UKC

Would your clone be your ideal climbing partner?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Taurig 20 Sep 2012
I was thinking the other day about how different personalities can bring different things to a climbing partnership, and it lead me to wonder what it would be like to climb with your exact double, or a mental and physical clone if you like?

Personally I take quite a cautious apporach to climbing; reading as much as I can about gear, anchor systems etc., trying to get as much mileage at the easier end of the grades as I can before moving up, tending not to stick my neck out if it doesn't feel 'safe' to me. I think if I climbed with my clone, I could be fairly confident about making it home in one piece, but perhaps at the expense of not pushing as hard as I can and finding my limits.

What about you? Are you the opposite, maybe a bit reckless and too quick to get in over your head, prone to not double checking your knots and anchors and sometimes benefiting from a more cautious partner to bring you back down to earth (not literally!). Or are most people in the middle, having a good balance of safety and adventure, and could climb much as they do now with their double?

Just a bit of fun to distract me from studying.
 Neil Williams 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

I generally find I clash something rotten with anyone with similar personality traits. So ideally no

Neil
 Styx 20 Sep 2012
Good god, no. I'd kill the whining little shit.
 Bimble 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

No chance, I'm crap enough as it is
 gingerdave13 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig: no thanks! I need someone to bounce off and push myself with. If it was just a reflection i'm not sure it'd work.

Plus at least when i'm climbing with someone else i get to trust belays completely at least 50% of the time.

i remember a lovely hanging belay on one bomber hex above me, and a cam beneath my feet!
cb294 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

No thanks, I need a proper rope gun, not another fat, old bastard spouting excuses of why he can´t lead a pitch today...

CB
pasbury 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

No; I know all my excuses and would talk myself out of doing anything at all.

Cloning say Kelly Brook however....
 butteredfrog 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

No, would never leave the pub!

Adam
 stonemaster 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig: You must be joking. Would rather cut the end of the knob off with a pair of rusty secateurs.
 Kemics 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

but on the other hand they could give you perfect beta for a flash
In reply to Taurig: I'd probably spend all day trying to burn myself off before exploding in a giant self absorbed fireball
 Cobbler 20 Sep 2012
In reply to cb294:
> (In reply to Taurig)
>
> No thanks, I need a proper rope gun, not another fat, old bastard spouting excuses of why he can´t lead a pitch today...
>
> CB

Hmmm... seems that I AM your clone!!

jimtitt 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Cobbler:
> (In reply to cb294)
> [...]
>
> Hmmm... seems that I AM your clone!!

There are many of us.
 tehmarks 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

I think that if I climbed with my clone we'd probably both end up having a nervous breakdown on a ledge somewhere.
 alooker 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig: hmm, this armchair is only big enough for one of me
 Pyreneenemec 20 Sep 2012
In reply to Taurig:

Hell no, I'd cut the rope !
 ollieollie 20 Sep 2012
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to Taurig)
>
> No, would never leave the pub!
>
> Adam

my sentiments exactally

OP Taurig 21 Sep 2012
Ooft, now that is what you might call an overwhelmingly negative response! Yeah I suppose I might do my own tits in as well. Think of the perks though. You get to climb any route you want, when you want, as your partner is thinking the same thing. Don't like the look of a climb because it's loose/scary/too hard/? No problem, your partner doesn't mind, they don't want to for the exact same reason.

Back in reality, I think the best time to have two opinions is when the sh1t hits the fan; even with things like navigation it's good to have someone confirming what you thought, or making you question and double check.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...