UKC

Harrison’s Rocks and the Sandstone Volunteers Group

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Moulton 19 Sep 2012
The annual Sandstone Volunteers’ Group meeting takes place in the bar at Bowles Rocks on Sunday 30th September 2012 at 6:30pm for 7pm. Food is provided by the BMC - buy your own drinks.

Harrison’s Rocks is about to undergo a period of intensive work to manage the tree cover on the lower slopes which over the years has increased to such a point that the crag condition is suffering. The canopy has thickened to the point where in places, sunlight and air movement – essential to keep the crag dry - are severely restricted. We also plan to repair/replace many of the revetments below the crag by using the wood from the felled trees to slow down the relentless wear by footfall and weathering.

A woodland management plan, agreed by the Forestry Commission, to reduce the canopy in phases over 10 years and remove non-indigenous species is about to start this winter. The cutting will be done by professionals but we need volunteers to help us with the many other aspects of the work.

Work is also planned this winter at Stone Farm, High and Bull’s Hollow Rocks.
Sarah Cullen 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Bob Moulton:

Join in with other like-minded climbers and help with the work. There are no special skills needed as the cutting will be done by professionals within the group but there will be plenty of scrub cutting, fence building, footpath maintenance, revetment building and movement of the cuttings to more suitable places to be done.

The Sandstone Volunteers’ Group - a loose knit group of climbers with successful projects at all the major outcrops, was formed in 2003 by climbers who, like now, saw a need for action and you, as a user of Harrison’s can help.

The SVG is organised through a mailing list. To join, please send an email to Graham - adcock@clara.net and he'll add you to the list. The list is used solely for communication with the group and is not used for any other purpose.

The annual Sandstone Volunteers’ Group meeting takes place in the bar at Bowles Rocks on Sunday 30th September 2012 at 6:30pm for 7pm. As usual, the BMC will provide us with some food – and your mates will no doubt buy you a drink!
 Graham Ad 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Bob Moulton:

To carry out the much needed work at Harrison's, we'll need a good number of volunteers to ensure the work is shared our and that the usual suspects (whom I'm sure will attend the work days anyway) don't have to do it all.

Harrison's is one on the more popular crags in the UK - a walk along the crag on a summer weekend will confirm that so there are potentially plenty of climbers to help.

If you climb at Harrison's please sign up for the SVG and do your bit to help us restore the crag and improve the climbing conditions that will affect climbers for many years to come.

The work will consist of scrub cutting, moving the arisings from the tree cutting to the crag base where they can be used to build revetments and barrier, building the revetments and repairing footpaths and removing vegetation from climbs.

Sarah gave my email in the earlier post - please sign up via that or via my ukclimbing profile.

Thanks,
Graham.
 Robin Mazinke 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Graham Ad:
Hi Graham,

Away this weekend so can't make the meeting, but will be around for one or more work parties this winter.

Hope we get lots of volunteers signing up for this winter's projects.

Cheers, Robin
 Al Evans 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Bob Moulton: Sounds like a good plan Bob, wish somebody would do the same for Bell Hagg outside Sheffield, the trees have ruined the climbing for several years now.
 Graham Ad 28 Sep 2012
In reply to Bob Moulton:

Thanks to Emily, Scott and Phil - three climbers who've signed up to help. If there's anyone else who can lend a hand with the work, please don't be shy

Thanks,
Graham.
In reply to Bob Moulton:
I don't think I'll be at the meeting on Sunday but am more than happy to come along to help out with the work. I don't have any suitable tools to bring along, but this didn't seem to be a problem last few times.

Richard (already on the mailing list)
OP Bob Moulton 28 Sep 2012
In reply to richard_hopkins: As you say, usually there are enough tools bought by other people to go round. Depending on the work involved we will tell people in Graham's emails what tools will be most useful for those who have them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...