Sep 2012
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to Parrys_apprentice)
>
> Someone very wealthy of my acquaintance had a new and very expensive Mercedes coupe on order. It missed its delivery date. As he was a very good customer, when he complained that he was due to take his girlfriend away for a long weekend, they lent him a similarly expensive model. He drove to Sweden and back. They weren't too pleased, but smiled through gritted teeth.

Thats 1190km each way by the fastest route not including ferries presuming your friend lives in Dover and was going to Malmo. He must like motorways your friend.
 Indy 14 Sep 2012

Not sure if it was a special but I'm almost certain that Volvo were doing a weekend test drive when we last enquired. Never got far enough to find out about any restriction i.e. insurance, milage limits whatever.

Not sure I'd be too happy at paying for insurance on a test drive... what next petrol????
 Lurking Dave 14 Sep 2012
> lovely Mazda MX5 cabrio

WTF???
 Indy 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Lurking Dave:
hey theres nothing wrong with be a male hair dresser
 Lurking Dave 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Indy: You are right, I should be more inclusive in my thinking, a mazda is just lovely. To be clear for someone else. but eugh.

LD
 nniff 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to nniff)
> [...]

He must like motorways your friend.

Indeed - confirmed petrol head. They stopped in nice places along the way
TOS 14 Sep 2012
In reply to Saor Alba:
> (In reply to nniff)
> [...]
>
> He must like going flat out on unrestricted Autobahn your friend.

There, fixed that for you

Trangia 14 Sep 2012

In the 1990s I had a Porsche 911 (which I had no intention of buying) from a main dealer for 24 hours. Took it down to the West Country and called in for tea with my ex wife, who then wanted to increase the maintenance I was paying......
Parrys_apprentice 14 Sep 2012
I guess at some point I need to do a convincing impression of someone who might actually want to buy it.
 3leggeddog 14 Sep 2012

A good few years ago Saab did a 48hr test drive. Some friends did the cuillin ridge one weekend and the old man of hoy the following. They didn't dare walk past the garages for quite some time!
 Mikkel 14 Sep 2012

old school friend of mine back in Denmark managed 3 days.
He returned it when police came and found him because the dealer reported it stolen.
He got away with it because they had not told him for how long he could test it.
 alasdair19 16 Sep 2012
In reply to Parrys_apprentice: my brother had a 48 hour test of a TT wife was about to get new company car. I'm sure they didn't tell outright fibs, they changed from an A3 to a mondeo and she may even have been obviously pregnant at the time!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...