UKC

is kill bill any good or is it just a gore fest?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Daithi O Murchu 23 Sep 2012

it and its squeal are the only Quentin Tarantino films that i've yet to see

should i bother?

oh and if you haven't seen Hunger Games yet don't its shite
 Mooncat 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu:

The first one was a gore fest but quite an enjoyable one, Kill Bill 2 is embarrassing, Carradine's diatribe makes me cringe, others of course may have alternative views.
alanlgm 23 Sep 2012
whilst it is a typical Tarantino massacre in some places i actually really enjoyed them. The first more than the second but as it is one piece of work you cant see one without the other. Not that i am saying the 2nd one is shite or anything.

if they are the only ones you have not seen then you probably should see them just to have done the set.

its only my fault if you like them though not if you think "that was 4 hours of my life i wont get back"

what about Bunraku have you seen that?

Blue Straggler 23 Sep 2012

Watch them both. Arguably they should have been a single 3 hour film and the way they have been split is a little odd - nearly all the" gore fest" stuff as you call it, is in Vol. I whereas all the "drama" is in Vol II. Uma's performance in Vol II is astounding. If you've seen all of Tarantino's other work then you might as well watch these. Together they are on a par with Inglourious Basterds
topout123 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: Yes watch them. You get hooked in by the story line.
 mrchewy 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: Watching the first one was a waste of my life, loved the second one tho.
 Bulls Crack 23 Sep 2012
In reply to mrchewy:

I've never really understood the: 'waste of my life' 4 hours I won't get back type comments. It was your choice surely - you could have walked out!
 mrchewy 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Bulls Crack: ... and sat in the lobby, waiting for my 20 mile lift home? Nah, I'd much rather sit through it and focus on the popcorn and beer. Kill Bill 1 was truly mindnumbing for me, one of the worst movies I've ever watched all the way through. To be fair to Tony, it was his choice and he loved it, I've made him watch the Russian language Nightw*tch and he loathed that.
 mrchewy 23 Sep 2012
In reply to mrchewy: Love the way the spelling policeman chipped in there!
Cthulhu 23 Sep 2012

I enjoyed them both, but then I neither take films like that too seriously, nor look for any great depth in them...
Cambridge-Climber 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: Enjoyed them both, but then I also enjoyed Death Proof.
PixieNinja 23 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: Enjoyed them both, more the first one though. I like the little animated section too, it that the first or second one?
I also like Deathproof (and planet terror)

And I actually don't mind Hunger games, but I think thats because I read all the books, which in my opinion are brilliant!
 sg 23 Sep 2012
In reply to PixieNinja:

they're both brilliant. highly stylised fights with typically perfect soundtracks. the americanised take on martial arts works so well, I think.
 DaveHK 23 Sep 2012

Don't bother. Both are sh!te. Vastly inferior to Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.
In reply to PixieNinja:

>
> And I actually don't mind Hunger games, but I think thats because I read all the books, which in my opinion are brilliant!

and you are 16 - 20 perhaps?
 Clarence 23 Sep 2012

Hated both of them, I think I was expecting a good Kung Fu film with an american polish rather than the tacky mess it actually is.
In reply to Clarence, all:

Thanks im gonna skip em and watch Armadilo instead
PixieNinja 24 Sep 2012

Haha! I'm 25. My boyfriend also enjoyed reading em and half the staff at the Waterstones i used to work in loved them.

out of interest have you read them then?
 Blue Straggler 24 Sep 2012
> (In reply to PixieNinja)
>
> [...]
>
> and you are 16 - 20 perhaps?

I know a fair few people in their 30s who read and enjoyed The Hunger Games novels. Just because they are pitched toward a younger audience does not make them worthless.
PixieNinja 24 Sep 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Well said!
It was actually a friend's 50+ mum that recommended em to me.
Daithi O Murchu 24 Sep 2012
In reply to PixieNinja:
> (In reply to Daithi O Murchu)
>
> Haha! I'm 25. My boyfriend also enjoyed reading em and half the staff at the Waterstones i used to work in loved them.
>
> out of interest have you read them then?

no cant say i have.

im sure the book has much better characterization and back story than the movie.
 Derry 24 Sep 2012

Loved both KB I & II.

Quentin takes his usual postmodern approach to what is a satire on 1970 Japanese 'Kung Fu' films. Dialogue is as always great, with the exception of the tedious last sequence in KB II where it drags out far too long.
 Ramblin dave 24 Sep 2012
In reply to Derry:
Yeah, I like them both. They're smart, funny, stylish (and stylized), exciting, tightly plotted... they aren't mind-blowing life-changing works of art, but they're clever and well done action thrillers.
 Kieran_John 24 Sep 2012
In reply to PixieNinja:

I haven't read the hunger game books but I thoroughly enjoyed the film, much better than I was expecting (I had it in my head Hunger Games was another "Twilight" style teen-fad). The world the story was set in was interesting and I found the two leads pretty like-able. Oh and I'm 30.

As for Kill Bill, the first time I watched them (at the cinema) I loved the first and hated the second. The next time I watched them I quite enjoyed the first and really enjoyed the second. Worth a go.

Then again I'm not a massive Tarantino fan, I still haven't finished Inglorious Basterds, just couldn't get through it. And Death Proof was awful.
 Flinticus 25 Sep 2012
Both are worth watching.
 Blue Straggler 25 Sep 2012
Just watch them. Then you'll know.
XXXX 25 Sep 2012

I read all three hunger games books in about 2 days and I was left with a feeling of being let down. The idea itself is good although I think they borrowed very heavily on ideas by Stephen King in the running man and the long walk so not even that original. I think the story deserved more than it got as it only ever scratched the surface of the world in which they were based. I wanted to know a lot more about what was going on.

I thought the film was even worse than the book for glossing over what could have been really interesting topics.
 Euge 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Daithi O Murchu: First one is a gore fest, the second is a dialogue fest.

I prefer the second.

E
 The New NickB 26 Sep 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> [...]
>
> I know a fair few people in their 30s who read and enjoyed The Hunger Games novels. Just because they are pitched toward a younger audience does not make them worthless.

I have not read or seen the Hunger Games, but to reinforce your point about books aimed at a younger audience still being worth a read, I started reading a Liam Hearn book not realising it was aimed at a teen audience and enjoyed it enough to buy another.

As for Kill Bill, I enjoyed both, but agree it was maybe a bit stetched and would have been better as one longer film.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...