UKC

Help wanted with a walking related questionnaire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the walking cave man 22 Sep 2012
I am hoping that you are able to help. My 12 year old son has been given a project to do over the next month at school in which he has to design a questionnaire and analyse the results.

Because he loves the outdoors (i.e. camping and walking) he wanted to base his on this subject and we both thought it would be a great idea to get like minded people like yourselves to answer some question. He has therefore come up with 15 basic questions (with a few helping pointers from me and the internet). He’d really be grateful if you would spend five minutes to complete.

Please note that the questionnaire does not ask for any personal information (i.e. your name or contact details) and you should not have to create an account etc and is totally anonymous.

The questionnaire can be found at the following link -

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=91uy4mxk5ciia5j21705

Once he has the results he has to present it at school and therefore the more results he has the better – If any one is interested I’ll post his report etc on my blog in about a month.

Thanks for you time

Andrew
 annieman 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done
 benghull 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man:

Done
 scott44 22 Sep 2012
 Pete Ford 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Completed, no problem.

Pete
 Lucy Wallace 22 Sep 2012

Done- but- its a shame you didn't include the MCofS amongst your walking organisations, as it is the national body for Scotland and you include the BMC.

Also a shame you didn't include Paramo as an option for waterproofs. I know its not a true "hard shell" but my membrane buying days are pretty much over where waterproof jackets are concerned.
 andrew ogilvie 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Snoweider: Agree with all that.
In reply to Snoweider: Many thanks for doing this (and everyone else so far) and totally agree with the points you have raised, however this was my son's questionnaire and he did have a search of the net for these types of organisations and may be missed a few - I'll let him know about this and I'm sure he'd like to include in his results.

I think the same applies with the Paramo and I should have pointed this out, but I didn't want to take over too much as it would have become my work (although it was very tempting!!).

If anyone else has any further information that would be useful to my lad he'll be extremely grateful

Regards

benghull 22 Sep 2012

Is there a reason he went towards the national parks? Or was it just to cover a large amount of area? I only ask because most of my walking is done in Scotland and I only saw the Cairngorms and Loch Lomond as options which doesn't really cover Scotlands walking areas (well for me anyway) Would geographical areas been better? All round though good work and glad to see him taking an interest in the outdoors.
In reply to benghull: I think he want to see where people walked and yes geographical area would have been better, but he loves the Dales and Lakeland and I think he wanted to see who went to these places and how popular they were.

I think may be I should take him up to experience Scotland a bit, as it seems we've neglected a big part of the UK!! (although not intentionally).

He'll be pleased that he's getting so much great response!
 benghull 22 Sep 2012

Can't recommend enough a multi day trip across the Knoydart Penisula, 3 munro's, number of corbetts, amazing scenary and views along Loch Hourn, herds of deer (in the distance, they have bloody good hearing) and some nice easy ridge walking as well.
 Lucy Wallace 22 Sep 2012

Well, its a big well done to him for putting together the questionnaire then, and hope he continues to enjoy his hills. Hope he gets to experience some Scottish ones soon.
Ffat Boi 22 Sep 2012

Done
 Wainers44 22 Sep 2012

Done!
 stonemaster 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Well done to the young man, and you for the guidance. Good luck.
 jezb1 22 Sep 2012
 Banned User 77 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: done..

Bt no option for walking trainers...
 Cameron94 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done.
 Jim Braid 22 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done. There's a number of criticisms, including some of those above, which I would make if it were a professionally produced questionnaire but for a 12 year old boy it's a great effort. Look forward to seeing the report.
 KevinJ 22 Sep 2012
Done
 stonemaster 22 Sep 2012
In reply to Jim Braid: Agreed.
Yrmenlaf 22 Sep 2012

Done

Y.
 Bimble 23 Sep 2012

done
 MtnGeekUK 23 Sep 2012

Done.

Only minor thing for me was no option of pyramid tent (newly converted).

Very good though, looking forward to the results.
 fizz 23 Sep 2012

done

frankly, that's a work of market research / gear genius for a 12 year old
In reply to the walking cave man: Done, good luck to him.
PixieNinja 23 Sep 2012
Done
the walking cave man 24 Sep 2012
Many thanks to everyone who has helped out on this and taken the time to complete
the questionnaire so far and for your comments. The response has been fantastic and
has given my son a massive amount of information.

As the majority of his class are sending out their questionnaires in paper format they
have all been given a couple of weeks to gather the information, although due to the
response, I think Oliver will have more than enough to go on!

I’ll keep the questionnaire running to the end of the week and will post a link, on this
forum, with the results from the questionnaire web page (if anyone is interested),
however will also post Oliver’s report when this has been marked/assessed etc.

Again a massive thank you to everyone from the both of us!!

Andrew
 Trangia 24 Sep 2012

Done
 67hours 24 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done! Great survey, never mind if he missed a few options. If only all online surveys were so quick.
 snowcat 24 Sep 2012
Done
although not collecting personal info it might have been interesting to collect ager and gender data
Wel done to Oliver
Done!
spooky 24 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: done, a well put together questionnaire for a 12 year old. Well thought out.
young-ones 25 Sep 2012
In reply to spooky:

Done
 ben b 25 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done (although as UKC diaspora would be happy to have an 'overseas' area, as it is I have filled in for my old uk habits)

What are his thoughts about interpreting the data? Getting the responses might be the easy bit! Good effort from a young fella.
b
 Nigel Evans 25 Sep 2012

Done. Well done him and well don you for not interfering too much!
 martinph78 25 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Done. I might need to do a few of these myself soon and really like that kwik survery.

Hope he finds teh results useful.

Done
 RachelP 25 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Good luck with the homework. lookforward to the results. I lied on q14 - i dont care what its made of as long as it does the job...that option wasnt there...
XXXX 25 Sep 2012

Done.

Very nice and simple. Could do with 'none of the above' categories in a few places. I only mention it because 'what could I have done differently?' is often needed for school work!

Gog the Mild 27 Sep 2012
In reply to Snoweider:

>
> Also a shame you didn't include Paramo as an option for waterproofs. I know its not a true "hard shell" but my membrane buying days are pretty much over where waterproof jackets are concerned.

Agreed. I put a random answer to this as there wasn't a 'I wouldn't touch either of them' option, and I couldn't submit without ticking one of them.
 nscnick 27 Sep 2012
Good survey, but I couldn't complete it. There needed to be an 'other' option for many questions. I do not use hard shell (or even soft shell) jackets for example, which means that the mandatory questions stops it from submitting.

I also do a LOT of leading of walks throughout the year so do not have any preferred options, and there was a lack of long distance paths or areas in Scotland which is where I am based.

Good luck with the project and I am sure there will be enough responses to get something meaningful.
brett3007 27 Sep 2012
 danieljmarsh 28 Sep 2012
In reply to the walking cave man: Homework done

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...