UKC

climbing strength

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 19 Sep 2012
For over the winter months is bouldering the best way of increasing strength?

What are people's thoughts on fingerboards?

What are the best websites / books for indoor training techniques?
 Keendan 20 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> For over the winter months is bouldering the best way of increasing strength?
>
Yes, up to quite a high level.

> What are people's thoughts on fingerboards?
>
Bouldering is probably more useful, but "supplementary" fingerboarding (for when you can't climb) will make you stronger. Injury is a big risk, so you just have to be very careful.

> What are the best websites / books for indoor training techniques?

Dave Macleod's website and book are great. The Beastmaker website is popular.
 stonemaster 20 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: Not sure about increasing strength. Hard enough just to maintain it what with Chrimble and Hogmanay, etc. Eek, just mentioned the C word and it's only September. One is in need of flogging.
 RobertHepburn 20 Sep 2012
I think bouldering is very good for increasing strength and working on technique. I have used a fingerboard and found it useful, but by god they are dull, which means it is hard to keep going long enough.

+1 for Dave Macleod's book - thought it was excellent, but you need to put some work in to figure out what training you need. I eventually went to a climbing coach, who spotted that I was weak in some very specific but unexpected areas. I had adapted my climbing moves to get round these weaknesses, which meant that there was a range of moves that I could not use because I never tried them. I have since started specific strength exercises and it is making a difference. I guess the point is that training is better when is focused on what you need, so the first step is to find where you are weak. If a coach is too much then maybe feedback from other climbers etc?

Good luck with getting strong!

Paul Crusher R 21 Sep 2012
In reply to An Triubhas: There's a few ideas in here too about fingerboarding and how/when to do it, worth a gander.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2011/08/04/crusher-holds-handout-3-5mb/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...