UKC

Router - How do I choose one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lowersharpnose 24 Sep 2012

I need a new router, the one I have (an old BT Voyager 2110) has lost its ability to do wi-fi.

It is just for home use, with two computers.

How do I work out what to buy?

Or does anyone have a recommendation.
 rallymania 24 Sep 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose:

first port of call... your internet provider... ie will they give you a free one if you sign for another x months?

Philip 24 Sep 2012
As above. If that doesn't work buy a Netgear with 802.11n (the N is the important bit, it's better than G). The more aerials the better. Netgears are usually quite easy to configure and have some of the important features you might find a use for.
In reply to rallymania:

I'll ask them.
 John_Hat 24 Sep 2012

To be honest decent ones are much of a muchness these days. I tend to buy netgear kit as its generally pretty good.
 The Lemming 24 Sep 2012

My vote goes with Belkin. Simple to set up.

I had problems with a few Netgear routers and after a few hours talking on the phone with Tech Support I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

You gets what you pay for.
In reply to John_Hat:

This Netgear one is £40. Is that about right?

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8583

Ropeboy 24 Sep 2012

You have mail.

J
 mypyrex 24 Sep 2012
I used to have a BT Voyager which went on the blink a couple of weeks ago. I phoned my ISP - Plus Net(who are brilliant - a human being answers the phone) and I had a brand new one free of charge the next day.

Plus Net are THE best.
 mypyrex 24 Sep 2012
PS It was already configured. All I had to do - literally - was plug it in and switch it on.
 John H Bull 25 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
My Belkin is rubbish - slows everything down annoyingly. It was cheap, mind.
 John_Hat 25 Sep 2012

Price appears reasonable - I did a price check against the place I normally buy from and its the same - well, 8p cheaper.
In reply to John_Hat:

Thanks.

I needed to make sure I didn't end up with the salad dressing...

youtube.com/watch?v=TxQqWSnsHoA&

mypyrex 25 Sep 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose: Reiteration - Plus Net. They even have a freephone number: 0800 432 0200
 deepsoup 25 Sep 2012
I keep seeing this topic and wanting to recommend this:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cr2-2100w-router-kit-230v
Which is really very good, but probably not particularly helpful here. ;O)
 ollieollie 25 Sep 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose: think i have a netgear still boxed knocking about. pm me if you still need one and i'll have a look
alanlgm 25 Sep 2012

I am a telecoms engineer and i would say that any of the usual "pc world" type routers are all much of a muchness the one thing i will say is that unless you want to surf your wifi from the end of a long garden then the comment about going for an 802.11N router is not worth it.

for the average house the 802.11G standard will get you good reception anywhere in the house and its cheaper.

If you are broadcasting further using an 802.11N router then there is a higher chance of someone being able to piggyback your router as they can do it from further away (i know you can secure it)

In my opinion a netgeear, Belkin or D link router will all be good enough for you and the 802.11G will be cheaper.

John_Hat 25 Sep 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

It does depend on the house - I've got an old house with thick solid brick internal walls and a single router was not enough, Hence I've got two.
 jimtitt 25 Sep 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to lowersharpnose)
> I keep seeing this topic and wanting to recommend this:
> http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cr2-2100w-router-kit-230v
> Which is really very good, but probably not particularly helpful here. ;O)

That´s some nasty tat! Festo OF2200 is the answer.http://www.axminster.co.uk/festool-festool-of2200-eb-set-1-2-router-prod782...
Ten times the price and ten times the quality!
 deepsoup 25 Sep 2012
In reply to jimtitt:
> That´s some nasty tat!

No it isn't. I have one and I use it regularly. It's well made, reasonably powerful and it works well. The build quality is comparable to machines twice the price which to my mind makes it pretty good value for money.

> Festo OF2200 is the answer.http://www.axminster.co.uk/festool-festool-of2200-eb-set-1-2-router-prod782...
> Ten times the price and ten times the quality!

I see you're unfamiliar with the law of diminishing returns.
Ten times the price does not buy ten times the quality.

Twice the quality, maybe - which is good for a) people who *really* need something twice as good as a perfectly adequate machine and b) fashion victims with more money than sense.

vark 25 Sep 2012
In reply to alanlgm:
G will be fine for normal surfing , email etc. but may not cut the mustard for media streaming
 deepsoup 25 Sep 2012
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to jimtitt)
> [...]

Yik. What a completely humourless response that was.
Sorry about that, I was hungry and tetchy. Much happier now. :O)
 Kieran_John 25 Sep 2012
In reply to alanlgm:

There's little to no point going for a wireless G router nowadays, they're old hat. In fact you'd be pushed to find a wireless G router unless you really looked, any recent model will be N.

Definitely go N, especially if you've ANY interest in setting up a home network. Real world speeds for wireless G would be around 2.5mb/sec. N I'd say closer to 8mb/sec. If you're transferring files between PCs that can make a big difference.
 JJL 25 Sep 2012
>
> I need a new router,

A) Gary Gibson
B) Belkin
C) DeWalt

I've not come across one that can do all three.
 teflonpete 26 Sep 2012
In reply to JJL:
> (In reply to lowersharpnose)
> [...]
>
> A) Gary Gibson
> B) Belkin
> C) DeWalt
>
> I've not come across one that can do all three.

I was going to say a DeWalt with a half inch collet, great for doing kitchen worktops...
 iksander 26 Sep 2012
In reply to lowersharpnose: Asus RT-N16, handles NAS and printer server too which many people need at some point

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...