UKC

The BMC guide book teams lack of respect for Mersyside revealed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gd303uk 17 Sep 2012
Shocking image revealed in the link below, of the BMC showing a complete lack of respect for Mersyside!!!
The BMC have pulled the stops out, and let themselves down, they should hang their heads in shame for allowing this image on their website promoting the New and supposedly very good, Cheshire and Merseyside Sandstone guide book.
My other concern is, why isn't it, the "Merseyside" and Cheshire Sandstone guide book, is this yet another example of the BMC''s elitist attitude? By putting the well to do district of posh flatlanders before the significantly more important region of Mersyside in the title BMC you have disappointed me very much, I am outraged!
Well done everybody involved
Thank you.

http://www.bmcshop.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=327_209&products_id=660...

Outraged from Wallasey
G

nickprior 17 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
> Outraged from Wallasey
> G
That's Wallasey, Cheshire isn't it?
 Calder 17 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:

I do hope they've not scrapped the stinking turd symbol from the old guide - it was essential for warning you off most of the routes in the area.

Offwidth 17 Sep 2012
In reply to telemark:

I think (or hope) you missed the joke.
mountain monster 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Offwidth:
What joke? Wallasey is in Merseyside.
 mark hounslea 17 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
I'm the editor of this guide.
The image on the BMC website is of a pre-proof read version.
The decision on what to call the guide was mine. As there are only two Merseyside crags (Pex and the Breck) in the guide and there are more crags in the Cheshire section (Helsby, Frodsham, Frogsmouth, Harmers) I went with that emphasis.
Now stop moaning or I'll set Big Ewan on to you!
 Pekkie 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Calder:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
>
> 'I do hope they've not scrapped the stinking turd symbol from the old guide - it was essential for warning you off most of the routes in the area.'

I note that your favourite place to climb is the Lancashire quarries and your favourite rock is quarried grit. Case rested.

Pekkie 17 Sep 2012
In reply to mark hounslea:
> (In reply to gd303uk)
> > 'Now stop moaning or I'll set Big Ewan on to you!'

That's hardly necessary, Mark. The poor lad can't even spell 'Merseyside'(neither can you if the cover in the link is anything to go by).

John H Bull 17 Sep 2012
Twenty notes? Crikey. Has it got Alderley Edge, Beeston, and that little crag on the right you can see from the road as just past the Hungry Horse towards Tarporley in it? Buildering on Macclesfield railway & canal bridges? Chester racecourse bridge?
 Mike Nolan 17 Sep 2012
In reply to mark hounslea: So no Irby Quarry?
 Pekkie 17 Sep 2012
>
> 'Now stop moaning or I'll set Big Ewan on to you!'

I hope the guide will include a 'Big Ewan anecdotes' section to go with the Phil Davidson essay on the glory days of Pex. Here's my favourite:

One of Ewan's mates gets a phone call one evening from Ewan's mobile:
'Help! I was on a run in Sefton Park and I've just been jumped by a gang of scallies!' His mate jumps in his car and finds Ewan sitting on a wall covered in blood. He takes him back to his flat and cleans him off only to discover that there isn't a scratch on him. It is all other peoples' blood. 'How many of them were there?' asks his mate. 'I dunno. Six?' 'So what happened to them?' 'Oh they'll be OK. I put them all in the recovery position.'

This story just goes to show that in this world of cynicism, cruelty and violence there is a place for common human decency.

birdie num num 17 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
You should nick a car and some Hagloffs gear one day and get yourself out to some of the posh Cheshire crags. Num Num clembs on them all the teme don't you know
 Offwidth 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Pekkie: I thought that typo was the whole point.. maybe I got a joke that didn't exist.
OP gd303uk 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Pekkie: Hi Pekkie would you and Big Ewan be interested in making a contribution to the Pex hill bolt fund?

hi Mark
I am looking forward to getting The Cheshire and Merseyside sandstone guide, from what I have seen it looks brilliant, all my local venues comprehensively covered, it looks like a lot of good work went into making this eagerly awaited guide book.

But it will always be know to me as, the Merseyide sandstone guide

Mike, it does have Irby in it.

Calder 18 Sep 2012
In reply to Pekkie:
> (In reply to Calder)
> [...]
>
> I note that your favourite place to climb is the Lancashire quarries and your favourite rock is quarried grit. Case rested.

Well, you have to have that sort of blind affection for your local crags don't you. It stops me doing anything silly, like moving to Sheffield or Llanberis!
 Pekkie 20 Sep 2012
In reply to gd303uk:
> (In reply to Pekkie)

> 'But it will always be know to me as, the Merseyide sandstone guide'
>
> The 1976 guide by Alan Rouse was called 'Helsby and the Wirral' even though it included Pex Hill! Pete Chadwick's 1998 guide was called 'Sandstone Climbing in Cheshire and Merseyside'. True the crags are an important resource for Merseyside climbers but let's not forget that Helsby, which is clearly in Cheshire, is equally clearly the most important crag in the guide.
 Darrengold 13 Oct 2012
In reply to mountain monster:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
> What joke? Wallasey is in Merseyside.

Exactly!
 Al Evans 14 Oct 2012
In reply to Darrengold: It is rumoured tha Paul Simon was waiting for this guide to come out as he wrote 'Homeward Bound' sitting in the railway station at Widnes.
 Darrengold 14 Oct 2012
In reply to gd303uk: Looking forward to grabbing this. I've been waiting for it for a long time and been out most of the year with knee & elbow injuries!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...